GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

I do not subscribe to any streaming service.  I had considered getting DC's service, but after I was told that the shows were extremely violent and full of profanity, I took a pass.  Supposedly, HBO is starting a streaming service which will carry a Green Lantern show.  I MIGHT get that one.

George

I rarely buy physical copies of movies anymore. VUDU allows you to convert DVDs to digital for a nominal fee [not so nominal if you have more than 100 movies, of course, but still, per film...].

Anyway, streaming services would probably qualify as its own thread. HBO Go is already very good and I hope the Green Lantern series is not yet ANOTHER service.

• 1 month later...

Green Lantern, if it comes to pass, will be on HBOMax.  The good news (for me) is that it will be free for those with DIRECTTV.

COVID-19 has made an episode of Flash into a cliffhanger season finale, as the last three episodes didn't get finished.

Supergirl's season finale was also sort of a cliffhanger, but I think it was planned.  

Stargirl starts on Tuesday (Monday on streaming services).  I don't know if they'll use the Crisis as a way to explain the existence of the Justice Society.  I kind of hope they do.  In the comics, the JSA were retconned into Earth-1 history after the Crisis.

Is it just my imagination, or is the Arrowverse becoming female-dominant.  All the male heroes (except, of course, Flash) seem to be going away, while female heroes are joining in.  There are still BAD male characters, of course...

George

Ultimately, they're not going to care what I think.   (The comics people who brought back Barry Allen after decades of Wally didn't care, and neither do these people.)

I think whoever replaces her, statistically speaking, has a good chance of being a better actress, statistically speaking.  She has a reasonably good chance of looking more like Kate Kane/Batwoman are SUPPOSED to look.   (Like the guy who's playing John Constantine was a much better choice than Keanu.)   The problem here is that NOW they've established that Kate Kane looks nothing like the original comic book character (except in a general way- female, brunette.)   So, whether they cast for "she looks more like the comics character"  or "she looks like the actress she replaced",  there's going to be disappointed people.  I'm keeping my expectations low- this way, I can only be PLEASANTLY surprised!  :)

I actually didn't hate Batwoman this season.  I actually kind of like Rachel Skarsten.  She was good in Lost Girl (as a Valkyrie) and Reign (as Queen Elizabeth I).

I wasn't too impressed with Stargirl, though it does have potential.  I hope there are JSA flashbacks occasionally.

George

On 5/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, WordWolf said:

Ultimately, they're not going to care what I think.   (The comics people who brought back Barry Allen after decades of Wally didn't care, and neither do these people.)

I think whoever replaces her, statistically speaking, has a good chance of being a better actress, statistically speaking.  She has a reasonably good chance of looking more like Kate Kane/Batwoman are SUPPOSED to look.   (Like the guy who's playing John Constantine was a much better choice than Keanu.)   The problem here is that NOW they've established that Kate Kane looks nothing like the original comic book character (except in a general way- female, brunette.)   So, whether they cast for "she looks more like the comics character"  or "she looks like the actress she replaced",  there's going to be disappointed people.  I'm keeping my expectations low- this way, I can only be PLEASANTLY surprised!  :)

From CW, via Yahoo!:

“The studio and network are firmly committed to Batwoman’s second season and long-term future, and we — along with the show’s talented creative team — look forward to sharing its new direction, including the casting of a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”

Batwoman Season 2, like many returning CW series, is not slated to premiere until January 2021.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, CW is not taking the obvious way out of Ruby Rose's departure from Batwoman, i.e., recasting Kate Kane.  Instead, they're going with a whole new Batwoman.  This strikes me as insanely dumb.  It makes the whole first season (including the crossover) meaningless.  The new Batwoman won't be Alice/Beth's sister or Commander Kane's daughter, and presumably won't be the "Paragon of Courage."  About the only thing she WILL be is lesbian (although there would be no reason for a non-Kate Kane Batwoman to BE lesbian).

George

Mrs Wolf saw CoIE, and thought that the time to switch Batwoman would have been the beginning of Part 5-  possibly not revealing she was different until afterwards in her own series.  After all, we saw different Clark Kents, and different Lex Luthors, why not a different Kate Kane?     She and I had different thoughts about whether or not flashbacks should show her with the first actress (she remembers the previous events)  or re-remembering them with the new actress (her memories "corrected" to her current appearance.)    Yes. the current thing also kicks out a "paragon",  and so on.  But, again, I'm not their target audience, so obviously they don't care what I think.

Well, Hartley Sawyer has been fired from The Flash for (as every outlet refers to them) "racist, misogynist tweets" from several years ago.

So, do they "Dick York/Dick Sargent" Ralph Dibny (you know, he kind of looks like Darrin Stevens!)?  Do they just eliminate the character?  Do they get Mehcahd Brooks to come over and be Jimmy Olsen/Elastic Lad?  Maybe bring in a Plastic Man?

FWIW, when thinking about casting a Justice League movie years ago, my Plastic Man would have been Jim Carrey.  Of course, his salary would be more than the budget for the whole show (Flash, that is).

George

On 5/17/2020 at 9:17 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Green Lantern, if it comes to pass, will be on HBOMax.  The good news (for me) is that it will be free for those with DIRECTTV.

Due to a login hitch, it took me quite a while, but I can finally get into HBO Max.  I'm watching the Teen Titans cartoon "The Judas Contract."

George

I intend to watch both.  We're rationing our last 3 Arrowverse episodes-  1 Flash, 2 LoT   The titles of the Stargirl episodes look promising.  I hope they're not a lot more promising than the content.

I've resumed watching "the Daily Show", mainly because it's still pretty funny and still making episodes every week.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:06 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It's the last season.  Colson is now an android with his memories downloaded into it.

The team is traveling through time, trying to stop the Chronicons (sp?).  Sort of an "Agent Carter" crossover this last episode.

George

So... Marvel's Legends of Tomorrow?