GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Forrest Gump

Correct!

In "Tropic Thunder" "Kirk Lazarus" (Robert Downey, Jr.) tells "Tugg Speedman" (Ben Stiller) that as an actor, it never pays to "go full retard":

Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.

Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?

Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...

And

was from the "X-Files" epidose chronicling the origin of "the Smoking Man"

George

This popular movie spawned three sequels, which is a neat trick when you consider that the main character was an anti-hero who died at the end of the novel on which the first movie in the series was based. Interestingly, the main character kills no one in the first movie (and plenty of people in the sequels).

"I would like" (oh, you would, would you?) "if I may" (You may!) "to take you on a strange journey."

"You're lucky, he's lucky, I'm lucky, we're all lucky! Ha ha ha..."

(The bannister is lucky!)

Rice, newspaper, squirt gun, confetti, toast, keys or a bell, cards- I'm all set!

It was actually an incomplete list of props, but yes.

I included a few callbacks as well.

One character, draped over and straddling a bannister,

shouts about everyone being lucky,

and the audience replies the bannister is lucky.

The ponderous narrator starts slowly, and the audience

rushes him along until he gets that sentence completed.

You have it.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief clip from The Courtship of Eddie's Father, a few notes from The Lonely Man, a package addressed to a pseudonym, a security guard, and a mangled catchphrase connect this 2008 movie to a 1970s tv show inspired by the same source material.