GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

Ok now this all makes sense.

I think Ezra Miller is terrific. But then, I have an autistic son.

Is Barry SUPPOSED to be an "ordinary forensic scientist" in the comics?

(I thought EM was Elongated Man, which made me wonder WTF you were talking about with GG).

Edited by Raf

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Ok now this all makes sense.

I think Ezra Miller is terrific. But then, I have an autistic son.

Is Barry SUPPOSED to be an "ordinary forensic scientist" in the comics?

(I thought EM was Elongated Man, which made me wonder WTF you were talking about with GG).

I kept thinking Elongated Man as well.

Funny, because Raf and I discussed the Ezra/Grant meeting in PM (didn't want to spoil it).

In the comics, Barry has always been a methodical police scientist.  He was always easy-going, usually late to dates with Iris (until he got his powers).  The hyperactive Ezra version is a drastically different take.

Are you guys watching Batwoman?  I don't want to spoil the "back to normal" episode, but I will say one thing:  they really make the show too much about lesbianism and too little about plot development.

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I kept thinking Elongated Man as well.

Funny, because Raf and I discussed the Ezra/Grant meeting in PM (didn't want to spoil it).

In the comics, Barry has always been a methodical police scientist.  He was always easy-going, usually late to dates with Iris (until he got his powers).  The hyperactive Ezra version is a drastically different take.

Are you guys watching Batwoman?  I don't want to spoil the "back to normal" episode, but I will say one thing:  they really make the show too much about lesbianism and too little about plot development.

George

"Barry Allen, you are the slowest man alive!"    He used to be a methodical ballistics expert (like Bulletman).  Now, I think he's CSI like on the show.   After his powers, he was STILL late to dates with Iris!   He was trying to do more, and still falling behind.

To this day, I actually haven't seen ANY of EM's appearances as Flash, other than the CoIE cameo.   I just don't sit to watch movies that often. "Suicide Squad" is on my list.   The SvB  and JLA movies I intend to keep skipping.     I've skipped him in the Potterverse stuff because I've accepted that each fandom, if left running indefinitely, will leave me behind.  Star Wars did it,  Star Trek did it, Harry Potter did it.  So, until now, I had no idea he was in either Potterverse movie.    To me, he just looked completely wrong as Flash.  He didn't remind me of any version of Flash I've known.   He really did feel more to me like Gary from Legends of Tomorrow put on a Flash costume and was cosplaying.  I didn't get the look OR the feel of Flash.  (It's like Keanu as Constantine- doesn't look like him, doesn't act like him....) 

I'm considering watching Supergirl again.  I lost interest when it felt like it was less story and more "let's see how much political stuff we can slip into this".  I can't guarantee they won't drive me away again, much faster this time.   I made it through most of the first Batwoman episode, but I really think they've made it more like a gimmick.   As in "We know you'll watch this show because the title character is a lesbian, so we don't have to bother actually giving you the best story we can manage."   Lacking confidence in RR as an actress doesn't help that, either.  I've seen Christopher Lee in an absolute turkey, and he made it watchable.  There's been story arcs in LoT that had gay elements, but in each case someone actually had a story in play at the time.  I am not the target audience for Batwoman, nor am I the target audience for Supergirl.  Perhaps one or more of the new shows will pull me in (Canaries, Superman and Lois,  Stargirl).   I know Titans and Doom Patrol are not, for other reasons (More darkness and angst, Jeeves!)  

BTW, I think Elongated Man/ Ralph Dibny was cast fantastically, and reminds me of the character despite the changes (annoying party animal).  They gave me enough elements of the original to work with (appearance, detective,  makes his nose twitch at a mystery.)   I was glad that, post-Flashpoint-  this victim of the STAR Labs particle accelerator explosion turned out alive again.   

(SPOILERS!!!!!)

