GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to catch up on the shows I never quite got into. Batwoman. The last seasons of Supergirl. Superman and Lois (which seems to be pretending it was never part of the Arrowverse, which is fine).

Even though the same actors playing Superman and Lois played them in Arrowverse stories, this show mentions super-hero teams in OTHER universes, so no Supergirl or Justice Leaguers here (unfortunately).

Apparently there will a Gotham Knights TV show on CW starting in mid-March.  Summary from Wikipedia:

In the wake of Bruce Wayne's death, his adopted son Tim Drake forges an unlikely alliance with the children of Batman's enemies. Drake works with these children when their parents are all framed for the murder of Bruce and attempt to clear their names.

George

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Raf said:

I skipped last season so i felt a little lost. Anyone got a recap?

Very briefly, the first five episodes were the "Armageddon" crossover.  After a two-episode "interlude" the next main arc had Iris trapped in the Still Force and Ronnie Raymond resurrected (or not).  Another interlude, then the last story arc had Team Flash fight against the "Negative" Forces (negative versions of the Speed, Still, Strong, and Sage).

You can get a lot more detail HERE.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, Superman and Lois is back.  Remember when I said that this show was a good blend of soap opera and superhero stuff?  Not this episode.  95% soap opera, 5% superhero.  Also Jordan Elsass, who played Jon Kent in the first two seasons, left the show and has been replaced by Michael Bishop.

Gotham Knights also premiered tonight.  This is a completely different Bat-universe.  Bruce Wayne is murdered and found out to be Batman.  Three kid thieves (Duela, Harper Row and Cullen Row) are framed for it, along with BW's adopted son.  (Dick Grayson?  No.  Jason Todd?  Guess again.  Tim Drake?  Wrong, buffalo breath!  It's Turner Hayes.  Who????)  Apparently, Hayes never knew about his father's extra-curricular activities.  The kids escape the police with the help of Robin (Carrie Kelley, using the name of the red-headed girl in the Dark Knight series, though this young lady is black) and Stephanie Brown.  Misha Collins (Castiel from Supernatural) is an unscarred DA Harvey Dent.  So, a lot of names from the DCU but virtually none of the character histories.  I'll give it some time (it's not as if there are a lot of comic book shows left); but the first episode certainly did not wow me.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Not super-hero, but comic-book related:

Riverdale starts its final season tonight (after The Flash).  My understanding is that the stories will be more like the comic book, with little or none of the supernatural and film noir aspects of the first seasons (with Jughead being the only character who can remember what has gone before).  Maybe they got good enough reviews of the 100th episode, which also went back to "Classic Archie," to do some more. I've enjoyed the show, but I would have liked to see it more "old school" (pun intended).

George

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect that I'm the only one watching Riverdale.  Except for the first episode this season, which tried to bridge the previous, we're-all-now-ten-years-out-of-high-school-in-2020 season to the current, we're-all-now-in-high-school-in-the-1950s season, the show has been pretty faithful to the comics (although not as funny).  I especially enjoy hearing "Golly!" and "Gee whiz!" instead of all the cussing so prevalent today.  One cute story line has Jughead writing comic books and collaborating with his hero "Brad Raybury," author of "The Jupiter Journals."  :anim-smile:

Sexual mores of the time are examined realistically (IMHO).  Kevin's and Toni's dealing with their homosexuality is also believable.  (Of course, to make things more taboo, both are in interracial relationships.)  Noticeably absent from the group was Reggie Mantle, until this past episode.  His purpose seems to be the focus of anti-Asian bigotry, which was indeed a problem in the 50s.

If you were (are?) a fan of the Archie comics, I recommend watching at least this season, which will be the final one.

George

And the Arrowverse comes to an end.  Arrow, Legends, Supergirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning, and now Flash gone.  (And Stargirl, Gotham, and Naomi, but they weren't really Arrowverse.  Superman and Lois and Gotham Knights continue, but not in the Arrowverse.)

The last episode had some good action, with all of Flash's super-speed villains teaming up against Team Flash.  And, of course, the syrupy ending.  I wish Paco and Ralph had been involved, but I don't make those decisions...

George

• 1 month later...

Superman and Lois and Gotham Knights had their season finales last night.  Both have decent cliffhangers for next season.

Spoiler alerts (since none of you seem to actually be watching the series):

• Bruno Mannheim is gone and Luthor is here, creating an obvious foe for Superman.
  • There were actually some nice scenes with Lois coming to terms with her double mastectomy.
  • Harvey Dent finally goes full Two-Face.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

• 1 month later...

My Adventures with Superman is cute.  

I saw "Ms. Marvel" in my DIRECTTV Guide Saturday night on ABC, so I set the system to record "All new episodes."  Only one of the three shown that night was recorded, because THE SHOW ISN'T NEW.  Apparently it streamed sometime last year.  The remaining three episodes air this coming Saturday.  If I decide to watch them, I'll record "ALL episodes."  :rolleyes:  It's about a Pakistani-American girl who idolizes Captain Marvel (the Marvel version) and cosplays her at "Avengercon."  She adds a gauntlet (an old family relic) to her costume and finds, to her surprise, that it gives her some powers.  The first episode took a long time to get interesting, but the show has some promise.

George

it's been streaming on Disney Plus for a while now. It's very good, and the character figures in the upcoming Marvels movie, so worth investing the time.

Not great. But good.

And the first MCU usage of a Very Important Word in a later episode.

So, I missed episodes 2 and 3 but saw 4-6.  

Not great.  But good.  :anim-smile:

Her powers seem less like Capt. Marvel's and more like Green Lantern's, in that she seems to generate light constructs (mostly in the form of interconnecting tiles).  I think it's funny that she doesn't fly but hops from floating construct to floating construct, kind of like a video game character.

George

• 4 months later...

Superman and Lois will end after a ten-episode season in 2024.  Hopefully, something will take its place, or a run of DC super-hero shows starting with Smallville in 2001 will come to an end.  (Yes, I remember Lois and Clark, but it ended several years before Smallville.)

George