GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

So, Stargirl is actually pretty good.  Since the two-week no-spoilers rule is past for the pilot and probably a couple of episodes, I can give the basic premise:  The Injustice Society killed all the JSA (except Stripesy -- Pat Dugan).  Pat has a son and recently married Courtney Whitmore's mom.  He brings the family to Blue Valley, where the JSA had had their headquarters.  Courtney finds the Cosmic Staff and bonds with it.  She later grabs all the old JSA equipment and starts dealing it out to her classmates, including Yolanda Montez, Beth Chapel, and Rick Tyler.  (The names of JSA successors in the comics.)  Courtney's stepbrother mentions he has a friend named Jakeem, but we haven't seen him yet.  It will be interesting to see if they recruit a Flash or Green Lantern, since Jay Garrick and Alan Scott never got replaced in the comics.  Oh, and coincidentally, all of the Injustice Society live in Blue Valley, too.  All this and high school drama.   :anim-smile:

George

There's difficulties if we get a proper Jakeem Thunder.  That or a GL gives us too much power for this scale of team. Jakeem was Johnny Thunder's replacement, and gave orders to the Thunderbolt.  

How can that be fixed?  Two possibilities present themselves immediately:

1) Let him make a single wish, then the Thunderbolt goes away for now.  Jakeem can give one order per scene or per hour or per day, or something.

2) Jakeem's not a successor to Johnny Thunder,  he's a successor to Jonni Thunder- Thunderbolt.  He can basically turn into living lightning.

I think another Flash might not be the best idea, but maybe Johnny Quick, Max Mercury or Impulse might be called for.    How about Liberty Belle?    Oh- we'd better get Cyclone/Maxine Hunkell if this series goes the distance. 

SHIELD is really getting good.  Too bad it's the final season.  (Reminds me of ST Enterprise.  The last season was great, but it had already lost its viewers.)

As I mentioned, the team is travelling through time, trying to stop the Chronicons from screwing up the timeline.  They're making each episode in the style of TV shows from the given time period.  In the 1950's episode, Colson's robotic eyes were damaged, so everything was in black and white.  This past episode (1970s), the intro was as it would be on an ensemble show of the time.  And it's not just the gimmick(s). The story line is good!

George

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Odds and ends:

The new Batwoman will be Javicia Leslie, who out-diversity-es Ruby Rose by being black, as well as bisexual.  She won't be playing Kate Kane, so it will be interesting to see how all of the other relationships on the show will change.  Although there were tensions on the set, Rose gives an injury sustained in filming as the main reason for leaving.

Stargirl finished its first season in fine form.  One has to suspend a lot of disbelief to accept that a group of inexperienced teen-agers could do what the actual JSA could not; but the show was fun and has a good tie-in for next season (which won't be until next year).  I wonder when the next season of the other shows will begin.  Will Stargirl be part of the crossover?

Agents of SHIELD has its final, two-hour, episode tonight.  This season has been very good.

George

Enjoyed the SHIELD finale.  Spoiler:  Coulson does NOT die at the end of THIS season.  :wink2:

Apparently, Warner is reorganizing and cutting a lot of DC stuff in the process.  One effect is that the DCU streaming service is essentially going away, with its content migrating to HBOMax.  The good news is, I get HBOMax because I get HBO from DIRECTTV.  I've watched one episode each of Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn.  I like the former much more than the latter, probably because the profanity and violence isn't nearly so severe in Doom Patrol.  I think there were more expletives in a 25-minute episode of HQ than in the whole Scarface movie.  Plus, for some reason, Jim Gordon is a wretch in HQ.  It will interesting to see Teen Titans, when it rolls out.  It also supposedly is full of graphic violence and language.  Am I an old fuddy-duddy to think that "Good work, Chum!" is more appropriate for Batman than "F--- this s---!"?  (Of course, only an old fuddy-duddy would use the term, fuddy-duddy.)

George

Sooner or later, someone at DC is going to connect the dots. They envy the success of DC.  They aren't getting that it's based on the fans getting what the fans want to see.  Iron Man is Iron Man, Captain America is Captain America, and so on.  