Nice how everybody got what they wanted.  Those who wanted Titans and Doom Patrol, etc to remain apart, will still have that.  (Mrs Wolf pointed out that Green Lantern has to be separate since there's so much space stuff, they would have problems including GL in any crossover.  Yes, all the over-powered superheroes make the street-level heroes a little obsolete, especially during the big events.  So, no GL on this united planet.   We can still have Earths with only Superman, etc and so on, but the Arrowverse has now merged their series into one Earth.  

"Oh, it's like that, huh?"  - my favorite Black Lighting line from the last CoIE episode.

You really should see the Justice League movie (and Batman v. Superman, if you haven't seen that).  The interplay of the characters was quite good, and you get to see EM Flash grow into an heroic role.

Having seen the first post-Crisis Supergirl, now, as well, I'm wondering if ALL of the shows are going to have doppelgangers appearing.  (Partial spoiler.  I didn't say WHOSE doppelgangers!)

George

I'm gonna recommend the DCEU movies on the expectations:quality scale. The Cavill trilogy (MoS, BvS, JL) are ok at their peak. Snyder was just the wrong choice for director, and you can tell in the moments from NO that you just KNOW were directed by Joss Whedon. EM works. You gotta give the kid a chance.

Also, Wonder Woman and Aquaman were both entertaining movies. Not art, but still very good. Definitely better than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and 3.

p.s. I don't think Batwoman is any more about Kate's lesbianism than Flash and Arrow are about their lead character's heterosexuality. It's who the characters are and it's being handled matter-of-factly, imho.

The first post-Crisis Batwoman wasn't about ONLY Kate's homosexuality.  Of course, the episode title is "How Queer Everything Is Today," so I shouldn't have been surprised. A new character was added who ALSO just happens to be a lesbian, so we get a lot of pontificating about how horrible it is to deny your nature, or whatever.  And then Batwoman is revealed as lesbian at the end.  OK, SPOILER!  No reason for it.  I'm reminded of Green Arrow (in the comics) years ago deciding to run for mayor of Star City.  I forget which Justice Leaguer (I think it was Clark) told him, "Don't be ridiculous.  How long will your secret identity last with two, blond, bearded public figures running around Star City?"  How long will Kate's secret identity last with two, red-headed, lesbian public figures running around Gotham?

The sad thing is, I really liked that they brought in Slam Bradley, even though he was a policeman, not a PI.  I also thought that all the mentions of Chris Evans and Captain America were cute.  I'm assuming that the Marvel Universe did NOT merge with the Arrowverse in the Crisis, but that Marvel characters are just that (comic and movie characters) in the Arrowverse.

George

14 hours ago, Raf said:

I'm gonna recommend the DCEU movies on the expectations:quality scale. The Cavill trilogy (MoS, BvS, JL) are ok at their peak. Snyder was just the wrong choice for director, and you can tell in the moments from NO that you just KNOW were directed by Joss Whedon. EM works. You gotta give the kid a chance.

Also, Wonder Woman and Aquaman were both entertaining movies. Not art, but still very good. Definitely better than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and 3.

NO, was, of course, either a typo or an autocorrect. That was supposed to say JL.

7 hours ago, Raf said:

NO, was, of course, either a typo or an autocorrect. That was supposed to say JL.

I was wondering what "NO" stood for.  Thanks for clearing that up.  BTW, I liked Iron Man 2, and didn't think #3 of IM or Thor 2 were bad.  (Not GREAT,  but not bad.) Then again, I WAS the target-audience of both- I'd read "Ragnarok-and-Roll" as well as the Justin Hammer/Demon in a Bottle  IM story, and knew a little about Extremis.

OK, so the various Arrowverse shows have Martian ex machina to give pre-Crisis memories to various characters.

What about Arrow characters in 2040, you ask?  Apparently Cisco develops tech to mimic the Martian ability to reawaken the memories.  REALLY???  (Arrow is transitioning to Birds of Prey.)

George

Having not seen the latest episodes, I ALREADY thought that's where they were going.  A female Arrow and Canaries meant an all-girl team like "Birds of Prey." Supposedly, not many of us remember that show, so few cared if it was or wasn't a new version.      

