GreaseSpot Cafe

If Words Matter......

skyrider

.....then I have a few questions. :)

1) Are twi-innies STILL called "Followers of The Way?"

Back in the '70s and early-'80s, I remember hearing this a lot. At one time, it was the public relation definition in their promotions....ie "A follower of The Way is filled with, and manifests, power from on high and freely avails himself (blah, blah, blah)...." Of course, the double-reference meaning.....a follower of the way incorporated [FIRST] and, oh yeah, a follower of The Way, the Lord Jesus.

But then.....if sort of evolved into this GROUP IDENTITY THING, where in unison they all were "the true household" and needed to cross over the bridge together. The individual component dropped.....and the groupthink wording took its place.

2) If the corps program is a LEADERSHIP program, then why did twi drop the terminology of Trunk leaders Region leaders, Branch leaders and Twig leaders?

So...let me get this straight: corps get trained as LEADERS, but then after graduation and all...they revert back to coordinators or something? By definition, isn't coordinator someone in a structural position to "arrange and adjust things in harmony" as ordered? Doesn't a wedding coordinator simply follow thru with the instructions given by the wedding couple, those who are paying for the services?

So, really.......the corps program is a COORDINATOR PROGRAM whereby if twi were honest, the trainee [once graduating from program] is submitting to a lifetime of taking orders from hierarchy.

3) If Words Matter......and they do......then twi is telling you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THEIR SELF-SERVING MISSION.

The Way Ministry, The Way Household, The Way Corps, The Way Magazine, Way Disciples, .....etc. etc. Even the sanctity of "The Way Tree" teachings/class/logo was allowed to die on the vine because twi could no longer justify its biblical essence. It was given the "we don't talk about that anymore."

Also.....No inspiring pictures of Jesus Christ, no pictures of crucifixion or resurrection, or apostles, or the Lord's supper, or the Sea of Galilee, etc. Twi is void of inspiration artwork. Thereby, the nebulous and evolving nature of "words" are like sand shifting under one's feet.

Even the "Corps Chalet" has devolved into a generic, non-descript cabin in the woods.

Today's twi has become about as non-descript in their abundant living brochures

as their single-wide, dilapidated trailer units hidden at the back of the property.

Yes – good point; re-labeling so that public perception is changed.

"Abundant sharing" is another one. Let's be honest. How much of the material abundance PFAL promised, did the average TWI follower "manifest"? At least acknowledge the significance of people's generosity and give folks some recognition for their giving beyond their means.

In II Corinthians 8: 2 - 4, Paul acknowledged the sacrifices folks made: (verse 2.) that in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality. (verse 3.) For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, (verse 4.)begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints,…

.....then I have a few questions. smile.gif

1) Are twi-innies STILL called "Followers of The Way?"

Back in the '70s and early-'80s, I remember hearing this a lot. At one time, it was the public relation definition in their promotions....ie "A follower of The Way is filled with, and manifests, power from on high and freely avails himself (blah, blah, blah)...." Of course, the double-reference meaning.....a follower of the way incorporated [FIRST] and, oh yeah, a follower of The Way, the Lord Jesus.

But then.....if sort of evolved into this GROUP IDENTITY THING, where in unison they all were "the true household" and needed to cross over the bridge together. The individual component dropped.....and the groupthink wording took its place.

2) If the corps program is a LEADERSHIP program, then why did twi drop the terminology of Trunk leaders Region leaders, Branch leaders and Twig leaders?

So...let me get this straight: corps get trained as LEADERS, but then after graduation and all...they revert back to coordinators or something? By definition, isn't coordinator someone in a structural position to "arrange and adjust things in harmony" as ordered? Doesn't a wedding coordinator simply follow thru with the instructions given by the wedding couple, those who are paying for the services?

So, really.......the corps program is a COORDINATOR PROGRAM whereby if twi were honest, the trainee [once graduating from program] is submitting to a lifetime of taking orders from hierarchy.

3) If Words Matter......and they do......then twi is telling you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THEIR SELF-SERVING MISSION.

