GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Actor/Actress (or Role)

Raf

FYI: this is not a household name, but he is famous enough to warrant inclusion in this thread. That said, with the exception of Rosencrantz, I would be satisfied with a description of the actor and the name of the movie or show.

Jude Ellis

Clark Edwards

Al Giordino

Hank Rafferty

He played Rosencrantz in a version of Hamlet set in modern day NYC. Ethan Hawke was Hamlet. Bill Murray was Polonius. 

He's a character actor. You definitely know him when you see him, but you may not know his name.

All a bunch of Brits.   Mark Gatiss works/ worked on Doctor Who and on Sherlock.     Christopher Lee's done everything.    the name "Rhys Ifans" rings a bell, faintly.  

Ok, the "most helpful actors" didn't include Jude Law and Martin Freeman,  so I'm thinking this isn't John Watson.  Likewise, I'd recognize the Sherlocks- Mrs Wolf is a bigger fan of SH than I am, so I at least can recognize a number of names of the Sherlocks.      If Rhys Ifans worked/works on "Elementary" (which we stopped watching), that would explain why I've heard of him before. 

Stephen Fry definitely played MYCROFT HOLMES  in "Sherlock Holmes- Game of Shadows."    

So,  I'm thinking this is Mycroft Holmes, the brother to Sherlock Holmes,  who works for the British Government, and is as smart as Holmes but a lot less excitable.  This makes him valuable in government offices and in getting the work done, but both he and Sherlock freely admit he lacks the drive to chase down clues that Sherlock has (both a blessing and a curse, IMHO).  

(It's interesting, to me, to note that SH main characters don't seem to have kids.  Sherlock and Mycroft seem confirmed bachelors and disinterested.  John Watson doesn't seem to have had any despite at least 2 marriages- is that due to a wound he took in Afghanistan?     Irene Adler, for all her marriages and whatnot, likewise seemed childless.  One has to go far afield to find any canonical possibilities of a relative of SH making it to the present day.   OTOH, Moriarity also seemed to have no kids.)

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Mycroft Holmes is correct.  Hugh Laurie played him in the reviled "Holmes and Watson."  Rhys Ifans was, indeed, on "Elementary."

My God, Wolf!  How do you do it?  :biglaugh:

George

I learned how in Primary school, George.   ;)

(Let's see who gets it.)