GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

• 1 month later...

Stargirl has been interesting.  (Apparently, Lou Ferrigno has graduated from the Hulk to Solomon Grundy.)  A friend of mine pointed out how DARK (visually) it is.  I imagine that's because Eclipso has been causing bad weather, but the few sunlight scenes are almost jarring by comparison.

Supergirl has gotten a little more preachy than it was (which was somewhat preachy, anyway).  Also, the plot line seems rather mundane for a final season.

John Diggle's appearances on Batwoman and Supergirl seem only to provide emotional support to other black characters.  It's a little odd.

George

• 2 weeks later...

This from Yahoo!:

Kicking off Season 8 of The CW’s The Flash on Nov. 16 at 8/7c, the team-up event — airing across five consecutive Tuesdays — finds Grant Gustin’s Barry recruiting a cavalcade of superfriends, including Brandon Routh’s The Atom (see photo), Cress Williams’ Black Lightning, Katherine McNamara’s Mia Smoak (from Arrow), Javicia Leslie’s Batwoman, Chyler Leigh’s Sentinel (from Supergirl) and Osric Chau’s Ryan Choi (from the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover event).

Said assembly of heroes will face an extraterrestrial threat led by Defiance alum Tony Curran’s Despero, while Arrowverse vets Tom Cavanagh and Neal McDonough will reprise their respective villainous roles of Eobard Thawne/Reverse Flash and Damien Darhk.

Interesting that there are no Superman, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, Frost, or any Legend except Ray Palmer.  Seems like the weakest crossover team yet.

Note that it's all on Flash episodes, though Batwoman may be the only other show running at that time.

George

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT LoT episode last night!  Gideon has become corporeal but lost her memory.  Astra and Spooner go into her mind to help and run across:

• Jefferson Jackson
  • Martin Stein
  • Carter Hall
  • Ray Palmer
  • Nora Darhk
  • Leonard Snart
  • a more "old school" Sara Lance, and
  • Rip Hunter

I think it's great that they could get the band back together for this episode.  :eusa_clap:

George

Stargirl finished its summer run.  A good story.  No real surprises, but some teasers for next season.

Supergirl ends its seven-year run next week, with a two-hour finale.  I expect a lot of guest stars.  (Well, OK.  In teh preview for next week, Brainiac 5 mentions "calling for reinforcements.")

George

Supergirl finale:  OK, but not a big winner IMHO.

It was nice to see Mon-el, Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant, and Winn Schott, again, and Helen Slater (as Eliza Danvers) gives a wink to her movie role.  I'm surprised that Superman didn't show up, and Barry Allen would have been nice (her first crossover).  All the action was over about midway through the second hour.  The last half hour was all touchy-feely stuff with a predictable ending.

George

• 1 month later...

The five-part Flash "Armageddon" cross-over finished this evening.  I haven't watched any of the episodes, yet.

Interestingly, Riverdale has just concluded a five-story arc about "Rivervale," sort of an Earth-2 version of Riverdale.  It ended with the 100th episode of the show, and it's a keeper.  It had some elements of "Flash of Two Worlds" in that Rivervale was in comic books in Riverdale, and the two Jugheads team up to save both universes.  A cute touch was when the actor who played Reggie in some of the early episodes argues with the later Reggie:

"I'm Reggie!"

"Yeah, for, like, three issues!"

There was also a brief "Jughead dies and goes to Pop's in the sky," where all the characters are their sweet, innocent, comic-book selves.  One quick scene with Betty, Veronica, and Archie drinking milkshakes was, I believe, the cover of a PEP comic from the early days.

This is obviously ALL spoilers, but I don't think any of you are watching the show, so it doesn't matter.  :rolleyes:  If you WOULD like to see the episode (and I recommend it), you can see it starting tomorrow on CW's website

https://www.cwtv.com/

George

That all sounds interesting, but I'd have to be more interested to want to sit down to watch it.  I might have been interested if they included the old MLJ superheroes somewhere, but the only one they included was the Black Hood, and instead of a detective/hero, they made him a serial killer or something.   I'm interested enough to read your description, but that's it.

There was an episode where Archie was Pureheart the Powerful for Halloween, and I think a couple of the other "gag" heroes appeared.  As far as Archie Comics' "serious" heroes, none of them have appeared.

As an aside, the first two comic books I ever purchased were Justice League of America # 14 and whatever the contemporaneous Jaguar comic was (they didn't have numbers on the cover).  I also read The Fly (OK, technically, both comics were "Adventures of..." titles).  Both comics were cancelled early on, though.

