GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Enjoyed episode 1 (Supergirl) of CoIE.  Cute cameos with Robert Wuhl and Burt Ward.  Episode 2 (Batwoman) tonight.  New Black Lightning tonight, but it's not part of CoIE.  I guess that that will be in January.

There was also a "Crisis Aftermath" special, after the SG episode.  I've recorded it but haven't seen it.

George

Ok, saw all 3 parts, plus the end of Black Lightning.      We haven't done a full, proper post-mortem on it. 

Yes, I LOVED the Burt Ward (with Ace, the Bat-Hound????)  cameo, and the Robert Wuhl was just perfect- if anything, I liked it BETTER. 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, Raf said:

WW can tell us when to talk about the first three HOLY dagnabit episodes.

The second airs this evening, 8 p.m., 12/9/2019 EST

The third airs 12/10, same time.

So as far as i am concerned, anything after 12/17 should PROBABLY be fair game.

That said, "Holy Crimson Skies of Death!!!!"

Earth-66.   *snicker*  Nice touch.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No spoiler here, but some points from Episode 2 I enjoyed:

Seeing Tom Welling again.  His Smallville really launched the Arrowverse.

Actually seeing Kevin Conroy.  He's been the cartoon voice for Batman for over a decade, but I've never SEEN him before.

Most of the "Easter Eggs" were quotes from old (and not so old) Superman and Batman movies.

FYI.  Black Lightning, while not technically a crossover episode, was what we would have called a "Crisis Tie-In."  You may want to include it in your CoIE viewing.

George

Tom Welling.  We got a bit of "Superman II",  a bit of "Smallville" there.  

Kevin Conroy- yes, nice to see him.  We got some "Kingdom Come" there, and some "Armageddon 2001" with Batman actually wielding K.    With "Bat of the Future", I immediately expected that to be Kingdom Come/ the Kingdom's  "Ibn al Xuffasch",  or Brotherhood of the Bat's "Tallant".  or Damian W, to be the guy.  By the end of the scene, I completely expected Fox to be "Batwing."  

On 12/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, Raf said:

Here's a non-spoiler spoiler: Superman dies.

(George, SHHHHHHH)

It reminded me of Gog in "the Kingdom", who kept traveling through time, and killing Superman a day earlier, progressively, and really tearing up the timestream.    TW had that hatchet, and was in shape.  I expected Lex to get his clock cleaned.    I managed to keep my mouth shut.  Mrs Wolf saw Ray Palmer appear, and concluded that it would be impossible to see BR as Superman.   (Instead, it meant the actor was on board...)     I'm chagrined that they tried so hard to include all media versions of DC, and yet there's no Green Fury nor Olympian from "Powerless." (Not even a throwaway line.)      

From the time we saw Nash at that door, we tried to interpret the 7 symbols.  We concluded they were the 7 Paragons, and tried to match who looked like what.  The extreme right one was so obviously an arrowhead.    She correctly correlated Nash opening the door with freeing the AM.  (The previous destruction of Earth-2 threw me off the trail.)   We made some guesses as to who would be what.  Mrs Wolf actually predicted Barry would be the Paragon of Love with no help from me- but I agreed with her as soon as she said it.  She also placed the AM's lair in the correct location, but wasn't sure which Earth it was on. 

Jonathan's pod was a call-back to both Kal's pod once, and Alexander Luthor's pod in CoIE #1.   I was sure we'd lose Supes and Lois immediately, and was pleased to be proven wrong (But I loved the callback to CoIE 12 and Lois.)

Was anyone else sure that the Paragon of Truth was going to be Jonathan?  We were going into the future, and LL and Clark were both headed there.  I thought that was a blinking neon sign. 

Planning to use an LP was something I didn't see coming.     Doing that with input from Nyssa and especially JC made a LOT of sense.  Mrs Wolf said she'd only trust Malcolm's input on this,  but JC's input was unavoidable.   I just expected bringing in another Ollie, since we had at least 1 spare.  Or using the book.

We both appreciated the "Leonard" appearance.     BL reciting his motto was a special moment.       

Ways for Barry to survive?  We had at least 3 lined up-  they used the least-interesting option, IMHO.  (I suggested a time-double like Thawne used to do, Mrs Wolf suggested barry merge into the Speed Force, then just emerge later.)  I also pointed out that- with 2 more vials of Velocity 10 in Cisco's safe-  it's possible that wasn't even a speedster who was in the red suit at that moment. 

I totally did NOT predict Jim C's appearance, but his role in the comic was vital, of course.  Those people who complained that Hal Jordan became The Spectre in comics are no doubt complaining all over again. 

The cannon in "Flash" was a surprising carryover from the comic series.   

I'm surprised the Psycho-Pirate wasn't invited to this party.

We'll have to wait and see about what happens to close out the story, of course.    I don't think they can truly do justice to the comic, but I'm a LOT more impressed so far than I was at "Invasion!"    Here's hoping they can finish strong.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my biggest question:  Is Mick Rory there for any reason other than baby-sitting?

Obviously, Black Lightning's whole family (and presumably everything else in his storyline) will be set back the way it was.  The other CW shows will go on with some post-crisis changes.  Apparently there is a "Canaries" spinoff in the works (with Mia, Laurel, and Dinah), though I don't know if it's set in the future or the present.

George

On 12/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, Raf said:

In the USA, the next two episodes of Crisis air on Jan.14. 

8 p.m. is an episode of Arrow.

9 p.m. is an episode of Legends.

Expect the main story to resolve on Arrow. Legends will be more of an epilogue, a NOW WTF kind of show

Ok, answered my own question using your previous answer.  :)

Of course he does. Eventually.

Previous heroes go into hiding, as they always wanted (ex, Kingdom Come and Smallville Superman).

Supergirl, Flash and Arrow (and the Canaries) all on the same Earth. Others... not so sure.

I will say this: 

A show element that I HATED more than any other Arrowverse element returned for Crisis, and I hated it, for all the same reasons.

But it did not ruin my opinion of the crossover overall.

Best of the best.

Except for f---ing... that .., gottamit...

Ok, we just saw both parts in one sitting.   I'm still digesting. 

I have to say, though, that I thought having "Marv" show up was a great idea.   I'm also glad we didn't get the current "we live for angst!" Doom Patrol and Titans live shows stuck on the same Earth as the Super- buddies.   I did appreciate appropriate use of background music where it was used, and J'onn saved us a LOT of time having discussions.     Now that we had a chance to see GG and EM side by side, I hope someone tars and feathers whoever decided EM was a good choice.  Frankly, he reminded me of Gary from the Time Bureau-  for all the worst reasons.   

I hope that- sooner or later- DC gets a clue for their films and gives us a JLA that is at least as good as the Arrowverse has.  Seriously- Guggenheim seems to have an idea of what the fans want-  and it doesn't mean to lower the lights and raise the angst level.      Was I the only one humming along with the music at the end?  It was playing in my head before it began playing in the score.