GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

On 11/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I guess my TV screen isn't bright enough.  :redface:

I think that the unrecognizable guy is Osric Chau, who has frequently appeared on Supernatural.  According to IMDb, he's in episode 3 of CoIE (the Flash episode); but as far as I can tell, he has not appeared in any Arrowverse episodes, before.

George

BTW, I have no idea WHY, but they seem to keep putting her in lowered light situations.    Maybe it's some sort of intentional metaphor or something.

In other news, I was wondering if the latest Flash episode showed a multiversal map, and if the satellite was their version of "Brother Eye" of OMAC fame,

22 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Heh.  Can you say "Sara Lance"?

George

They seem to 1/2 follow this rule.  They often seem to forget she can be interested in guys (it WAS remembered in dialogue in CoEX), and have written her as a woman who seems to go after women after the drop of a hat.   Other than that line, though, they seem to fall into the other trap of "no such thing as bisexuals", which, admittedly, isn't just a TV or movie problem.  If, really bored, you sign up for a dating site, and list yourself as straight, you'll be shown profiles of the opposite sex.  If you list yourself as gay, you'll be shown profiles of the same sex.  If you list yourself as bisexual, you'll be shown profiles of the same sex exclusively.     However, the fact that they DID include the line should count for something, even if it was inconsistent with the rest of the scripts.     Anyone find it interesting that, in the comics, Mr Terrific dated Black Canary when she and GA were on a break?    And that the TV Chunk is straight?  

On 11/22/2019 at 9:33 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Not to make this thread about racial characteristics, but it's clear she wasn't from Africa any time recently.  One of my favorite waitresses has fairly light skin and blue-grey eyes, but she would identify herself as black.  I didn't know Megan Markle was biracial until it came up on an episode of Suits.  I would have guessed HER to be white.

Anyway, white, black, or somewhere in between, I agree that Audrey Anderson is SMOKING HOT.

George

All in humor, my friend.

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

They seem to 1/2 follow this rule.  They often seem to forget she can be interested in guys (it WAS remembered in dialogue in CoEX), and have written her as a woman who seems to go after women after the drop of a hat.   Other than that line, though, they seem to fall into the other trap of "no such thing as bisexuals", which, admittedly, isn't just a TV or movie problem.  If, really bored, you sign up for a dating site, and list yourself as straight, you'll be shown profiles of the opposite sex.  If you list yourself as gay, you'll be shown profiles of the same sex.  If you list yourself as bisexual, you'll be shown profiles of the same sex exclusively.     However, the fact that they DID include the line should count for something, even if it was inconsistent with the rest of the scripts.     Anyone find it interesting that, in the comics, Mr Terrific dated Black Canary when she and GA were on a break?    And that the TV Chunk is straight?  

Well, Sara was seeing Oliver at the beginning of Arrow.  Her homosexual side wasn't explored until (much?) later.  And we know she had a dalliance with Constantine more recently.

I know that the comic version of Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt ) is straight.  I don't remember Chunk being gay (though I do remember him being a lot more corpuscular).  Either my memory is going, or I have too many comic books.  Probably both. :biglaugh:

George 

*checks*  I was wrong about Chunk.  He was definitely more corpulent, but then so was Amanda Waller.   I'm one of those people who resented the thinning of Waller in the comics just in time to show her as thin in media.       Chunk's depictions that I saw kept drawing him adjacent to some guy.  I thought the artist was trying to say something.  Looking back, I'm pretty sure the artist was trying to shoehorn in a pretext so they could change the character.     Yes, Mr Terrific in the comics is MICHAEL Holt, and in the Arrowverse is CURTIS Holt, and they're different people who seem to share the same background and skills.      (I'm going back to when Mark Waid was writing the Flash the first time, and it was Wally, and Wally got married.  Haven't seen Chunk since then.)

Sara and Constantine's dating habits have been addressed more this past season in LoT.   BOTH have actually been painted more in the "and they jump at whatever moves" sense, but at least it's been in a "and they might date whoever" sense,  so, bad writing on one hand, good writing on the other.    

On 11/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, WordWolf said:

BTW, I have no idea WHY, but they seem to keep putting her in lowered light situations.    Maybe it's some sort of intentional metaphor or something.

In other news, I was wondering if the latest Flash episode showed a multiversal map, and if the satellite was their version of "Brother Eye" of OMAC fame,

Still wondering about a possible map and about "Brother Eye". 