BTW, Jonn didn't "reawaken" the memories because the old continuity was retroactively erased from the timeline- and thus their lives. So, they lived THIS lifetime entirely.   BTW, John Diggle and Lyla once had a daughter, Sara.  After Flashpoint, she was replaced with a son.    In one future, they had a son who snapped and an adopted son who was a good guy-  Ben Turner's natural son.        Now, Sara seems back.  Is her brother there John Jr like after Flashpoint, or is that Connor Hawke, their adopted son?   The arrowwiki hadn't said.  *checks*  Actually, John Jr now has 2 different pages, one for pre-Crisis, one for after, and this is said to be John Jr.   Ok, that settled that. 

I'd rather they just said that Cisco's device transmitted data rather than supposedly awakening "memories."    Obviously, that's not what they said.  Oh, well.

6 hours ago, Raf said:

And the Birds of Prey show was represented in Crisis. Felt like it needed to be said.

I saw that, having refrained from blinking at the right moment.    I mentioned Huntress (the original comics version) as an example of what MIGHT happen in a merged universe.  Mrs Wolf thought Black Siren/Canary- being the last survivor of her Earth and having passed The Monitor's tests- should have been in on the big stuff at the end, and wondered if she was still around.  I warned her that a merged Earth meant ONE version of everyone-  but that someone might no longer be a counterpart.    The example I used from comics-  Earth-2's Huntress had been Helena Wayne, Bruce and Selena's daughter (just like in the BoP show.)   When the Earths merged, she and Earth-2's adult Robin had no place to be, and so were displaced when they appeared. So, they didn't arrive at home, they just appeared somewhere random.   (They both died in the last push of Anti-Monitor shock troops.)    There WAS a Huntress after that-  Helena Bertinelli, who resembled Helena Wayne quite a bit.     So, if Black Siren appeared, she might have had a different identity or something. 

I'm a little annoyed about the US President's speech.  She noted that Ollie was their FIRST hero.    Supposing they connected all the dots and concluded he wasn't only the GREEN Arrow but was also "the Arrow" (aka "the Hood")  and so on, he would have been active for 7-8 years.

BEFORE that, we should have had Superman active for at least a few years,  and before HIM would have been Batman and Black Lightning, since both either vanished or retired after some time as heroes, and their retirment/vanishing was more than a few years ago.  

I imagine someone saying Batman didn't count as he wasn't a "hero"  (or was an urban legend used by the GCPD to deter crime),   and someone else wouldn't count Black Lightning as either local or ethnic (not saying those are GOOD reasons- Ollie only covered one city also),  but overlooking Superman???  Was this actually addressed in "the Bottle Episode?"

15 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I was just disappointed that Lynda Carter wasn't the president in the new universe.

There are obviously going to be loose ends.  I'm willing to move on.

George

I had guessed that she'd completed her term of office while I wasn't watching the show (I watch less and less, nowadays.)    But, yes, the scripts aren't going to be perfect. I'm not going to gripe over every little thing, and I can let things go as long as they're not persistent problems.

In other news, we saw a glimpse of both the Canaries and the JSA.  For anyone who had trouble identifying them, I can fill in the blanks.  Stargirl was in the middle- supposedly she's getting a new series.  We had Dr Mid-nite to her left (from our perspective, the left of the screen, but to her, on her right.)  The big guy behind her is probably "S.T.R.I.P.E."- Pat Dugan.  Formerly Stripesy, the non-powered companion to the Star-Spangled Kid, he put on armor now to try to keep Stargirl out of trouble.  So, Stars and STRIPE.   Hourman is obvious in the yellow cape,  to the right (from our perspective.)   To the far right is Wildcat.   Ok, so Courtney is wearing the Star-Spangled Kid's Belt and wielding Starman's Cosmic Rod (from when the modern one retired.  (I must say, I'm really glad they had redesigned that thing from when the original Starman wielded it in the comics- it really, really looked like something specific, and it was NOT a weapon- the original Gravity Rod and Cosmic Rod.)  

