GreaseSpot Cafe

DOES ANYONE HAVE A RED CAR?

RottieGrrrl

Okay, I'm going to just throw this out here. I don't know if anyone will respond or not. But does anyone here have a RED car? And if you do..do you find that birds poop on it more? I just got a brand new shiny red 2013 Camry last year, my first new car EVER. And I'm finding, now that it's spring (I got it late in 2013) that I have to go out EVERY day, sometimes twice a day (while I'm at work) and Wipe off all the POOP! I DONT park near trees, here or at home, so I just don't get it! And I feed the birds every day too! So I feel betrayed!

Well I finally googled this conundrum, and I found articles that say that YES! Birds are attracted to RED CARS!!! BIRDS LIKE TO POOP ON RED CARS!! So at least I know I'm not alone! Does anybody else who has a red car notice this?

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I used to have a red car. But sorry, Rottie, I didn't notice that it was a bird poo attractant.

We have covered car port, which keeps birds off the car. I also feed the birds. I could suggest a cover that you can wash/hose down every so often. That's what I would do if I didn't have the car port. Birds poop on stuff. If you have something over the car, (like a garage or car port, they can't poop on the car so easily.

I have a red car. It's a dark red. Birds poop on it.... but they also pooped on my silver car, my blue car, my white car...well, you get the picture. What I suggest is that you always keep a good coat of wax on the car to protect the finish. In addition, I recommend you buy a bottle of detailing fluid such as Eagle One *Wipe and Shine*. Bird poo contains uric acid so it can damage the paint if allowed to remain on the car too long. What I do is spay a fine mist of detailing fluid onto a microfiber cloth. (do not use terry cloth.) Then, I gently remove the poo, moving the cloth in one direction. You can spray a small amount directly on the spot and let it soak a bit if needed. (Do not move the cloth in a swirling fashion.) If the wax is still good, removal will be easy and no damage will result. The key is to never let the wax coating become depleted. I wax (by hand) about 6 times a year. I use a synthetic wax called Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. it's a personal preference. (Asking which wax is best is like asking who makes the best pizza.)

Kit and waysider, those are both excellent sugguestions. And it really is a REAL problem. I go out every couple of hours to check on my car, and NOBODY elses car in the lot has bird poop, but MINE is BOMBED. Sigh. But thanks, I'll take your suggestions into serious consideration as the Spring progresses. :)

Oops!

Further oops!

Residents in some parts of the UK had to use umbrellas when they went out of the house. And had to wash cars twice a day. As to laundry... :( There were some interesting BBC news clips but I can't find those. Ugly.