Both Batwoman and Supergirl ended with the same teaser:  Nash Wells confronting the Monitor and being transformed (presumably into Pariah).

I wonder if, as in the comic series, all of the CW-verses will be merged, so Supergirl, Batwoman, and Black Lightning will be on the same Earth as Flash and Arrow.  Incidentally, that would also include the Superman/Lois Lane show now in production.

George

I can't comment on the teaser, I'm currently behind 1 episode all around (and I don't want to get ahead of the Mrs on Arrow or Flash, but she doesn't watch Supergirl or Batwoman.) 

I didn't speculate on that, but Mrs Wolf thought they might be planning to merge the TV earths into 1 Earth.     In fairness,  many shows are connected-  Constantine, Arrow, Flash, Legends,  and Batwoman are all on one Earth.   Black Lightning, Supergirl,  and Powerless are not, and Powerless ended.   Black Lightning can be merged with little trouble-  the main gap is the difference between street-level  (Arrow, Batwoman, Black Lightning)   and flying capes (Supergirl), with "Flash" somewhere in between but open to interpretation, same as LoT.

Enjoyed episode 1 (Supergirl) of CoIE.  Cute cameos with Robert Wuhl and Burt Ward.  Episode 2 (Batwoman) tonight.  New Black Lightning tonight, but it's not part of CoIE.  I guess that that will be in January.

There was also a "Crisis Aftermath" special, after the SG episode.  I've recorded it but haven't seen it.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

WW can tell us when to talk about the first three HOLY dagnabit episodes.

The second airs this evening, 8 p.m., 12/9/2019 EST

The third airs 12/10, same time.

So as far as i am concerned, anything after 12/17 should PROBABLY be fair game.

That said, "Holy Crimson Skies of Death!!!!"

Ooo, we've got the "red skies crossovers" and so on?  I was waiting for those.

I'm waiting on Mrs Wolf to watch Flash and Arrow.  We're about 2 episodes behind right now, but will catch up soon I imagine.   I can catch Supergirl and Batwoman this week and catch up there.     I'll let you know what we're up to.   (Next Arrow episode- "Purgatory",  next Flash episode: Part 1 of "Last Temptation of Barry Allen." )     As soon as this all is over, I should binge-watch Marvel movies and catch up.  (I haven't seen "Endgame" yet- I'm good through "Infinity War", at least 1 viewing, for the Avengers plotline.)

No spoiler here, but some points from Episode 2 I enjoyed:

Seeing Tom Welling again.  His Smallville really launched the Arrowverse.

Actually seeing Kevin Conroy.  He's been the cartoon voice for Batman for over a decade, but I've never SEEN him before.

Most of the "Easter Eggs" were quotes from old (and not so old) Superman and Batman movies.

FYI.  Black Lightning, while not technically a crossover episode, was what we would have called a "Crisis Tie-In."  You may want to include it in your CoIE viewing.

George

If I'm reading correctly, the next episodes of Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow are in the same week or on the same day.  I'm hoping LoT's episode addresses CoIE in some way.   Tomorrow is the last day of school before "Summer Break", so I'm hoping to have a more flexible schedule in about 24 hours.  :) 

In the USA, the next two episodes of Crisis air on Jan.14. 

8 p.m. is an episode of Arrow.

9 p.m. is an episode of Legends.

Expect the main story to resolve on Arrow. Legends will be more of an epilogue, a NOW WTF kind of show

I was going to say "if Lucifer really is in the DCTV continuity, it's odd that Constantine and Madame Xanadu didn't have to deal with him first," but for all I know, they DID since I haven't seen the episodes yet.     BTW, that there IS an "Anti-Monitor" is indeed a spoiler, since this isn't going to follow the comic closely because it can't follow the comic closely-  same deal as with "Invasion!"

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

BTW, that there IS an "Anti-Monitor" is indeed a spoiler

Sorry, though I would have almost considered it a given.

I do recommend watching the "Crisis Aftermath" shows.  They don't give any future things away (other than the non-Crisis-related Stargirl series to debut this spring), but they do have some nice takes on things already revealed.

George

That the actor who plays the Monitor is also playing the Anti-Monitor has been widely reported.

First three parts were VERY good.

I would have considered the Lucifer appearance a spoiler, since they actually DID try to keep that a secret (the actor even denied it on social media when someone reported that he was on set.

But, WW, if it hasn't started yet, you are in for a real treat, flaws and all.