GreaseSpot Cafe

Seeing the dark

I think Oakspear's comment (#35 on this thread) hit the nail on the head. Christians or any other religion that claims "to know" for certainty anything is only peddling BS.

This sounds like that line from the Kansas song 'carry on my wayward son', if I claim to be a wise man, then it's sure that I don't know. Hey, I like one liners.

Selective reasoning is one thing. Electing not to reason is another. Vague criticisms are nothing but personal insults in disguise. Why not just say hey, we don't agree, but I respect your right to disagree with me on this and other issues.

Either that, or grow a pair and say what you're really thinking.

I don't have to convince you, nor do I really wish to. <B>My journey is my own.</B>

That says it all and it is as it should be. We are all individuals. All our journeys are personal and our own.

It does not diminish my opinion of you nor would it cause me to lose respect.

You do still have to obey your AP style book, though. :)/>

Edited by Ron G.
  • Upvote 1

quote: Does it take faith to deny Zeus, Thor and Odin? No. Nor does it take faith to deny Satan. He doesn't exist. It takes faith to say he does. I reject that, and it does not take faith to do so.

quote: Christians or any other religion that claims "to know" for certainty anything is only peddling BS.

2 plus 2 = 4.

Raf doesn't say IMO he doesn't exist. Nor does he say I don't believe he exists. He's SURE! He says "He doesn't exist." So, by Oakspear's definition, Raf is "peddling BS". Call it WHATEVER you wish, if someone is sure that the devil doesn't exist, that's faith. We're speaking English here, correct?

Raf doesn't say IMO he doesn't exist. Nor does he say I don't believe he exists. He's SURE! He says "He doesn't exist." So, by Oakspear's definition, Raf is "peddling BS". Call it WHATEVER you wish, if someone is sure that the devil doesn't exist, that's faith. We're speaking English here, correct?

John, you're playing a silly semantics game with this one. And you're not very good at it. You don't have to declare that something is your opinion every time that is the case, especially on a discussion forum that specializes in opinion.. It's implied. Nor do you have to preface every belief with an "I believe" disclaimer. If you state it, it's implied you believe it. That has nothing to do with faith. Faith, as the word is being used here, connotes a belief in something for which no logical proof exists. It's not "not believing" in something for which no logical proof exists. If you're really concerned with the rules of the English language, take a few moments and learn about logical fallacies (begging the question) and double negatives.

God's Kind first

my friend raf "sorry"

God is ony a picture that we made as God's Kind

I am not not here trying to get in any illusion that i believe in

God is a illusion and God is real

one can be a lie and the truth also

the key is searching man,s weakness of lie against God's truth

anything man writes has man's lies in it

but it also has a little God;s truth

when we speak in tonges we premtote illusions with a little truth

that what the written word is illusions with small parts of truth

we must search out the truth over the illusions

with love and a holy kiss roy

Edited by year2027

Thank you, waysider, for pointing out what should have been the obvious. I never said I know God doesn't exist, and if you've paid any attention to this thread, you can see that I had a specific post about it. Which means either that johniam has not really read the thread and all my comments, he's lying, or he lacks basic reading comprehension skills. Since b and c require me to engage in a personal attack, i'll go ahead and hope the answer is a, he hasn't read the thread. Because it would be wrong and against the rules to call someone a liar or an idiot.

Edited by Raf

Recap: when I said:

Anosticism is a feature of every point on that scale except 1 and 7. Most atheists I have encountered are a 6. Some like to get clever and say "6.9999." The point is, they don't pretend to "know that they know that they know" there is no God. But they're pretty confident on the subject. That confidence may sometimes come off as certainty, but that's because we're all human and we don't stand around qualifying every single sentence we utter. When I said in my opening post on this thread that I say in my heart there is no God, I said it with confidence, not certainty.

What I meant was:

Agnosticism is a feature of every point on that scale except 1 and 7. Most atheists I have encountered are a 6. Some like to get clever and say "6.9999." The point is, they don't pretend to "know that they know that they know" there is no God. But they're pretty confident on the subject. That confidence may sometimes come off as certainty, but that's because we're all human and we don't stand around qualifying every single sentence we utter. When I said in my opening post on this thread that I say in my heart there is no God, I said it with confidence, not certainty.

What I meant was NOT

Well, ONE of us is speaking English here, but his name does not rhyme with Ron Eye Yam. Enough double speak and twisting people's words around, John. E nuff.

Sometimes these verbal gymnastics remind me of that old kids' game, "Mother, may I?"

"Take two steps forward."

(takes two steps forward.)

"Ha!... you didn't say "Mother, may I?".

edit:

"Yeah, but permission was implied."

re-edit:

or was it? :biglaugh:/>

Edited by waysider

The shifting of the burden of proof is the age-old tactic of theism, and it is what John is doing here.

He asserts that I have no proof for the claim there is no devil, and therefore the position that there is no devil requires faith.

Bull. That is a lie.

There is no need for me to disprove a proposition for which there is no proof in the first place. It is not the responsibility of unbelievers to disprove Zeus, Allah, Vishnu. Thor, Odin, Willy Wonka, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, fairies, goblins, gremlins, E.T.'s, Peter Pan, Candy Man, the bogeyman, werewolves, vampires, succubbi, drop dead fred, Satan, or God. It takes faith to believe in any of those things. Not believing in them does not take faith.

The burden is on the person who believes in those things to prove those things. Continuing to believe in those things despite being unable to prove them takes faith.

