GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

Most of these are 2-3 weeks old.  I realize that WW is behind, but it gets to the point where he or you are several weeks behind on one or more shows before bingeing, so I never know when I can not spoil something.  In this case, I didn't mention anything ABOUT the dopplegangers (including another one on Flash that I just remembered).  Just making a point about the post-Crisis Arrowverse.

Maybe we can set a two-weeks-past-first-US-showing quarantine (for each episode).  After that, they're fair game.

George

Actually, we're about 1 week behind on Flash and LoT (2 on LoT, actually), I'm 1 behind on Arrow's series (saw the stealth pilot),  and don't really mind much spoilers of Supergirl, Batwoman, or Black Lightning.     We saw Flash's "Marathon" and "Meet the Legends" and need to see anything after that.  

I'm going to break my own two-week rule, because this transcends super-hero TV (and doesn't really give away any plot).

So, I'm watching McGyver, and when Mac needs a distraction, his boss runs into a herd of soldiers screaming "This move is LEROY JENKINS!!!)

Today, I'm watching Supergirl, and Brainy draws enemy fire, yelling "LEROY JENKINS!!"

This is obviously more than a coincidence, so I looked up the term.  Leroy Jenkins is apparently a berserker in World of Warcraft.  (I've also seen it spelled LEEROY.)

I guess I don't play enough video games.  :rolleyes:

George

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm going to break my own two-week rule, because this transcends super-hero TV (and doesn't really give away any plot).

So, I'm watching McGyver, and when Mac needs a distraction, his boss runs into a herd of soldiers screaming "This move is LEROY JENKINS!!!)

Today, I'm watching Supergirl, and Brainy draws enemy fire, yelling "LEROY JENKINS!!"

This is obviously more than a coincidence, so I looked up the term.  Leroy Jenkins is apparently a berserker in World of Warcraft.  (I've also seen it spelled LEEROY.)

I guess I don't play enough video games.  :rolleyes:

George

World of Warcraft. Which I've never played.   There was an actual event. Later, they re-enacted it so they could make a video of it, which is rather famous now.   

The team was going to go in somewhere dangerous.  The team leader began laying out a VERY detailed plan to get something and leave without tripping the alarms/ getting hundreds of monsters to spawn and attack.  Everyone listens closely....except for Leeroy Jenkins, who goes AFK to get a bucket of chicken from the fridge.  Leeroy returns just as the leader's finished running through the whole plan.  

Leeroy: "All right, chums, let's do this.  LEEROY JENKINS!!!!" *charges* 

The rest of the party runs in to try to save him, discarding the plan.  The entire party gets wiped out in the ensuing fight.

Abduhl: "Leeroy, you are just stupid as hell."

Spiffy: "Nimrod."

[Another Player]: "Oh my God..."

Leeroy: "... At least I have chicken."

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins_(video)

Complete subject change, but I didn't want to start a new thread, since this is a limited topic for discussion.  Mrs Wolf and I were watching the first "Addams Family"  movie (1991), and we got to discussing the Addamsverse (of the movie.)    We both came up with some interesting ideas that fit what we observed.   I feel they make those movies more rich and add to their setting.  So, here's what we said.

I asked about Tully Alport, Gomez'  attorney (played by Dan Hedaya.)  Gomez is his last paying customer.    Mrs W talked about the gathering of the clan to celebrate "Fester"s return.  She speculated that the entire family is a sort-of clan, with different families under it.  With Gomez (or Fester) in charge, it's the Addams, but it could just as easily be the Amor clan if Flora and/or Fauna was the titular head.   We see lots of people, some of whom have the same last name (Lumpy Addams), and some who do not (Flora Amor, Fauna Amor), and most we don't know either way, but they dress in a variety of styles.   I speculate that the band was not part of the family, but a band that gets hired BY the family, so is recognized by them as willing to show up and play.  (Sort of how gypsies in the US tend to work with specific non-gypsies who will work with them, like Sondra Chely the dressmaker who makes all the big event gypsy dresses in the US, apparently.)    Any way, we have a varied family, and people who are willing to work for them, to some degree.  (I assume Cousin It's car is a custom job....)

