GreaseSpot Cafe

Seeing the dark

I really have no desire to rehash the old conversation except to answer MRAP's question and, seriously, suggest that you should take the question elsewhere. Not to protect the integrity of this thread, but because I have nothing new to add.

I have been told that your "tongue" can change, well, having SIT'd for nearly 50 years, I have lost track of how many tongues I have spoken. At one point it seemed I tossed around 3 different tongues in the same period of time - not mixed at the same time of course (maybe I was more spiritual then, that's only a joke on my part, only Jesus knows).

I didn't plan on commenting on this, but, given Raf's willingness to allow some of the discussion to continue here, perhaps I will (to see what his take is on it.)

From my perspective, the tongue used in my private prayer life seems more or less unchanged from what it was initially (40 some years ago.) Oddly enough, it always seemed to be something different in what we commonly referred to as a "believer's meeting." Why it changed or changes, I don't know and I don't recall being aware of any effort to intentionally change it... which might raise the question of how or why it's done, if it's not supernatural. Maybe there is one, but I can't say that I've heard of much of a sensible reason or explanation for it. Perhaps Raf knows of one (but then, he probably doesn't care if there isn't.)

The explanation is that you're making it all up. It's changing because you're changing. You're exposed to different sounds coming from different languages that you encounter in your travels, in the things you see and hear, in the things you read, or in your natural ability to think and juxtapose different letters and combinations in your head.

Produce a language and I need to change my post-supposition.

It's changing because you're changing. You're exposed to different sounds coming from different languages that you encounter in your travels, in the things you see and hear, in the things you read, or in your natural ability to think and juxtapose different letters and combinations in your head.

That might fit better if I hadn't just pointed out that it (i.e., for private prayer) actually hasn't changed much in over 40 years.

This is getting tiresome.

Oddly enough, it always seemed to be something different in what we commonly referred to as a "believer's meeting." Why it changed or changes, I don't know and I don't recall being aware of any effort to intentionally change it... which might raise the question of how or why it's done, if it's not supernatural.
That might fit better if I hadn't just pointed out that it (i.e., for private prayer) actually hasn't changed much in over 40 years.

Make up your mind. You asked me to explain changes. I gave a generic response. It changes in a believer's meeting because you're aware you're in a believer's meeting and you change it. No supernatural explanation required.

Produce a language and I'll be forced to modify my post-supposition.

• 1 year later...

Raf, I never commented on this thread initially, but since I participated in so much of some of this original discussion in the area of SIT, I just wanted to tell you I respect your conclusions and statements of belief or lack thereof even if they differ from my own.   I appreciate your writings here and interacting with you, you have a logical mind and good expression. 

Many of us who joined a cult did so in pursuit of virtue.   We mostly have all taken different paths since that time.  My only hope for you and all of us is that whatever the path, seeing the dark won't cause us to give up on our pursuit of virtue, but rather to continue to grow as human beings in our capacity and compassion, wherever that may lead us.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2017 at 1:06 PM, Raf said:

Thanks Chock. Sorry for all the times I let my emotions get the best of me.

yeah me too.  we were both in a cult that wreaked havoc on our emotions, logic, spirituality, relationships.

it's understandable.  I'm still damaged and may still not react the best 100% of the time as a result.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...