GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Ok, next one.  

This movie, allegedly, has 2 sequels.  The first "sequel" was originally a completely unrelated script called "the Cellar."  The second "sequel" was originally a completely unrelated script called "the God Particle."  After a few rewrites of their endings, they were then declared to be "sequels" and officially connected to this movie.

This movie is set in NYC. One scene was filmed on a movie set.  It's the only scene I was completely unable to connect to a real location, so I figured it was filmed on a made-up set;. Other than that, I was able to follow the characters in most of the movie and name their locations (although they lost me for a while when they were in Midtown on 6th, north of Times Square and south of Central Park,)  The crew did a fantastic job of disguising Bloomingdales (59th St and Lexington Avenue.)  If I wasn't familiar with the exact entrance the characters used, I might have been lost again.

Well, the Exorcist was not New York, and the sequels, dreadful as they were, did actually seem to be actual sequels.

Same with the Godfather, though even the bad sequel was pretty good.

So, a movie that takes place in New York, with a sort-of-sequel that prominently features an underground set... OH!

4 hours ago, Raf said:

Cloverfield

That's it.  "The Cellar" became "10 Cloverfield Lane",  and "the God Particle" became "the Cloverfield Paradox." 

The writers started with "Cloverfield"- inspired by an attempt to give the U.S. its own Godzilla. 

Your turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's a round of obscure Halloween-style movies.  Name ANY of them to take the round.

A) This movie's cast includes Peter Cushing.  It''s a horror movie, and a murder mystery.  Before the movie's climax, there's a 60-second pause in the movie, allowing the theater audience a chance to see if they can guess which character is the werewolf.

B) This movie's cast includes Vincent Price.  The killer takes revenge for the death of his wife (seen in photos as Caroline Munro).  He himself survived a car crash, but chose to wear prosthetic masks to cover his face, and had to retrain himself to be able to speak again. (The resulting visual is a bit unnerving.)  He plans his killings with a theme of the 10 plagues of Egypt. The ending looked pretty final, but this movie had a sequel anyway.

C) This movie is in the public domain now.  It was a black-and-white horror movie. The producer/director recorded a small expository scene to play before the movie. It was himself, reading the following script:

"I am William Castle, the director of the motion picture you are about to see. I feel obligated to warn you that some of the sensations—some of the physical reactions which the actors on the screen will feel—will also be experienced, for the first time in motion picture history, by certain members of this audience. I say 'certain members' because some people are more sensitive to these mysterious electronic impulses than others. These unfortunate, sensitive people will at times feel a strange, tingling sensation; other people will feel it less strongly. But don't be alarmed—you can protect yourself. At any time you are conscious of a tingling sensation, you may obtain immediate relief by screaming. Don't be embarrassed about opening your mouth and letting rip with all you've got, because the person in the seat right next to you will probably be screaming too. And remember—a scream at the right time may save your life."

D) This movie's cast includes Jim Backus.  A killer has kidnapped someone and trapped them in a coffin.  They have 5 hours to find the victim or they will suffocate.  Theater-goers were given a $1000 certificate for a life insurance policy from Lloyd's of London, to pay off if they died while watching the movie in the theater. They also had "nurses" on hand in case a viewer needed medical assistance, and parked hearses nearby. The directer himself showed up to the premiere emerging from a coffin.

Edited by WordWolf
Forgot to label D.

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

B was a Dr. Phibes movie.  I think the first one was called "The Abominable Dr. Phibes."  I actually remember seeing it in a theater with a high school buddy (he was into horror flicks).

George

That is the correct title!

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, it's a round of obscure Halloween-style movies.  Name ANY of them to take the round.

A) This movie's cast includes Peter Cushing.  It''s a horror movie, and a murder mystery.  Before the movie's climax, there's a 60-second pause in the movie, allowing the theater audience a chance to see if they can guess which character is the werewolf.

B) This movie's cast includes Vincent Price.  The killer takes revenge for the death of his wife (seen in photos as Caroline Munro).  He himself survived a car crash, but chose to wear prosthetic masks to cover his face, and had to retrain himself to be able to speak again. (The resulting visual is a bit unnerving.)  He plans his killings with a theme of the 10 plagues of Egypt. The ending looked pretty final, but this movie had a sequel anyway.

