GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

On 8/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, Raf said:

And Walter Matthau's more famous collaboration with Neil Simon was The Odd Couple.

You're up, George!

And she was the first actress to win an Oscar and a Golden Globe, and a Bafta award in the same year.  Just a little something I just learned about California Suite and her acting awards.  [snip; edit] I should have done my research before posting that.  Wrong actress.  That was Audrey Hepburn.  But Maggie Smith did win the Oscar and Golden Globe.  Anyway.

Edited by Human without the bean

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This movie, set in the Greek islands, features music by Swedish musicians.

This is not a sequel.

George

And now back to our regular programming already in progress...........

Edited by Human without the bean
cuz

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"Mamma Mia!" ?

Correct.

I actually didn't see the original (or the theatrical musical), but a lady friend who had seen the sequel wanted to see it again, so I went with her.  As is often the case when I see a movie a have no particularly high expectations for, I was pleasantly surprised.  And, even without seeing the original, it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on, even with the frequent time leaps.  And how can you NOT like a movie filled with ABBA songs (even if Cher sings an octave lower)?

George

• Like 1

Next movie.

In my personal opinion, this movie's principal roles were cast fairly well, and most of the characters looked as they were supposed to look.  One character was criticized for a scene where they played a radio at a ridiculously high volume-which made no sense to the fans.    A few incidental names (seen in the background or mentioned in dialogue)  were snuck in as nods to the fans.     I personally appreciated them incorporating two lines I felt were important. One was "You're good, baby, I'll give you that. But me? I'm magic."  The other, IIRC, was "I'll kill you!  I'll kill-" "You'll kill no one ever again!"

-A few of the costumes didn´t match, but adaptations can be like that.  -One character was originally conceived as black, and this movie cast a black man to play the role. They used clever framing and camera angles to make him look taller and bigger, which helped a lot.  -Oh, just once, how about a shock moment-have the title character shove Stan Lee into traffic instead of stopping him from rushing ahead.  -Nice to see people remembered Ben Urich.

On 8/23/2018 at 1:48 AM, WordWolf said:

Next movie.

In my personal opinion, this movie's principal roles were cast fairly well, and most of the characters looked as they were supposed to look.  One character was criticized for a scene where they played a radio at a ridiculously high volume-which made no sense to the fans.    A few incidental names (seen in the background or mentioned in dialogue)  were snuck in as nods to the fans.     I personally appreciated them incorporating two lines I felt were important. One was "You're good, baby, I'll give you that. But me? I'm magic."  The other, IIRC, was "I'll kill you!  I'll kill-" "You'll kill no one ever again!"

Matt´s hearing was super-enhanced. Why did he BLAST his radio at home? He could have blasted a WALKMAN and heard it clearly everywhere.    John Romita and Quesada were two of the names of staff of the comic that came up in the story.  The issue with Bullseye killing Elektra was adapted in this movie, and they carried the best lines over from the issue. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, WordWolf said:

-A few of the costumes didn´t match, but adaptations can be like that.  -One character was originally conceived as black, and this movie cast a black man to play the role. They used clever framing and camera angles to make him look taller and bigger, which helped a lot.  -Oh, just once, how about a shock moment-have the title character shove Stan Lee into traffic instead of stopping him from rushing ahead.  -Nice to see people remembered Ben Urich.

The Kingpin was originally conceived of as a big black dude, but the (white) staff worried about offending people.   Good framing made MCD look Kingpin huge.    As a kid, Matt stopped Stan Lee's character from walking into traffic.    And Ben Urich has appeared in Spiderman and DareDevil comics.   Bullseye´s costume did NOT match. Elektra's was an interpretation of the costume in the comics. 

The lead actor's agent called him to audition for the part, mistakenly thinking he would be playing Frankie Valli. The actor thought he was all wrong for the part, but auditioned anyway. He got the part, which was decidedly NOT Frankie Valli (who is not even a character in the movie). He was also eight months older than the actor who played his older brother.

The main character's brother was played by an actor who shared the brother's actual last name in real life.

In a pivotal scene, one actor tosses a coin. It's based on a true event. The sister of the person who wins the coin toss in real life was present during filming. She cried uncontrollably. The actor playing her brother tried to console her. Seeming to forget that he was just an actor, she begged him to forego the victory.

5 hours ago, Raf said:

The main character's brother was played by an actor who shared the brother's actual last name in real life.

In a pivotal scene, one actor tosses a coin. It's based on a true event. The sister of the person who wins the coin toss in real life was present during filming. She cried uncontrollably. The actor playing her brother tried to console her. Seeming to forget that he was just an actor, she begged him to forego the victory.

This sounds like it might have been the story of Ricky Ricardo Valenzuela.  aka Ritchie Valens. The movie was called "LA BAMBA."

The coin toss was the famous one. The winter tour's bus had a broken heater.  The headliners chartered a plane to take them to the next location, but there was only space for 3 of them.  The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly had their spots- so the coin toss determined whether Eddie Fuller (I think) or Ritchie Valens got the last seat. Ritchie won the coin toss, got on the plane, and that was the famous plane crash "the day the music died."  I could imagine someone who knew one of them watching a re-enactment of the coin toss and losing it. 

If Lou Diamond Philips is actually slightly older than Esai Morales, that explains the age clue.

If I am correct, I'm sorry, but I'm going to be traveling. I will TRY to check in at some point. Otherwise, I'll respond when I return.  So, IF I am right, FREE POST!

Ritchie Valens' sister was at the filming of the coin toss and broke down, urging him not to get on the plane and asking him why he did.

Lou Diamond Phillips is 6 months older than Esai Morales, who played Valens' brother, Bob Morales.

Phillips would indeed have made a LOUSY Frankie Valli.

7 hours ago, Raf said:

Ritchie Valens' sister was at the filming of the coin toss and broke down, urging him not to get on the plane and asking him why he did.

Lou Diamond Phillips is 6 months older than Esai Morales, who played Valens' brother, Bob Morales.

Phillips would indeed have made a LOUSY Frankie Valli.

The coin toss was between Waylon Jennings and Ritchie Valens.

Actually it wasn't. Jennings gave up his seat for the Big Bopper. Tommy Allsup (one of the Crickets) lost the coin toss).

Dion (of Dion and the Belmonts, a headliner on the tour) claimed that there was no coin toss at that point, and he gave Ritchie his seat. Dion said he won his seat with the coin toss earlier.

Blah blah blah, free post.

Edited by Raf