GreaseSpot Cafe

Nowhere in the Bible....

waysider

Oh, the "Go Away" website.

Yeah, it's insulting, but I don't find it offensive as much as I

find it BORING. The guy can have a legitimate joke,

but he drags the thing on until it's larded full of stuff

that makes it a punishment to read an entire article.

I came across it some years ago, and found one article with

a lot of images was amusing if I summarized all the paragraphs

into 1 sentence each, then showed the relevant images to

someone, in order, with the relevant sentence.

Otherwise, it just dragged on....

And coming from someone who goes on, I know that you better

GET somewhere and have something periodically if you're going

to on at length. Otherwise it becomes a Bataan Death March

just to read it all.

A pratt of the first order and not worth engaging with. Great at wasting time, and useless and doing anything constructive. Surely drove that teacher mad.

Thanks to "political correctness", our once treasured concept of free speech is down the toilet.

I'm not sure how American freedom of speech is related to a conversation between two individuals in Australia.

It sounds more to me like you're trying to push someone's hot button.

• Upvote 1

WordWolf, I did really just want to let it slide but I can't, please, don't use the Bataan Death March in a comparison to anything. Met some of the survivors back in the mid-1980's; since then, I have never correlated that event to anything that was considered arduous. I know you meant no disrespect but only state this openly so others do not use that event in a correlation in the future. Hopefully you will not think I am just trying to be politically correct (Lord knows that I am far from that) nor am I trying to push a pro-military vet agenda, it's just very painfull to those few survivors that exist today but mostly, their families.

WordWolf, I did really just want to let it slide but I can't, please, don't use the Bataan Death March in a comparison to anything. Met some of the survivors back in the mid-1980's; since then, I have never correlated that event to anything that was considered arduous. I know you meant no disrespect but only state this openly so others do not use that event in a correlation in the future. Hopefully you will not think I am just trying to be politically correct (Lord knows that I am far from that) nor am I trying to push a pro-military vet agenda, it's just very painfull to those few survivors that exist today but mostly, their families.

I had never heard the term Bataan Death March. So, I looked it up.

That abomination sparked memory for me of a freshman class in Humanities I took in 1972, where we discussed "man's inhumanity to man."

This may be the first time I've agreed with MRAP (on anything he may have written at gsc), but yeah, it seems that invoking the BDM in relation to reading an offensive website could serve to trivialize that particular horrific historic event.

It sounds to me like he was making a correlation between the two.

It's a correlation that doesn't exist.

This is a discourse that took place between two individuals in Australia. It doesn't involve either government. The second statement (Thanks to "political correctness", our once treasured concept of free speech is down the toilet.) is a non-sequitur, seemingly inserted with the sole intention of eliciting political controversy.

I thought it was just Americans that were going around "feeling offended" at every imagined slight.

Thanks to "political correctness", our once treasured concept of free speech is down the toilet.

If not down the toilet, someones hand is certainly on the flush handle ! Everything from Halal certification on every product purchased in supermarkets to climate change not 'having' to be on every new piece of legislation ( a newspaper quote from New Zealands prime minister...yep, sadly scary.

If not down the toilet, someones hand is certainly on the flush handle ! Everything from Halal certification on every product purchased in supermarkets to climate change not 'having' to be on every new piece of legislation ( a newspaper quote from New Zealands prime minister...yep, sadly scary.

The link was intended as a joke. Some find it funny, others find it offensive. Whatever. It wasn't intended to be a launching pad for political discourse. There is no shortage of other places on the web to voice political opinions.

Paw made it clear that all political discussions are "Off-Topic" for all of the GSC now.

That was after it became clear that there was no successful way to allow them here and

keep any sense of civility. So, for the sake of the rest of the board, they left.

There are plenty of other places online to have political discussions, and interested

posters are always free to make one of their own- again.

As for the Bataan Death March, I meant no disrespect, obviously, and I'm fine with

not mentioning it out-of-context, out of respect. I'd appreciate, however, if you

have a substitute handy since it will be faster to change my phraseology if I can

swap in a different phrase for the excluded one.