As for the rest, there's family closer to the Addams we know, and family further away.  They're all part of the family.   Ok, now to her point.  She thinks that BOTH Tully and his wife are part of the family.  They're distant relatives who can TRY to blend into society and ignore the clan, but they don't for their own reasons.  Tully and Margaret ended up together, and MAY have ended up together because they each found someone who was also part of the clan, but could pass for regular and didn't want to just be an Addams.  So, they tried to just be normal, perhaps.  The thing is, Tully, for reasons of his own, doesn't mesh well with the general population.  He's dishonest and has driven off his other customers.  We don't think Gomez hired him simply out of stupidity.  Tully was hired because he's family and he was available.  He understands both regular society- and the law and investments-  and can fit into the clan.   Tully and Margaret don't act like the normal public when confronted with clan behavior.  Tully is fine with Gomez allegedly trying to spear him with a rapier, then dueling as soon as he walks into Gomez' study.  He argues with "Gate" bur doesn't tell the Addams' to make it settle down.  Margaret, upon meeting with the whole clan, does NOT run off screaming or anything-  and there were plenty of reasons for her to do that like in the old show when neighbors visited.   She reacted to supposedly tearing off Grandma's hand, and I forget if she tried to break into the vault and the plants got her, or if that was "Dr Binderschloss."  However, upon meeting Cousin It, she didn't freak out, and she ended up chatting with him.  Most shockingly, she has NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER UNDERSTANDING HIM.   THAT is highly unusual.  She was willing to date Cousin It.  And marry, and have a kid.   The most reasonable explanation was that she WAS part of the family.  She thought Tully was the only male there she could accept, which is why SHE asked HIM. ("Why did I marry you?" "Because I said 'yes'.")      Ok, I think Tully and Margaret make a LOT more sense that way.

As for where the Addams fortune comes from, I think it has to do with who they are.  (This was my big idea.)  I think the Addams' are related to CHARON, the Boatman of the Underworld, or HADES its ruler, or possibly both.    Because treasure comes from underground, Hades is seen as really rich (aka Pluto, who lends his name to words like "plutocracy", government by the rich.)    Charon himself collects money from his passengers, and it adds up.  Decades ago, I read a book where someone wondered what he did with all his money.    Either would explain where the huge treasure vault of treasure came from that Gomez uses.     I got to thinking about this when thinking about how he gets to the vault. He goes through a passageway.  He takes a slide under his house. It goes a LONG way, and ends up at a river, with a riverboat to pole along.    The distance DOWN doesn't make sense. However, if he passed "down" into some sort of netherworld, then all the "down" could be THERE rather than LITERALLY under the house.   The end of the chute is at a dock with a heavy, heavy mist, with a boat like Charon's docked there for Gomez.  Gomez comments how the air there- out in the open and at the shore-  is "like a tomb." 

So, a connection to Charon or Hades would explain the passage as well as the wealth.  It would help explain what makes them a "family" by some standard- as descendants of Charon or Hades.   It would help explain some of their abilities.  (Even Tully can survive being turned upside down and held up by his neck.   Fester once claimed he opened his brother's skull as a kid and took out his brain.  The Mamushka and Gomez and Morticia's dance in the 2nd movie showed Fester and Morticia, in particular, displaying rare abilities in the dance.)

I think that's the basis for the family.  I think they'd consider adding people by marriage or whatever, as long as they truly fit in.   In the 2nd movie, Morticia sounded like she was ready to accept Debbie as a family member- except for her fashion sense.  When Debbie made Fester cut himself off from the Addams,  Morticia spoke to her. "You've ensnared Fester in some sort of sexual spell. I respect that.  But Debbie.... PASTELS????"   Even at the end, they sounded comfortable with her, all the way to their "Goodbye".   We felt a little bad for Debbie that they were so ready to accept her, but she couldn't see past her own plans.  They were even comfortable with serial killers in the family- if the tour of the family graveyard was any indication.

Ok, fine. We took this a LOT more seriously than we're supposed to.  I think it added a great deal to our enjoyment of both movies.   And for the record, I think Mrs Wolf and I would get along with both that movie version and the version from the classic TV show- but like the movie ones better.

Well, it's not normally something that comes up.  However, when there's something that could be an error in the show or movie, I try to think of reasons it could be "true" for the show or movie, and Mrs Wolf does the same.   It normally leads to pretty mundane explanations.   We agree that "Big Bang Theory" and "Young Sheldon" both filter Sheldon's past through his memory.  When he recounts what happened in BBT, he's often far off, but that's how he remembers it.   (He remembered his house being an RV trailer somehow, while his Dad was alive- but we see he grew up in a nice house in "Young Sheldon."   His internal narration is as error-ridden as anything else when determining what happened in "Young Sheldon."

Rarely, we come up with something cool.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, Raf said:

They telegraphed John's fate for years.

I liked the finale and how it resolved the previous storylines that we thought were long settled.

SPOILERS FOR "FADEOUT", the series finale of "ARROW."

Finally saw the series finale of "Arrow."   I just realized I still haven't told Mrs Wolf what John found at the end.  My first thought was her only thought- green K.  However, I quickly remembered the other possibility, and remembered the reference in one of the crossovers.      Mrs Wolf probably didn't think of it because she like the idea that the Earth with the GLs wasn't this one.  She thought it wouldn't mesh well.   Personally, I think it can mesh as well as Kryptonians, and should have a lot of "Sorry, I was in space"  whenever he would be useful to have around.   