When they were working on "Man of Steel", they polled the public as to what they wanted to see. The public was specific.   As movies is a service industry, the Powers That Be should have been DELIGHTED.  The audience told them what they wanted to spend their money on,  and it was something they could make.   The public wanted the classic Superman.  The director, however, was ANGRY at the public.  He didn't WANT to make a movie about SUPERMAN.  He didn't WANT the heroism, the costume, the flying,  etc.    I'm unclear why he even signed on to MAKE a Superman movie if he didn't want to make one.   So, he made a "Superman" movie that bombed.   They thought they should copy the success of their Batman movies. However, those worked because they gave the audience BATMAN.  

The Wonder Woman movie, I'm pleasantly surprised to say, delivered Wonder Woman.   Perhaps someone will figure it out.   The previous attempt was "the Avengers banter, so we need some bantering" and they made Suicide Squad.   That had bantering, but otherwise wasn't what the audience wanted. 

So, with the success of Wonder Woman, and DC Hero Girls,  perhaps someone has figured it out.  We'll have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

So, with the success of Wonder Woman, and DC Hero Girls,  perhaps someone has figured it out.  We'll have to wait and see.

Let's not forget Aquaman, which was pretty much, Aquaman.

Is DC Super-Hero Girls a success?  I mean, I watch it; but I never hear anything else about it.

George

I've watched Justice League: War, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, and Justice League:Doom on HBOMax.  All faithful renditions of the story lines in the comics.  An interesting moment in JL:W is when Diana first tries ice cream and decides it's probably man's greatest achievement.  In Super-Hero Girls, Diana has the same reaction, though much more comically.  (She basically buries her head in the dish.)  :dance:

George

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a friend's house watching TV.  She introduced me to an Amazon Prime show, "The Boys."  It's an interesting take on super-heroes, in that most of them are a-holes, working for a large corporation.  Karl Urban and Elisabeth Shue have major roles, although "The Seven" (essentially a corrupt Justice League) are actors I haven't seen before.  Apparently, the show is now in its second season.  Has anyone else seen it?

(One of the characters' name is "Black Noir."  Hard to get sillier than that.)

George

• 3 weeks later...

CW has announced that the coming season will be the last for Supergirl.  Superman and Lois Lane will be up and running, so we may see Supergirl in frequent guest roles.  As for me, the biggest loss would be Martian Manhunter.  Since Crisis put Supergirl, et al, in the same universe as the other heroes, hopefully J'onn J'onzz will appear elsewhere.

Swamp Thing has also moved to CW, probably rerunning the DCOnline episodes.  (In a similar line, CBS will run Discovery on Thursday nights, at least until new shows are available.)

George

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When "Teen Titans Go!" first came on, I thought it was insipid.  These days, though, I find I enjoy its no-hold-barred parodying of almost every genre.  I saw an episode this morning called, "Classic Titans," where Control Freak turns the Titans into 1960's versions (a la "Super-Friends" or "Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure").  I don't remember those shows having such awful animation, barely one notch above the old Krantz Marvel cartoons; but the parody was spot-on.  There was even someone using his best Ted Knight voice to do the narration, even explaining that he was needed because the action was so uninformative.  :biglaugh:

George

• 1 month later...

So, Batwoman is back.

So, a homeless woman (who just happens to be an ex-martial arts instructor) finds the Batsuit in the wreckage of a plane and puts it on to avenge the people who killed her mom.  Is Kate Kane dead?  Likely, but also likely we'll never know.  The supporting cast stays, even Alice (whose followers, it turns out, were the killers of new girl's mom). And pretty much anybody who didn't already know Kate was Batwoman, does now.

It's hard to see where this is heading, but they worked so hard to retrofit everything that I figure I owe them a few looks.

In other news, Superman and Lois Lane debuts next month, and "Painkiller" from Black Lightning spins off his own show,

George

"Superman and Lois" premieres Feb. 23.  Apparently, they have two sons. "Crisis" showed us one of them, so they're not twins.   That's all I know.  The Flash season premiere was supposed to lead into it, but they've added a "special interviews" show after S&L and moved Flash back to Mar.2.

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...