The Way Ministry, The Way Household, The Way Corps, The Way Magazine, Way Disciples, .....etc. etc. Even the sanctity of "The Way Tree" teachings/class/logo was allowed to die on the vine because twi could no longer justify its biblical essence. It was given the "we don't talk about that anymore."

Also.....No inspiring pictures of Jesus Christ, no pictures of crucifixion or resurrection, or apostles, or the Lord's supper, or the Sea of Galilee, etc. Twi is void of inspiration artwork. Thereby, the nebulous and evolving nature of "words" are like sand shifting under one's feet.

Even the "Corps Chalet" has devolved into a generic, non-descript cabin in the woods.

Today's twi has become about as non-descript in their abundant living brochures

as their single-wide, dilapidated trailer units hidden at the back of the property.

By golly, it looks like you broke the code. You've figured out the real meaning of the vocabulary and how it's used. Congratulations.

By golly, it looks like you broke the code. You've figured out the real meaning of the vocabulary and how it's used. Congratulations.

Yeah......quite simple really, wasn't it?

Wierwille was little more than Message Man. He stalked other reverends' sermons, conferences,

and retreats......and then, added a word or changed a phrase to arrive at "the real meaning"

of things.

Of course, thru the years.....some things became so patently absurd [like The Way Tree terminology]

that even twi had to ditch it for better messaging. And besides......how many in Corporate USA used

similar references to their marketing ie Branch Offices? Wierwille just wasn't all that original.

BUT.....imo, the biggest failures of messaging/marketing/maneuvering are found in the corps program.

EVERYTHING....from beginning [sign-ups] to end [graduation] are blatant lies. The program is NOT

about training up LEADERS. Nor is the corps program about serving God. Anywho....it looks like

most everyone who's paying attention has gotten the memo: The corps program is twi-servitude

for life. If you ever want to leave, then they slander you.

In the end......WHEN WORDS REALLY DO MATTER, one realizes that wierwille and company was

a contrived canyon of control. Once herded in, the hustlers had the advantage.

You're right, words DO matter...One of the characteristics of a cult is to develop their own terminology. This reinforces the us versus them mentality and also it conditions the mind with trigger words. Even down to the names of holidays...if you called it Christmas you were either not one of us or were new and not fully indoctrinated yet. The invention of their own terminology worked in concert with their isolating people from society during corps training not allowing certain books to be read or instruments to be played...and of course the ultimate goal was never "word over the world"...it was "Obey us, give us your labor for free and then give us your money"...manipulating language was essential to pull this off.

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

• 3 years later...

Perhaps this is "old news" to you, but because I hadn't frequented GS in some time --- I had missed this topic from 2014. If it's not too late, I'll chime in:

I remember "the split" which (to my knowledge) truly began sprouting up shortly after VP had died. By the latter 80's to early 90's (which LCM had termed the fog years) this rift in the ministry finally became quite evident to most everyone.

Yet, (despite the variances here and there, which were contentions about one subject or the other...like adultery, etc) all in all, the different camps (offshoots) were still so similar (because of the 90% or so they yet had in common) that some distinction had to be made in order to recognize just which one still taught the absolute truth!

Therefore, those of us who remained after "the deluge" were (affectionately) given the (high and lofty) title: "the faithful remnant". That sure made us proud not to have left along with those nasty rags --- which had once been part of a most beautiful robe...or something to that effect! :dance:

Speaking of terminology though, I've something I consider quite unique to share which might interest you:

Early on (in May '75) I was proud of The Way naming itself as such --- because they actually called it The Way Biblical Research and Teaching Ministry. Being rather analytically minded, one day I saw Jn 14:6 in a light I hadn't noticed before:

Jn 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life..." And I thought to myself: :rolleyes:

"So, Jesus Christ is:

(1) the way, (= The Way)

(2) the truth, (= Biblical Research, which discovers the truth)

(3) and the life..." (= and Teaching these things promotes the life within the Ministry)

Now, I wasn't exactly sure if TWI actually saw it this way, but that didn't seem to matter to me: Because (after all) I considered they were just being honest as to who they are and what they were doing. And I simply marveled: :eusa_clap:

"WOW!!! This really is the one and only true ministry of Jesus Christ, because (even by it's sheer name) it's just so plain to see! It's truly 'the way, the truth, and the life ministry' --- exactly like Jesus said!" Boy, was I hooked --- like a catfish on a lure!

