GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

*gets curious*   *does some reading*

Uh, George?  Human's linked Vanity Fair article and wikipedia pages for Ackroyd and Fisher mention their engagement.  Belushi's page says nothing about an engagement with Fisher.  Do you have a source saying Fisher was engaged to Belushi?     I mean, I thought she had more in common at the time with Belushi, which meant she would get engaged to him if either.  However, that might be precisely why they WOULDN'T get engaged, of course.   But what you or I think makes sense doesn't change what did or didn't happen.  So, got a source?

Ronny Cox      Ned Beatty      Bill Mumy

This movie was meant to be a major theatrical release.  By the time it was 100% completed, it had been re-written and re-written, passed through many hands, and was released in the US as direct-to-video.  Overseas, it had a limited theatrical release.   It's held to be an awful movie all around. Ronny Cox once said the first script he read was the finest script he'd ever read, and he had no idea how they managed to make a bomb out of it by the time they were done.

Direct to video.

That rules out the unreleased Fantastic Four movie.

I'm thinking along those lines though, because you have some reason to think we would know a D2V movie.

I know there was a godawful Captain America tv series in the 70s or 80s. But that's not D2V.

I don't know either. Don't even know if I'm on the right track. Or tree. Or forest.

I remember liking that the Cap series had Cap remember to wear his helmet when riding a motorcycle.    Then again, if I saw the series now, I might be inspired to hurl. Some things age horribly.   Clips of the Carol Burnett Show don't seem as funny as they used to. 

In other news, you might not be very far off, actually.   BTW, direct to video doesn't mean "and it never aired on TV or cable", in case someone came to that conclusion somehow.  I know it aired on cable here sometime in the past year or so. 

yes, we are on the same page. i ruled out FF because it was never released at all and the CA TV series because itcwas never supposed to be a feature....

oh snap.

it IS Captain America. just not the cheezy tv show.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

yes, we are on the same page. i ruled out FF because it was never released at all and the CA TV series because itcwas never supposed to be a feature....

oh snap.

it IS Captain America. just not the cheezy tv show.

Right- the 1990 movie with Matt Salinger as Cap.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/?ref_=nv_sr_4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America_(1990_film)

It could have been worse. The old movie serial had a normal cop who put on the costume and carried a gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't even give it away. Okay, here goes...

This movie is based on a true crime. The perp of the true crime watched another movie for inspiration. Let's call it That movie. One of the stars of That  movie starred in This movie as the perp he had inspired. Another star of That movie was also in This movie. In one scene (This movie), he tells another character to quit smoking or he (or she: I don't recall) would get cancer. Irony: he was a smoker in real life, and he died of cancer three years later.

The lead actor first heard about the incident on which the film is based as it was actually unfolding in real life.

Another movie swept the Oscars in all the major categories that year, but you can't sweep the writing categories. So while the competitor won Best Adapted Screenplay, This movie won Best Original Screenplay. Neat trick considering how much of the dialogue was improvised.

This clue is plagiarized:

The movie takes place in late August, and the makeup department did fine work making everyone look appropriately sweaty. But it was actually shot in the fall, and a particularly chilly one at that. When they were filming outdoors, you could see the actors’s breath, which obviously wouldn’t do. The highly scientific workaround: ice chips in the mouth to cool the breath before it hit the air.

This is the only film directed by Daniel Stern. 

Also, Stern has been in other movies with John Candy and Eddie Bracken, without being on screen together.  All three are in this movie, but share no screen time.

John Candy's role is uncredited (even on IMDb), though it was a speaking role with nonnegligible screen time.

George

True.

This is the only film directed by Daniel Stern. 

Also, Stern has been in other movies with John Candy and Eddie Bracken, without being on screen together.  All three are in this movie, but share no screen time.

John Candy's role is uncredited (even on IMDb), though it was a speaking role with nonnegligible screen time.

The young star of the film played a similar character in another movie, two years later.

The movie is based out of Chicago Illinois. Amy Morton (who plays the star's mom) also plays on Chicago PD as Sergeant Trudy Platt.

George

• 2 weeks later...