GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got anything WordWolf.  Is it 6'4" 20' yet?  Oh, yeah, that's past now.  I guess that I'm in after-glow from that last clue.  I still can't believe  from those clues that nobody got "Lincoln"!  I even spoon fed you.  OK.  Give me a few moments and I'll come up with something .

The lead actor in accepting his Best Actor Oscar dedicated his award to J T Walsh who had died shortly before the awards aired.  The same actor would also add compulsive ticks to his performance just out of the camera's view.  The lead actress took a break after the film for two years citing she had been working since she was nine years old.  There was 26 years difference between their ages.

The movie's title was translated as Mr. Cat-poop in Hong Kong apparently the title character's name means  something  like " cat-poop"in Cantonese.  The original title of the film was "Old Friends".  Art Garfunkel auditioned for a major role and was  turned down. He sings the song "Always Look on the Brighter Side of Life" as the credits roll at the end of the movie.

Edited by Human without the bean

On 7/18/2020 at 1:00 AM, Human without the bean said:

The lead actor in accepting his Best Actor Oscar dedicated his award to J T Walsh who had died shortly before the awards aired.  The same actor would also add compulsive ticks to his performance just out of the camera's view.  The lead actress took a break after the film for two years citing she had been working since she was nine years old.  There was 26 years difference between their ages.

The movie's title was translated as Mr. Cat-poop in Hong Kong apparently the title character's name means  something  like " cat-poop"in Cantonese.  The original title of the film was "Old Friends".  Art Garfunkel auditioned for a major role and was  turned down. He sings the song "Always Look on the Brighter Side of Life" as the credits roll at the end of the movie.

The lead actor's character played alongside a dog and the dog stayed with the actor during filming at his Hollywood house.  A little fun was made in the end credits stating, "no animals used in this film were in now way mistreated" adding "no actors used in this film were in no way mistreated".  Animal activist and actress Betty White was offered a role but when she heard about how the dog would be mistreated she turned it down.  This was the most recent movie to win both Academy Awards for leading actors.  

On 7/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Human without the bean said:

This was the most recent movie to win both Academy Awards for leading actors.  

This should give anyone an idea of which movie this is.  There has only been six movies that have done this.  One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, On Golden Pond, Silence of the Lambs and I forget the others, but the same actor had already achieved this feat when he did it again with this clue and actress.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner.  When I thought of posting the movie I thought there would be a lot more trivia or celebrity scoops to share about but there wasn't really a whole lot to share other than what I had posted.  Nicholson would stay in character off camera expanding the character with quirks and repetitive behavior.  When he was selected for Best Actor at the Oscars he made his way to the podium by mimicking his character Melvin Udall by not stepping on any cracks or crevices on the floor a trait that he displayed in As Good As It Gets.

Good job you're up.

Edited by Human without the bean

Another May-December story.

Columbia Pictures really wanted Marlon Brando to star in this film, for his "box office allure", even though he hadn't been in a film since 1980.  The director and the female lead, however, insisted on the actor who would get the part being in this film, resulting in his only Academy Award nomination.   (He didn't win.)

Reportedly, apparently the Columbia Pictures studio did not want to make the movie at all because it had no "sex or violence" in it.

The female lead once said on the A&E television show Biography that her kissing scene with the star in this picture was the best on-screen kiss she had ever had.

George

Columbia Pictures really wanted Marlon Brando to star in this film, for his "box office allure", even though he hadn't been in a film since 1980.  The director and the female lead, however, insisted on the actor who would get the part being in this film, resulting in his only Academy Award nomination.   (He didn't win.)

Paul Newman was also considered for the lead.

Reportedly, apparently the Columbia Pictures studio did not want to make the movie at all because it had no "sex or violence" in it.

The female lead once said on the A&E television show Biography that her kissing scene with the star in this picture was the best on-screen kiss she had ever had.

One of the few films to successfully appeal its MPAA rating. In a pivotal scene with the star, "Bobby Jack" asks him if he and "Emma" have been "f******". The MPAA "automatic language rule" normally does not allow even a single instance of a "sexually derived" vulgarity, in a sexual context, in a PG-13 release.

The female lead had won two Academy Awards before this film, but she was not nominated for one for this film.

The film was originally scheduled for general release during the 1985 Christmas Day weekend, but Columbia moved it to the weekends of January 17 and January 31, 1986, when they saw the holiday lineup of films. They did a limited, selected, release December 25, 1985.

George

Not Die Hard.  See the fourth clue, below.  :spy:

Paul Newman was also considered for the lead.

One of the few films to successfully appeal its MPAA rating. In a pivotal scene with the star, "Bobby Jack" asks him if he and "Emma" have been "f******". The MPAA "automatic language rule" normally does not allow even a single instance of a "sexually derived" vulgarity, in a sexual context, in a PG-13 release.

The female lead had won two Academy Awards before this film, but she was not nominated for one for this film.

The film was originally scheduled for general release during the 1985 Christmas Day weekend, but Columbia moved it to the weekends of January 17 and January 31, 1986, when they saw the holiday lineup of films. They did a limited, selected, release December 25, 1985.

The character finally admits he's 60.  The star, at the time, was actually 57.

According to the Wikipedia website, part of the deal from the Columbia Pictures, which at that time was owned by The Coca-Cola Company, included an eight line sequence of the female and male leads saying the word "Coke" and also having Coke signs appear prominently in the film. 

George