Later on though, (still being analytical) I noticed a rather subtle change to this perfection in what the ministry called itself. For by then (in order to make the proper distinction I mentioned above, once there were many similar ministries around) they had added something to the original; for it was now called: The Way Biblical Research Teaching and Fellowship Ministry. :nono5:

Spiritually, this didn't sit very well with me --- because it seemed akin to adding to the Word, which is wrong --- just like what Eve had done in Eden! (And Jesus Christ certainly didn't say: "I am the way the truth, the life and the fellowship...") So why the addition? Simply, it was just another convention they used --- in order to isolate and control people! Because now:

It no longer mattered so much what was actually taught, because all of the various offshoots had their different flavors of truth, so to speak. What was so important though is what LCM sternly warned and threatened people with: "Just who do you stand with?" :realmad:

So, who you fellowshiped with made all the difference. And LCM's laws just "got tougher and tougher", until I had finally had my fill. If only I had been a bit keener in my spiritual perception (based upon the unwarranted addition to the ministry's name) I might have saved myself from a few more years of grief and frustration!

And the moral? Hindsight is 20-20! :rolleyes:

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, spectrum49 said:

Perhaps this is "old news" to you, but because I hadn't frequented GS in some time --- I had missed this topic from 2014. If it's not too late, I'll chime in:

I remember "the split" which (to my knowledge) truly began sprouting up shortly after VP had died. By the latter 80's to early 90's (which LCM had termed the fog years) this rift in the ministry finally became quite evident to most everyone.

Yet, (despite the variances here and there, which were contentions about one subject or the other...like adultery, etc) all in all, the different camps (offshoots) were still so similar (because of the 90% or so they yet had in common) that some distinction had to be made in order to recognize just which one still taught the absolute truth!

Therefore, those of us who remained after "the deluge" were (affectionately) given the (high and lofty) title: "the faithful remnant". That sure made us proud not to have left along with those nasty rags --- which had once been part of a most beautiful robe...or something to that effect! :dance:

Speaking of terminology though, I've something I consider quite unique to share which might interest you:

Early on (in May '75) I was proud of The Way naming itself as such --- because they actually called it The Way Biblical Research and Teaching Ministry. Being rather analytically minded, one day I saw Jn 14:6 in a light I hadn't noticed before:

Jn 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life..." And I thought to myself: :rolleyes:

"So, Jesus Christ is:

(1) the way, (= The Way)

(2) the truth, (= Biblical Research, which discovers the truth)

(3) and the life..." (= and Teaching these things promotes the life within the Ministry)

Now, I wasn't exactly sure if TWI actually saw it this way, but that didn't seem to matter to me: Because (after all) I considered they were just being honest as to who they are and what they were doing. And I simply marveled: :eusa_clap:

"WOW!!! This really is the one and only true ministry of Jesus Christ, because (even by it's sheer name) it's just so plain to see! It's truly 'the way, the truth, and the life ministry' --- exactly like Jesus said!" Boy, was I hooked --- like a catfish on a lure!

Later on though, (still being analytical) I noticed a rather subtle change to this perfection in what the ministry called itself. For by then (in order to make the proper distinction I mentioned above, once there were many similar ministries around) they had added something to the original; for it was now called: Way Biblical Research Teaching and Fellowship Ministry. :nono5:

Spiritually, this didn't sit very well with me --- because this seemed akin to adding to the Word, which is wrong --- just like what Eve had done in Eden! (And Jesus Christ certainly didn't say "I am the way the truth, the life and the fellowship.") So why the addition? Simply, it was just another convention they used --- in order to isolate and control people! Because now:

It no longer mattered so much what was actually taught, because all of the various offshoots had their different flavors of truth, so to speak. What was so important though is what LCM sternly warned and threatened people with!: "Just who do you stand with?" :realmad:

So, who you fellowshiped with made all the difference. And the "laws got tougher and tougher", until I had finally had my fill. If I had been a bit keener in my spiritual perception, (based upon the unwarranted addition to the ministry's name) I might have saved myself from a few more years of grief and frustration!

