GreaseSpot Cafe

obsessed

cman

Thinking about myself, I can see that I have been obsessed with quite a few things in my life.

Younger, a boy, I would read every book written by one author. Coin collecting, and other shiny things.

Then fishing, then hunting. Yeah...fishing... Thinking about all the gear I bought and never used. I think those fishing lures baited me..lol. I mean look how cool they look! And hey! Look at this rod and reel!

Then the way. If you want to be obsessed, this is a paradise. From 2 character words to obsess over, to books and thoughts and feelings.

About feelings, there was the drugs and alcohol I was obsessed with. Drugs before the way and alcohol after. Chasing a feeling it seems like. But not unlike many other obsessions.

Lately I have been into pocket knives. I bought 2 in one order. Within a month I had 6 pocket knives to admire!

Then flashlights. Wow! The new LEDs are something to behold! More powerful than any of the old types I had. Then you have to get the brightest and best ya'know. Best thrower (spot light), and best flood. Best for overall, or modes or looks, or size......I think I have maybe 15 flashlights. Could never use them all in a few lifetimes.

Not saying that being obsessed is wrong, just that I noticed it in me.

I suppose being obsessed is okay if it does not hurt yourself or others.

And I'm not sure if "obsessed" is the right word to describe...maybe focused or focused to a fault!

Anyone that is more than good at a job or sport or career or hobby is focused or obsessed to a definite degree.

Some things come naturally in the various daily duties I suppose.

From what I hear of military folks like pilots and SEALs and others. They are obsessed or totally focused on the task.

Still I do not think it to be wrong in itself to be so focused.

Just that I might want to be careful what I do get obsessed with.

Murders are from being obsessed too, from what I read and see. Many crimes I think.

Kind of taken back a bit to see the different things I've been into.

Normal. Maybe OCD, not sure about the compulsive part.

I'll try to be more obsessed careful and watch what I'm obsessed with.

Hey you want to buy one of my pocket knives or flashlights? I have too many!

Hm, on second thought, I'll just let you look at them.....lol...

Edited by cman

Oh well, everything within reason. Don't go collecting the wrappers from every candy bar you eat. We'll think you have Asperger's Syndrome if that happens.

I wouldn't call that obsession. I would call it a heightened interest. Lots of people do it. Six pocket knives in a six month stretch is far from an obsession, it's just a collection. It all sounds pretty normal to me. I mean, that's how everyone is, back on my home planet, Mars.

6 pocket knives in 1 month. Still normal. And now near to 20. With some sets. I have stayed under a hundred for each though. Not easy. I do have my eye on some over a hundred.

The human condition. It's not looked at from aliens, just us.

Thinking about myself, I can see that I have been obsessed with quite a few things in my life.

sometimes I think Solomon's 700 wives were different veins of wisdom he obsessed over

Wow! This thread rings so true for me. When I was young I was obsessed with music and art. Then I got involved with TWI – a major obsession for 12 years of my life.

Once I left, I became preoccupied with reading stuff on cults, psychology, philosophy, theology – I mean all over the place – just trying to unravel this tangled web in my head. With such an all-consuming passion to fix issues in my life I even had to seek professional help.

Then my wife (Tonto) got me interested in something she found – Grease Spot Café. For a while I had an enormous compulsion to read and post. Often it was good therapy; then I stayed away for a while after I realized what it had become – another one of my obsessions.

So maybe it's appropriate – and perhaps convenient - that I come clean here and now on this thread. Some of you may think you have an idea of what type of person I am by the content of my rambling rants…

You might be thinking "uh oh, did he start his own cult like that Victor dude?" No – nothing like that – although it does involve another woman. You may think it's strange I would be talking about it now – and on a public forum –but the weird thing is - - Tonto first introduced me to her a few years ago – and knows what's going on now. I find that interesting – my wife has introduced me to several of my obsessions.

I do feel somewhat shameful over this one though; it's kind of pathetic if you look at both sides of the picture. I mean – here's this young…exciting…vibrant…thing and here I am this old fart (turned 60 last year); I don't wish to offend anyone with any titillating details and really there's not much to reveal on my part. I'm to the point now where it doesn't matter if it's a big production or not – I really just like to watch rather than participate.

Oh God – there is something so sick about this though…uhm I should mention…the other woman is psychotic…I mean bona-fide-medication-prescribed psychotic.

It was only a few years ago when Tonto brought home the complete series of My So Called Life on DVD. Claire Danes is so cute on that show. Then Tonto turned me on to Freaks and Geeks the complete series on DVD. Another great show – Claire wasn't on that show – but Linda Cardellini and Busy Philipps are pretty. Then there was Boston Legal with Captain Kirk chasing Candice Bergen! After that – Big Love…I love Jeanne Tripplehorn and I swear Chloe Sevigny was in the Corps! Then there was the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica - the complete series on Blu-ray (now I'm coming into my own and leave Tonto behind on this one). I'm probably forgetting some other obsessions – but I think that covers most of the big ones; which brings me up to my latest infatuation – Homeland! Hey it's Claire Danes again ! – but she ditched the red hair and cuteness for a more neurotic slut persona (but she is on medication).

Well…shoot…I feel better already. Now sorry I have to go watch an episode of Homeland. Never watched it before – but discovered it tonight – we have U-verse On Demand - and I've already watched episode 1 and 2 of the first season. So just a heads up – if you don't see me around much – I'm probably binge-watching.

(edited for typos and big production value)

Edited by T-Bone

• 3 months later...

without anything to obsess about,

there is a strange feeling like nervousness or like butterflies in the stomach

a seriously nothing to do and accomplish type thing I guess

same feeling after quitting the way or drinking or buying and selling on ebay

some kind of drive to do something, to accomplish something

not just bumping this thread

but trying to complete the thing, finish the thought

probably a never ending thing, being careful

and attempting to direct obsessed to more worthy