GreaseSpot Cafe

Why I Stopped Caring about Who Marries Whom

Even at the height of my fundamentalist stage, I did not have a serious issue with homosexuality. I don't know if it's a genetic thing, a character thing, or an environmental thing. What I do know is that most homosexuals do not feel they "chose" homosexuality over hetero. Nor did I have serious issues with marriage between homosexuals. Now I do not care about that, nor do I care about whether people decide to poly marry. Why? Because why we marry today is not the reason why people got married in the past, nor was it something ordained by god. It was around long before any of the monotheistic religions.

Back in the day it was essentially a contract between 2 families. It was done to solidify power, or keep the peace. In early Christianity marriage was something one did when one was too earthly to be chaste. It did not achieve "sacrament" status until the 12th century, which IMO totally takes it out of the realm of being something that is religious in origin or nature, much less ordained by god.

Whether homosexuals marry does not in any way interfere with my marriage. The quality of my marriage has not changed since homosexuals have been able to marry in my state.

Whether or not homosexuals can have children should not interfere with marriage. Plenty of heterosexuals either can't or choose not to have children. No one's denying them marriage.

If multiple people want to marry - let them. The problem is when someone is drug into that lifestyle who wants no part of it. OR when men are allowed to have more than one wife, yet women can't have more than one husband. The "who's the father" argument is a moot point and in plural marriage, support and raising of the children should have no bearing on parentage.

Where I would draw the line is the age of consent. And that is because certain religions tend to marry off children way before they can consent - particularly the polygamist groups.

Not that I noticed, but religious groups tend to be the ones who take advantage of the young and force people into lifestyles that they might not choose on their own.

And religious people need to get off their high horse about providing services to non-hetero couples.

Baking a cake is baking a cake.

Flowers are flowers.

Pictures are pictures.

But, I can't imagine that someone would want to force a pastor into marrying them to someone. That would be downright unnatural and out of character in any context.

• Upvote 2