I was surprised Ollie is STILL The Spectre.  I thought he went 'poof'  when they restarted the universe.   Interesting who is back- Tommy Merlyn, Moira Queen, Quentin Lance.  Mrs Wolf and I both knew who COULDN'T come back, but she articulated the reason better than I did.  (She's the Whovian, and more familiar with paradoxes in stories.)  I just thought of some deaths as "locked in"  and more critical to the timeline.   I remember a comic book where Booster Gold was recruited as the time cop by Rip Hunter.  Booster went off on his own, early on.  He wanted to prevent the Joker from crippling Barbara Gordon (" the Killing Joke.")   After MANY attempts and getting beaten up a LOT, he went back to Rip, who explained that some events CAN'T be changed, and that was one (which is why he told Booster not to try.) 

BTW, John Byrne was the name given to somebody who went a little crazy?   That hits a little close to home.    It was nice to see John and Lyla got BOTH their kids,  but Mrs Wolf got a little confused and thought that JJ was Connor Hawke/ Ben Turner's son  and that they had 1 kid and adopted 1.  No, they haven't adopted Connor yet, and those were the son and daughter (John Jr and Sara.)

Based on that ending, they gave themselves some flexibility.  If they never want to bring Ollie back, that's fine.  He and Felicity have their happy ending, period.  (A la Earth-2's Lois and Clark, who were sent to some paradise or heaven or something at the close of the comic CoIE 12)      Since he said he's The Spectre, we can have him back whenever The Spectre is needed.  Or not, since The Spectre's comings and goings are unpredictable at our level, like the Phantom Stranger.    The Spectre gets involved if the entire planet is at stake (like " Final Night" )  or more (Crisis on Infinite Earths,  a war between Heaven and Hell...)    So, the writers have a lot of freedom.  Nice to see Rory Regan's back in action, and at least some of the characters have plans in their retirement. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to wish that Legends of Tomorrow would go back to its serious roots.  But I'm finding that the silliness is growing on me.  There were a few times with tonight's episode where I laughed out loud.  Even with Arrow gone, there's enough darkness in the other shows that I can enjoy what's become almost a parody.

On a side note, with Nora Darrkh now a fairy godmother, there was a scene in the show a couple of weeks ago that could have gone a completely different way.  Nora pops up in a troubled high schooler's bedroom and asks what his deepest desire is.  She was afraid he was going to ask for revenge on the other high schoolers, when all he really wanted was a nice suit for the prom.  Okay.  But when I was in high school, if this showed up in my room and asked me what I wanted

Courtney-Ford-Eyes.jpg

I'm pretty sure that my response wouldn't have been "a suit."  :dance:

George

We're just happy that at least ONE of the shows isn't angsty.  We're following Flash and LoT right now, DC-wise.    Star Girl might be lighter, but we'll have to wait and see.  (The last one we saw of LoT was the one you mentioned.)    Yes, in fairness,  a lot of teenage guys would have gone a different direction there.  In HIS case, he was SUCH an outsider that what he wanted most of all, deep down, was to fit in, maybe get some respect by his peers, and have good memories of his prom- especially with a girl he'd thought about before, not just one arriving now.  Besides, Nora looked significantly older than him, so that might have made a big difference to him.    There's been NSFW responses to that sort of thing where some guy got that type of question and gave that type of answer, but it didn't fit this show.     

When I was eighteen, I probably wouldn't have looked at a 30-year-old woman.  Now that I'm almost 64, there are women in their 70s who look good, as well as those in their 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, and 20s.  My horizons have grown. :biglaugh:

I remember that I first started feeling old when I could go to the gym, see two good-looking girls, and realize that I was as old as both of them, together.  Now, it's three of them.  :rolleyes:

George

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

When I was eighteen, I probably wouldn't have looked at a 30-year-old woman.  Now that I'm almost 64, there are women in their 70s who look good, as well as those in their 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, and 20s.  My horizons have grown. :biglaugh:

I remember that I first started feeling old when I could go to the gym, see two good-looking girls, and realize that I was as old as both of them, together.  Now, it's three of them.  :rolleyes:

George

If you're 17, a 32-year old woman is twice your age.   I doubt you'd find many centenarians as good-looking.  

Nora is, of course, Ray Palmer's real-life-wife.

Kills it for me. 

She is gorgeous though.

Anyway, the following comment is not related to anything, but if you had told me a year ago that the Godwin of Godwin's law would be one of my readers, one of my most loyal followers on Twitter and a friend on Facebook, I would have said you were crazy. But here we are.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with the shows themselves, but if you get a chance, Jeremy Jordan (Winn) plays the lead in the stage production of Newsies, which I believe is available on Netflix, but if you have to pay for it, I honestly recommend it.