C) This movie is in the public domain now.  It was a black-and-white horror movie. The producer/director recorded a small expository scene to play before the movie. It was himself, reading the following script:

"I am William Castle, the director of the motion picture you are about to see. I feel obligated to warn you that some of the sensations—some of the physical reactions which the actors on the screen will feel—will also be experienced, for the first time in motion picture history, by certain members of this audience. I say 'certain members' because some people are more sensitive to these mysterious electronic impulses than others. These unfortunate, sensitive people will at times feel a strange, tingling sensation; other people will feel it less strongly. But don't be alarmed—you can protect yourself. At any time you are conscious of a tingling sensation, you may obtain immediate relief by screaming. Don't be embarrassed about opening your mouth and letting rip with all you've got, because the person in the seat right next to you will probably be screaming too. And remember—a scream at the right time may save your life."

D) This movie's cast includes Jim Backus.  A killer has kidnapped someone and trapped them in a coffin.  They have 5 hours to find the victim or they will suffocate.  Theater-goers were given a $1000 certificate for a life insurance policy from Lloyd's of London, to pay off if they died while watching the movie in the theater. They also had "nurses" on hand in case a viewer needed medical assistance, and parked hearses nearby. The directer himself showed up to the premiere emerging from a coffin.

A)  was "the Beast Must Die."   I saw that on SciFi once, IIRC.   (I DID guess correctly, but I had it down to 2 suspects and then guessed.)

B) was "the Abominable Dr Phibes", as George said.   IIRC, TCM's aired this in October. (Possibly AMC.)

C) was "the Tingler."  I discovered it by accident, looking among movies released into the public domain.  It's watchable, but not nail-biting.  The monster is something that can kill- but it can be stopped if the victim SCREAMS.   During the movie, there's a moment where it looks like the monster crosses the film projection, like it was in the booth or in front of the booth. The announcer then says "THE TINGLER IS LOOSE IN THIS THEATER! SCREAM, SCREAM FOR YOUR LIVES!"   The victims are supposed to feel a tingling if the monster is attacking them- either scream now or die in seconds.   In some of the bigger markets, they had some of the audience chairs rigged to vibrate a bit on command- which is why the opening announcement is a setup to a unique promotional (or gag, depending on your perspective.)

D) was "Macabre."  William Castle ALSO directed this one, which explains all the gimmicks.

George's turn!

The star/director has said that this film was "my funniest picture to that time."   I disagree.  I can think of at least two funnier ones.

In an interview with 'Esquire' magazine, the star once said of the making of this movie: "When good weather was needed, it rained. When rain was needed, it was sunny. The cameraman was Belgian, his crew French. The underlings were Hungarian, the extras were Russian. I speak only English - and not really that well. Each shot was chaos. By the time my directions were translated, what should have been a battle scene ended up as a dance marathon. In scenes where [my co-star] and I were supposed to stroll as lovers, Budapest suffered its worst weather in twenty-five years".

The film began development at Fox and was intended to be their one of their big Christmas 1974 releases. Eventually, it went into turnaround to United Artists due to their relationship with the star, who wouldn't make a film for Fox for almost thirty years.

George

Since we know the star...

Woody Allen was working on a script about two New Yorkers who try to solve a murder when he got stuck. When blocked, Allen noticed a book on Russian History at his home. As the deadline was fast approaching for delivery of a contracted screenplay, Allen got inspired and decided to spoof the genre of Russian novel and history for this movie instead, putting the other script on the back-burner. As such, the other script was not finished until later, but it eventually became Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993).

The wheat scene with towards the end of the film is a direct visual parody of Ingmar Bergman's classic Persona (1966). The juxtaposition of faces is an homage to Bergman's trademark shots.

The philosophical "babble" between the characters (e.g. "subjectivity is objective") actually comes from the writing of Russian philosophers G.I. Gurdjieff and P.D. Ouspensky, as does the title of this film.

The star/director has said that this film was "my funniest picture to that time."   I disagree.  I can think of at least two funnier ones.