Doctor Mid-nite probably needs the goggles to see and can see in total darkness, carrying "blackout bombs" to blind others and assist in his own sight (that's been true of a few Dr M's.)   Hourman is almost certainly Rick Tyler, Rex's successor.  Rex's Miraclo pills allow for super-strength to the user, for 1 hour at a time.  In the comics, Rick wears 2 wristbands. One delivers a very specific dosage of Miraclo to prevent overdosing and addiction problems- so he has the 1-hour strength.  The other used to allow him to step outside of time for a TOTAL of 1 hour- but that hour's been used up so in the comics it should do nothing now.  Additionally,  Rick was given a slight connection to the timestream- which allows him to get glimpses of the near future- for up to 1 hour and often exactly 1 hour into the future.   

In the comics, the original Wildcat is boxer Ted Grant.  (In the arrowverse, he taught Laurel to box- in the comics also, IIRC.)   He went into retirment in CoIE when his legs were badly injured while rescuing people.  Yolanda Montez, who admired him and also had some sort of powers,  took up the mantle and called herself the new Wildcat- before CoIE ended.     I'm not sure what happened to her in the comics, but IIRC, she survived.  Her eventual successor was a student of Ted Grant's who put on the costume before he was ready- against Ted's insistence.  He lasted for less than 1 issue since he went up against Killer Croc and was killed (Batman vs Wildcat #1.)    Meanwhile, Ted Grant, despite his age, is the current Wildcat, still a dangerous boxer, and still a JSA member.   When he was killed in a JLA/ JSA crossover,  his secret came out.  He had nine lives.  ("Since when do you have nine lives?" "Since about 1945.  Oh, come on. How old am I?  Did you think I was still this good due to diet and exercise?" )    It's some sort of mystical ability, so he has 9 lives again, and if he loses one every once in a while, since they will regenerate.   (If he gets killed 9 times in quick succession, that will be the end of him permanently, according to how they work.)

Here's hoping that the Canaries and Stargirl series'  aren't all dark, depressing, angsty things like Titans and Doom Patrol.   Some people didn't recognize Swamp Thing in that swamp on Earth-19.   We had the Green Lantern Earth as well as ones for the JSA, Swamp Thing, Titans and Doom Patrol.  It was a nice touch that the Earth-96 Superman "went back" to the yellow in his insignia rather than the black (a la "Kingdom Come").  I hadn't caught that when I caught the nods to the movies. 

I'm curious if the current Lex on "Earth-Prime" is a normal human who's incredibly smart (as I hope)  or if he was able to keep the energy projection powers. I hope not, since there's been no explanation as to how they supposedly work.  Also, and more importantly,  Lex as a supposed hero is motivated by a distrust of supers- aliens, those with superpowers, and so on.  As a human who uses tech,  he contrasts himself with those having innate powers.  If he's claiming to be a good guy- and draws the line between humanity and supers,  then having no powers helps his message but having powers and keeping them secret risks his secret coming out and triggering a backlash.  Then again, that may be what the writers are planning. 

"I had guessed that she'd completed her term of office while I wasn't watching the show (I watch less and less, nowadays.)"

Actually, she was a Durlan and tossed out of office when her secret was outed.  I could only hope that the revisionist history would eliminate that.  <Sigh.>

"I must say, I'm really glad they had redesigned that thing from when the original Starman wielded it in the comics- it really, really looked like something specific, and it was NOT a weapon- the original Gravity Rod and Cosmic Rod."

It was, however, a lot easier to hold. 

"Here's hoping that the Canaries and Stargirl series'  aren't all dark, depressing, angsty things like Titans and Doom Patrol."

That's a hallmark of DCUniverse streaming shows, but not CW.  Expect "Social Justice," instead.

George

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Has anyone watched "Pennyworth"?  I had heard a bit about it, but since it's on EPIX, which I don't get, I haven't seen it.  It appears to be up to episode 7 or thereabouts.

George

I think I saw all of the first episode. They tried for a British secret agent show.   We didn't feel like watching that.