And the moral? Hindsight is 20-20! :rolleyes:

49, you nailed it!  If I had been smarter, I would have left TWI sooner than I did.  But, I was comfortable, and didn't want to change my thinking habits.  Finally though, the Navy sent me to Italy, and I was forced to change my thought patterns.  No more TWI for me!  I will always be thankful to Uncle Sam, for getting me out of TWI.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

49, you nailed it!  If I had been smarter, I would have left TWI sooner than I did.  But, I was comfortable, and didn't want to change my thinking habits.  Finally though, the Navy sent me to Italy, and I was forced to change my thought patterns.  No more TWI for me!  I will always be thankful to Uncle Sam, for getting me out of TWI.

Unfortunately, my plight wasn't as easy to become rid of. I kept giving them the benefit, of the benefit, of the benefit, of the benefit of the doubt, that they just didn't see the "wonderful new light" I had found yet --- the book I wrote about Gen 1. At one time, I was actually commanded in the name of Jesus Christ to literally burn all of my 7 years of private research on the subject --- which of course, I very sadly obeyed. (Boo-hoo!)

But (with God's help) I was somehow able to put it all back together! That was in '95. And I kept hoping that the next Limb Coordinator might see the logical way I presented the material...and the next...and the next (many times waiting 3-5 years for a "different opinion" upon the arrival of the new clergy).

Long story short: I finally left in utter frustration after another 14 years or so, in 2009. (And I published my book shortly thereafter.) :rolleyes:

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spectrum49 said:

Unfortunately, my plight wasn't as easy to become rid of. I kept giving them the benefit, of the benefit, of the benefit, of the benefit of the doubt, that they just didn't see the "wonderful new light" I had found yet --- the book I wrote about Gen 1. At one (very sad) time, I was actually commanded in the name of Jesus Christ to literally burn all of my 7 years of private research on the subject.

But (with God's help) I was somehow able to put it all back together! That was in '95. And I kept hoping that the next Limb Coordinator might see the logical way I presented the material...and the next...and the next (many times waiting 3-5 years for a "different opinion" upon the arrival of the new clergy).

Long story short: I finally left in utter frustration after another 14 years or so, in 2009. (And I published my book shortly thereafter.) :rolleyes:

49, I probably would have told them to kiss my azz, and left.  But the important thing is, we both left!!  Also, what is the name of your book?  I know you mentioned it before, but I forgot the name of it.  

Just now, Grace Valerie Claire said:

49, I probably would have told them to kiss my azz, and left.  But the important thing is, we both left!!  Also, what is the name of your book?  I know you mentioned it before, but I forgot the name of it.  

Genesis 1: God's Table of Contents to the Bible  (And it's available for download here at GS, if you like.)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Hi Grace,

Since words matter, I just want to say that it wasn't a matter of how smart you were or are. Looking back, a lot of smart people didn't leave as soon as they think they should have. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Part of our mind always works for the sake of efficiency so we don't have to think about absolutely everthing all the time, because we can't.  If a word like "leader" is said our mind recalls what a leader is and puts the referred-to person under the understanding of a "leader" immediately.  Our mind will then interpret the person's actions with the extra importance we'd naturally give a leader.

A person could focus their on this and note that something doesn't seem right and begin to question the validity of the term given.

However if many terms are thrown at you at once it may seem like a lot of work, because it is.  There may a social cost to stop after every word and admit to everyone "I don't know WTF is going on, please explain."  So often we all just role with it.  And when we do that we may be less likely to question it later.