GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Green Lantern" (with F-sharp bell)?

George

Yes.

I wasn't sure you were that big a trivia fan.  

One of the "Green Lanterns" wore a bell insignia.  His people have no concept of LIGHT, let alone color, so they don't have a concept analogous to a "lantern" "light" or "green." So, their Green Lantern is "The F-Sharp Bell".  

Alan Scott was in one script.  The adlibbed line was about how he hid his cheekbones with the mask and expected her not to recognize him.  (I once wore a Halloween costume that covered me completely, and fooled several people into thinking I was someone else.  One other person looked me over for a moment, then greeted me by name. "How did you know it was me????"  "From how you stand."   So, yeah, a domino mask may not cut it.  

I remember the story (I think it was an issue of "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps") where Katma Tui is sent to recruit a new member whose planet is in total darkness.  Without light, the species had no concept of "light" "lantern" or "green" (or, for that matter, "black" or "night").  She had to give him the power ring in terms he could understand, which were auditory.

New one soon.

George

On 2/20/2019 at 9:15 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I remember the story (I think it was an issue of "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps") where Katma Tui is sent to recruit a new member whose planet is in total darkness.  Without light, the species had no concept of "light" "lantern" or "green" (or, for that matter, "black" or "night").  She had to give him the power ring in terms he could understand, which were auditory.

New one soon.

George

https://greenlantern.fandom.com/wiki/Rot_Lop_Fan

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/rot-lop-fan/4005-49711/

http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/05/21/beware-my-powerthe-f-sharp-bell/

" In loudest din or hush profound, my ears catch evil's slightest sound. Let those who toll out evil's knell, beware my power: The F-Sharp Bell!"

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

So how would he know what the insignia was, on his uniform?  :biglaugh:

George

His other senses worked fine.  Since the question was raised, I'd think his insignia would have a slight raising over the shirt.  We have designs that are similar.   The ring knows what suit to give him, so it defaults to a GL uniform, with the special instruction for him and his people to make it a bell insignia.    (Interesting line of thought, I think.)

This film was originally shot as a short entitled 'The Sitter.'  However after the huge success of "Halloween", the screenwriter saw the potential of expanding the short into a full-length feature.

The opening 12 minutes of "Scream" (and parts of "Scream" parodied in "Scary Movie") was an homage to the first 20 minutes of this film.

George

I'm thinking Raf wouldn't mind if we moved on....

James D. Edwards III's social security number was 905-80-5406.

Don't blink or you'll miss the joke about Al Roker, Isaac Mizrahi, Danny DeVito, Sylvester Stallone, Dionne Warwick, Newt Gingrich, and George Lucas.

Don't blink or you'll miss the joke about Al Roker, Isaac Mizrahi, Danny DeVito, Sylvester Stallone, Dionne Warwick, Newt Gingrich, and George Lucas.

Ray-Ban really appreciated the boost in sales of their Predator 2 sunglasses.  They even appeared in the music video.

Both this movie and its sequel had some neat scenes in NYC.  I loved the subway scene at the beginning of the sequel.

17 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ray-Ban really appreciated the boost in sales of their Predator 2 sunglasses.  They even appeared in the music video.

Both this movie and its sequel had some neat scenes in NYC.  I loved the subway scene at the beginning of the sequel.

We saw James' name and social security# as they were being deleted from everything, leaving "J" for Agent J.

The joke was that MiB monitors aliens on Earth, and their monitor showed all of those celebrities, so they're all space aliens. 

The sunglasses in the movies are Ray-Ban Predator 2.    Will Smith used them in the "Men in Black" music video.

The sequel had a scene with Agent J riding a big alien on the (middle) express track.  The subway-goers looked when they passed, then went back to looking up the tunnel for their train.   It felt authentic. 

OK, then.

One of the stars was nicknamed "The Black Hole" because he went through hundreds of pairs of sunglasses during production. He would do a scene, and then lose the pair before filming the next one.

A featured actress became engaged to one of the stars during this shoot, shortly after he saved her from choking, by applying the Heimlich maneuver.

A world record 103 cars were wrecked during filming. "The Junkman" broke the record 2 years later, wrecking 150 cars and a plane. That record held for 2 decades, until over 300 cars were wrecked during the filming of "The Matrix Reloaded."

George

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It is, indeed.  Belushi was "the Black Hole."

I didn't realize that he and Carrie Fisher had been engaged.

George

I was guessing Ackroyd was "the Black Hole" and Belushi and Fisher had gotten engaged.  I remembered reading something about them getting close during the filming, but I forgot the specifics.     I think it's odd that Carrie Fisher's character was never given a name- neither a first NOR a last name.   I thought she might have gotten a bit typecast as a tough chick.  I didn't think there was a problem with that, but her character just disappeared from the story at the end, so we don't know what happened to her later.  Did she just go back to the hairdressing shop? Did she celebrate when he went back to prison?     Did she get caught firing that rifle in the middle of that mess at the end?    Twiggy's character didn't get a name, but we got a little resolution to that- she blew off Elwood to his face, but she did end up waiting for him at the motel. 

On 3/20/2019 at 6:26 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

George

Apparently, they met while on the set of Blues Brothers when Dan Aykroyd was feeding her brussel sprouts (because she was so skinny) and she choked on them and nearly died until Aykroyd gave her the Heimlich maneuver.  Ten minutes later he proposed to her.  At the same time she was in an on and off relationship with her future husband Paul Simon and occasionally having an affair with Harrison Ford. Needless to say she and Aykroyd never were married.

Edited by Human without the bean
formality stuff

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Apparently, they met while on the set of Blues Brothers when Dan Aykroyd was feeding her brussel sprouts (because she was so skinny) and she choked on them and nearly died until Aykroyd gave her the Heimlich maneuver.  Ten minutes later he proposed to her.  At the same time she was in an on and off relationship with her future husband Paul Simon and occasionally having an affair with Harrison Ford. Needless to say she and Aykroyd never were married.

It was Belushi who was engaged to Fisher.

WW is up.

George

On 3/20/2019 at 6:26 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

George

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It was Belushi who was engaged to Fisher.

WW is up.

George

I wasn't debated that George.  Since I came in late on this game after the round ended I was only throwing something out there about Carrie Fisher that maybe anyone hadn't heard about her relationships before i.e, Carrie relationships with Simon, Ford and Dan Aykroyd.  She was having an affair with Ford at the same time they were shooting Star Wars (actors call it chemistry) which is where Paul Simon and her met, and at the same time she was trying to hold on to her relationship with Paul Simon.

Wikipedia has it in her biography.  Both Fisher and Aykroyd became engaged while filming The Blues Brothers and they had both taken blood tests and bought their rings.  Most of this though I got off the Vanity Fair site.  https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/12/carrie-fisher-relationships

I think she was actually engaged to another guy every week back in those days.

WW is up.