Rejecting any of those claims does NOT take faith. It is simply an expression of my opinion that you have not met the burden of proof.

Remember, the burden of proof always falls on the person making an AFFIRMATIVE claim.

"There is no God" is not an affirmative claim. It does not await proof. And no matter how you try to rephrase it, it will never be an affirmative claim. An affirmative claim is one that asserts something exists or happened, etc.

"There is no devil" is not an affirmative claim.

Your failure to prove your claim is sufficient reason for me to disbelieve it. It doesn't become my responsibility to disprove your claim. You're the one with faith, not I.

Whoa whoa now, Raf.. you're going a little bit too far now. You were right on about everything else but did you have to include succubbi in the list? Sure belief in fairies, gods and devils is B.S., no doubt, but succubbis are for real dude. I know. I can feel their truth in my dreams. Beautiful pixie like harbingers of pleasure that come to me in my most needful moments. Anyone who doesn't accept them are going to Hell..

sudo

God first

thanks Raf

why fight over anything johniam has a right to believe as he wants do you understand the bible understanding of faith it sure does not sound like

because there two meaning to faith

love Roy

thanks johniam

i have faith too but my believing is weak

love Roy

Faith is something that you can not prove it you believe it anyway

beiving is something that has proven to be truth you saw it your own two eyes

the two kinds of faith

Edited by year2027

Whoa whoa now, Raf.. you're going a little bit too far now. You were right on about everything else but did you have to include succubbi in the list? Sure belief in fairies, gods and devils is B.S., no doubt, but succubbis are for real dude. I know. I can feel their truth in my dreams. Beautiful pixie like harbingers of pleasure that come to me in my most needful moments. Anyone who doesn't accept them are going to Hell..

sudo

You've convinced me.

Why does ANYONE care what Raf believes? Why does anyone care what johniam believes? Bottom line, Raf came to change his beliefs and shared what that means to him and how he reasoned it out. Nobody else's beliefs are jeopardized by a person doing that, are they?

• Upvote 1

Agreed, Rocky. And I shared my "conversion" because of the nature of this forum, the discussions we have and the positions I have taken in the past. If this were a forum of Battlestar Galactica fans, I would not have mentioned it.

Of course, a fan of Battlestar Galactica who later changes his mind is never accused of never having been a real fan in the first place.

quote:

Second, there seems to be a defense mechanism built into some Christians that requires them to slander those who once embrace and later leave the faith as never having truly been believers.

I posted that you were no different than me. How could I "slander" you? Am I also slandering myself?

Agreed, Rocky. And I shared my "conversion" because of the nature of this forum, the discussions we have and the positions I have taken in the past. If this were a forum of Battlestar Galactica fans, I would not have mentioned it.

Of course, a fan of Battlestar Galactica who later changes his mind is never accused of never having been a real fan in the first place.

what if they were a Cylon and didn't know it?

a Battlestar Galactica fan who is a Cylon but doesn't know it.

oh that's frackked up!

quote:

Second, there seems to be a defense mechanism built into some Christians that requires them to slander those who once embrace and later leave the faith as never having truly been believers.

I posted that you were no different than me. How could I "slander" you? Am I also slandering myself?

If you are suggesting that you have secretly been atheist all along, I accept your confession with some genuine surprise.

If you are suggesting that I have been secretly atheist all along, that makes you a liar, a bearer of false witness, a slanderer.

Telling the truth about yourself does not give you license to lie about other people.

Edited by Raf

• 1 year later...

Hi Raf!

Well, first off, I'm back after a rather long absence.

Thank you for your candor and honesty about confessing to becoming an atheist.

While I do believe in the existance of the higher power, commonly called "God", I do not believe God is a person that either needs or demands worship, as if he were an egomaniac (I do understand the personification of God however).

I would fall to about #3 on your scale between 1 and 7 (Basically a deist). However, while I do believe in an afterlife, I don't know exactly what it's going to be like. As many of you know, I have embraced Christian Universalism for over 10 years now (That is the belief that everyone will be reconciled to God someday). Currently, I'm considering, that even if there is a higher dimension in the afterlife, there will be no post-mortem judgment of any kind (If I may quote scripture here, it says that "He who is dead is free from sin" [Romans 6:7].) That being said, why would there be a need for such a judgment if we have in fact been freed from sin? The only other possibility is that we return to earth with a new and different identity (known as "reincarnation"). I was asked by my pastor last year what I expect when I die. I repsonded that I don't know, since I do believe that my human mind will cease upon my death. My human mind cannot fathom what a spiritual mind is like.

Raf, I know that when you were a Christian, we had our differences on what a Christian is. Of course we have dialogued quite often at Facebook and have had some of the best conversations ever.

Oh yes, and when I do see you in Heaven there WON'T be any 'splaining to do! Not from you, not from me, nor anyone else! :)

• Upvote 1

Back when I was running the Living Epistles Society website and forum, I intended to make it a "safe haven" for Christian ex-followers of TWI, but I soon realized that I had put myself in the unenviable position of having to decide who was and was not a Christian. I made a lot of judgment calls (Mormons - no, Jehovah;s Witnesses, yes). But I was really uncomfortable with being in that position. Chuck, if your views are now what they were then, I can see why I would not have considered you Christian, but really, it is SO not my place to judge. It never was.

It was easier to abandon the site than it was to manage it.

In any event, you have always been very gracious about it and I had forgotten our "clash" or whatever you want to call it. I'm grateful for your acceptance and forgiveness.

Peace.

Oh, and welcome back.