GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

I'll have to look for it.

BTW, we saw the trailer for the preview. Neat.

If you're bored, you can look up the superhero "fight club" short on YT.

In the comics, they've rebooted once a decade with

Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour-Crisis in Time, and Infinite Crisis

(which was so bad it was painful), and then added Flashpoint like

2 years after Infinite Crisis. I avoided it and I'm glad I did.

But this video might be watchable.

In the comics, they've rebooted once a decade with

Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour-Crisis in Time, and Infinite Crisis

(which was so bad it was painful), and then added Flashpoint like

2 years after Infinite Crisis.

And now, they're running "Convergence" (which is sort of a super-hero fight club), soon to be followed by "Divergence," re-booting some hero(ine)s and adding some new titles. Fortunately, the "Convergence" issues each contains a trailer of a "Divergent" comic, so I know which ones to avoid like the plague. Some new "it's a new direction, so it must be good" idiocy includes Jim Gordon in an armored suit as the new Batman* and Superman's identity as Clark Kent being outed (by Lois Lane, no less). I realize that nothing lasts forever in comicland (Superman's death, Batman's broken back, just about everybody else's death); but these are ideas which I hope get reversed quickly.

*In Detective 40 (new series), Batman and Joker apparently died in a cave-in.

George

CW is going to do something fairly revolutionary, these days, but commonplace when we were kids: re-run all the Flash episodes over the summer.

George

Warner will do the same thing here.

In fact, they did marathons of the new shows on the weekends periodically

so people who missed a few episodes could catch up.

And now, they're running "Convergence" (which is sort of a super-hero fight club), soon to be followed by "Divergence," re-booting some hero(ine)s and adding some new titles. Fortunately, the "Convergence" issues each contains a trailer of a "Divergent" comic, so I know which ones to avoid like the plague. Some new "it's a new direction, so it must be good" idiocy includes Jim Gordon in an armored suit as the new Batman* and Superman's identity as Clark Kent being outed (by Lois Lane, no less). I realize that nothing lasts forever in comicland (Superman's death, Batman's broken back, just about everybody else's death); but these are ideas which I hope get reversed quickly.

*In Detective 40 (new series), Batman and Joker apparently died in a cave-in.

George

Jim Gordon as Batman is obviously because of the "Gotham" show making

him an action hero to some people.

This isn't new- remember the Shazam! television series?

When Billy and Mentor on that show drove around the country,

it wasn't long before Billy and Uncle Dudley got a winnebago and the

same "contact the gods" collander and drove around the county.

• 4 months later...

We just saw it.

He gets a vibe, huh?

Everybody else expecting Ronnie to be alive on one of the other Earths?

Of which there are 52 we can find?

Mrs Wolf speculated that crossing from Earth to Earth

cuts a Speed Force connection- as if there's a different Speed Force

per Earth, and your connection only works on YOUR Earth because you

have signal, like a wifi connection. Certainly explains that's why

Zoom doesn't just run over.

Me, I also appreciate the work it took to slip the homage in place,

complete with "Coming!" "Coming!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although we have a Flash thread, I thought I'd start one to cover comments on all of the super-hero shows, since there are so many of them, now.

I would include: Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Supergirl, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. If the Daredevil Netflix show is still running, that would be fine, too. (I haven't seen it.) If I'm forgetting any, feel free to add. I would not include super-hero-ish shows like Limitless. I'm also thinking of this thread for commentary on current shows, so none of the various Superman shows, etc., would be included.

There are only a handful of us in this forum, so feel free to "change the rules," if you think it will draw more interest.

George

Supergirl:

the costume. Except for the lack of yellow in the "S," very traditional

Cat Grant. An interesting take on this character, who has had a number of manifestations in the comics

Dislikes: "National City." Where did THAT come from? I can see why you don't want to use Metropolis (you'd have to see SuperCuz all the time); but this one sounds TOO made up (falling just ahead of "The City" from the Tick). In the comics, Supergirl did a stint in Chicago; that could have worked.

JAMES Olsen. I've got no problem with a black Jimmy Olsen, but I prefer my Jimmys small, wide-eyed, and "Jeepers"-ish. Bow-ties a must. :)

Astra: The comics never had a twin sister for Alura, so why introduce one as a villain? Of course, now you only need one actress to play Kara's mom AND aunt...

KARA Danvers. What's wrong with "Linda"? They didn't revamp Superman as KAL Kent. And a brunette wig would help sell the secret identity.

the world having TWO heroes now. This IS a DC product. Even if you don't plan to include Flash, Green Arrow, etc., there's no reason not to allude to them.

I'm still undecided about the step-sister and the variations on the DEO, Hellgrammite, etc. In general, I do enjoy the show. The pacing is good, with a reasonable mix of action and relationship stuff.

George

Other

Regarding The World having TWO heroes now, I would argue that this does not necessarily exclude Flash and Arrow, each of whom is very much identified all but exclusively with his city. They are not The World's heroes. Superman is, and Supergirl, by using that expression, clearly intends to be.

Just a thought.

I'm going to see if I can merge the two threads.

Regarding The World having TWO heroes now, I would argue that this does not necessarily exclude Flash and Arrow, each of whom is very much identified all but exclusively with his city. They are not The World's heroes. Superman is, and Supergirl, by using that expression, clearly intends to be.

Just a thought.

I'm going to see if I can merge the two threads.

For that matter, not any other, either.

This show, like Gotham, is outside the continuity of Arrow/Flash,

but that doesn't mean either can't appear- Smallville was outside this

continuity, as well.

I remember reading some comment (years ago, in a comic) about losing a hero

the world would miss. Someone suggested "Starman", and the reply was that

only Opal City would miss him.

Likewise, Starling/Star has the Arrow, and Central has the Flash.

(And nobody's discussing Coast City.)

Did anyone catch the reference to Commissioner Gordon on "the Flash"?

Joe wanted to check on someone in Blackgate Prison (the Slab), so

he called his old friend "Jimmy" to ask. :)

Hey, George.

Remember to indicate SPOILERS.

I haven't seen the entire first episode, or any of the 2nd, yet.

It's not like I'm giving spoilers from the latest Flash episode or anything....

(Wow, who expected Ronnie's return to look like that? I didn't.)

Sorry. I forgot that you might be seeing Supergirl late, as well, though if you've seen part of the first episode, you would have seen almost everything I mentioned.

George