George

10 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Interestingly, Riverdale has just concluded a five-story arc about "Rivervale," sort of an Earth-2 version of Riverdale.  It ended with the 100th episode of the show, and it's a keeper.  It had some elements of "Flash of Two Worlds" in that Rivervale was in comic books in Riverdale, and the two Jugheads team up to save both universes.  A cute touch was when the actor who played Reggie in some of the early episodes argues with the later Reggie:

"I'm Reggie!"

"Yeah, for, like, three issues!"

There was also a brief "Jughead dies and goes to Pop's in the sky," where all the characters are their sweet, innocent, comic-book selves.  One quick scene with Betty, Veronica, and Archie drinking milkshakes was, I believe, the cover of a PEP comic from the early days.

This is obviously ALL spoilers, but I don't think any of you are watching the show, so it doesn't matter.  :rolleyes:  If you WOULD like to see the episode (and I recommend it), you can see it starting tomorrow on CW's website

https://www.cwtv.com/

There was also a running gag that no stays dead for long, at least in Rivervale.  The Rivervale "villain" turned out to be Archie, trying to keep Earth-Rivervale around so that his dad would come back.  :cryhug_1_:

George

Since I had an older brother, I'm not sure what the first comic I ever read was- but I was VERY young when I read it,  as in 3 1/2 or 4.     He wasn't a JLA fan, so the first JLA comic I everread was JLA vol 1 #123.

https://markperigard.com/2015/08/08/crisis-in-infinite-weirdness-when-the-jla-the-jsa-battled-their-creators/

https://brevoorthistoryofcomics.tumblr.com/post/153743268239/i-was-super-excited-when-my-subscription-copy-of

Yes, the very first JLA comic I read, when very young, introduced the JLA, the JSA, Earth-1, Earth-2, and Earth=Prime.  I was able to follow it, but with so little space to give the JLA'ers, their powers seemed a little vague.

BTW, in the 2nd link, you see a fight between the JSA and some instant flower-attacker at a botanical garden.  Wonder Woman and Johnny Thunder were attacked by a seed-pod that launched pit-sized seeds,  Robin and WIldcat were attacked by strangling roots, and Hourman and Dr Mid-nite were Venus Fly=trapped.   Wonder Woman's standard bullets-and-bracelets routine blocked the pits, but Johnny was clocked in the jaw and in too much pain to pronounce his magic word.  Robin used a portable micro-torch (IIRC) to burn off the roots, while Wildcat karate-chopped them. (When did the heavyweight prizefighting boxer learn to throw karate-chops?)    But Dr Mid-Nite's blackout bomb was probably most useful, since the plant couldn't recharge with sunlight, so Hourman could overpower the jaws, and the others were able to win against their threats.  (IIRC, it was all 1 plant.) 

With that as my introduction, I really think new readers can learn to pick up and follow the stories, provided there's a decent recap for what's necessary (like explaining the JLA is on Earth-1, the JSA is in Earth-2, and we're on Earth-Prime where both are just comic books.)

To be clear, the first comic I ever READ was Flash #115, "The Day the Flash Weighed 1000 Pounds."  It was handed to me by a schoolmate on the bus ride home.  Every weekend, I would stay with my paternal grandmother, who lived a few miles from us.  I told her that we needed to go buy some comic books :biglaugh: and so we picked up the aforementioned JLA and Jaguar comics.  I was about 6 at the time.

For several years I also read the Archie line of comics, as well as Dennis the Menace, but eventually dropped them in favor of just the DC super-hero line (and some Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis DC comics, but their runs ended when I was still young).  I think the cutoff point was when comics went from 12 to 15 cents.  On another tangent, my weekly bill at my comic store is now about $45.  When I was a kid, that would have lasted 3-4 years!  Not only were the comics much cheaper, but there were fewer titles, and not all comics were monthly.

George

Binged "Armageddon."  Not so much a cross-over as Flash episodes with guest cameos.  Episode 1 Ray Palmer.  Episode 2 Alex Danvers.  Episode 3 Black Lightning, Batwoman, and Ryan Choi.  Episode 4 Batwoman, Choi, Danvers.  Episode 5  Mia Smoak, Nora Darhk.  There are also appearances by other Flash team members and villains.  Most of the action is resolved by the end of episode 4; 5 is largely interpersonal touch-feely stuff.  I did enjoy the appearance of some old Justice League villains.  :wave:

George

Yes.  It was five consecutive episodes of Flash, but with cameos of varying length and importance from LoT, Batwoman, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and Arrow.  There were two main villains.  One was often seen on the show; the other was a DC villain not previously seen in the Arrowverse.  Another minor villain had the same name as an old Justice League villain, but with a different gender and power set.

George

I'm probably going to catch up with "the Flash" (no pun intended)  in January, with a long marathon of Flash episodes. The main question will be if the Mrs will catch up with me.  (We used to watch "Arrow" and "Gotham" for a few years, but "LoT" and "Flash" for their entire runs until the covid interruption. )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...