In an interview with 'Esquire' magazine, the star once said of the making of this movie: "When good weather was needed, it rained. When rain was needed, it was sunny. The cameraman was Belgian, his crew French. The underlings were Hungarian, the extras were Russian. I speak only English - and not really that well. Each shot was chaos. By the time my directions were translated, what should have been a battle scene ended up as a dance marathon. In scenes where [my co-star] and I were supposed to stroll as lovers, Budapest suffered its worst weather in twenty-five years".

The film began development at Fox and was intended to be their one of their big Christmas 1974 releases. Eventually, it went into turnaround to United Artists due to their relationship with the star, who wouldn't make a film for Fox for almost thirty years.

George

How about that.

Ok, so this movie was released several times, most recently in 1986.

Maybe you've seen it? If you have kids, there's a lesser chance they've seen it.

If your KIDS have kids, there's minimal chance your grandkids have seen it.

But you know the main line of one song, more likely than not.

I wouldn't say it's a tale as old as time. Maybe 160 years or so, give or take.

The lead actor received praise for his performance. Ironically, the lead character is one of the reasons your kids probably haven't seen it and your grandkids almost certainly have not.

That's not to say they haven't been exposed to the story. Just not in a movie. They night have encountered the characters, setting and music at the end of a very long line.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:20 PM, Raf said:

How about that.

Ok, so this movie was released several times, most recently in 1986.

Maybe you've seen it? If you have kids, there's a lesser chance they've seen it.

If your KIDS have kids, there's minimal chance your grandkids have seen it.

But you know the main line of one song, more likely than not.

I wouldn't say it's a tale as old as time. Maybe 160 years or so, give or take.

The lead actor received praise for his performance. Ironically, the lead character is one of the reasons your kids probably haven't seen it and your grandkids almost certainly have not.

That's not to say they haven't been exposed to the story. Just not in a movie. They night have encountered the characters, setting and music at the end of a very long line.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, my oh my what a wonderful day.  Plenty of sunshine coming my way...

Uncle Remus was the first human to star in a Disney animated flick.

Naturally, "Disney's Song of the South" is attacked and not aired.

People are way too thin-skinned. (Especially in the US.)

And that is the correct movie.

Our generation may have seen it. The generation midway and directly after us, probably not. Our grandkids: Almost certainly did not.

Zip-e-dee-doo-dah was the song I had in mind.

And the long line is right before you get into and off of Splash Mountain at DisneyWorld or DisneyLand.

Bre'er Rabbit would be proud.

Next movie.

-The plane used in the movie was a Boeing 737-800, visibly modified.

-If you swap out the vermouth for olive brine, you make a "dirty" martini, for those who were curious and didn't know.

-A character was named in this movie and appeared in sequels. The SPELLING of his name, however, changes in a later movie.

-One actor's role expanded- and he got an actual name rather than a title- because the actor worked well with the others.

-One actor got to work for about 2 hours for his work on the entire film, but the editing and other work make it look like he was a LOT busier.  In fact, he said he wasn't sure exactly WHAT movie he was working on at the time.

-One important prop was made up of about 450 separate pieces.  It weighed 90 pounds.

-One conspicuous product placement was very appropriate. The lead actor had credited them once with helping him turn his life around (sorta.)  So, having them appear at a moment in the movie where that may have been said to happen may have been thought of as a nod to the actor.

-This particular film changed a lot- both for the Studio, and its parent company, and for movie-going afterwards, actually.

Ok. So it's a movie where the lead actor is someone who's had a troubled life.

That actually made me think of someone immediately. And it fits a good number of the other clues.

An actor (not the lead) goes from unnamed to named because of his chemistry with the rest of the cast... check.

An actor who spends two hours working, doesn't even know what movie he's working on? That sounds like someone who didn't meet the rest of the cast because he... didn't actually appear onscreen with any of them. Like John Forsythe in Charlie's Angels. So. A voice... check.

Changed a lot for the studio, its parent company... and movie-going? check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check... with many more pending.

Modified Boeing... ok, stumped.

A prop that weighs 90 pounds? What is it made of, lead?

I think I got it. Not sure about the spelling trivia, the plane, the martini, what product was placed.

I'm going to go with: Sherlock Holmes!