GreaseSpot Cafe

The irony of it all......

skyrider

It never fails.....those who boast the most about twi NEVER were corps,

some never even signed on the line for the wow program.

Here at Greasespot Café.....we've seen this for nearly 15 years.

When I was a limb coordinator 20 years ago....there were two groups

of "wierwille-followers" in our state (1995) who stopped all contact

and involvement after vpw's death in 1985. They quit going to the

rock of ages....yet, the green bumper stickers were on their cars.

And, they methodically went thru old teaching tapes on Sunday.

It was like they were stuck in a time warp....not able to advance.

One could easily liken them to Branch "Wierwillians"...as first cousins

to the Branch Davidians or something. The Prophet had spoken.

YET.....those of us who were AROUND wierwille, and IN the corps program,

and WORKED ON HQ STAFF, have a very different take on the man who would

be self-proclaimed mog. Heck, I've talked to people who'd NEVER met vpw

and STILL thought he walked on water.

Kind of like people who know what it was like at Woodstock because they saw the movie.

Yeah....its like mystique BECOMES reality in their world.

And, this mystique holds preeminence FROM A DISTANCE.

In twi, the wierwille-mystique vanquishes all critical thought processes.

As the adulation grow, it borders on idolatry.

"The man" becomes the great power of God.

Yeah....its like mystique BECOMES reality in their world.

And, this mystique holds preeminence FROM A DISTANCE.

In twi, the wierwille-mystique vanquishes all critical thought processes.

As the adulation grow, it borders on idolatry.

"The man" becomes the great power of God.

*I added the bold text for emphasis*

Nope! It WAS idolatry! When you put anything in the place of God, it is idolatry

They quit going to the rock of ages....yet, the green bumper stickers were on their cars.

And, they methodically went thru old teaching tapes on Sunday.

It was like they were stuck in a time warp....not able to advance.

They had enshrined PFAL.....and wierwille's [plagiarized] books.

Nothing else mattered.

In their minds, they were "standing on the word."

And, having done all......they isolated themselves in cloistered glory.

• Upvote 1

Way International bumper stickers: I forgot all about those, Uncle Harry went around putting them on visitor vehicles at the Sunday night teachings at HQ (was that a true story?).

I am doing a house move and have hundreds of pounds of old twi stuff (boxes of books and tapes) and I know it includes some bumber stickers (both the older dark green and the newer - at the time - lime green ones - circa 1970's). Good practical joke, provide those to your neighbors/friends to place on your car. I know it's great glue, took me a long time to scrape em off me and my wife's vehicle bumpers.

Learning point: do not park on the street if you are overly active/informative on FaceBook.

Anyone want an old blue song book?

Way International bumper stickers: I forgot all about those, Uncle Harry went around putting them on visitor vehicles at the Sunday night teachings at HQ (was that a true story?).

I am doing a house move and have hundreds of pounds of old twi stuff (boxes of books and tapes) and I know it includes some bumber stickers (both the older dark green and the newer - at the time - lime green ones - circa 1970's). Good practical joke, provide those to your neighbors/friends to place on your car. I know it's great glue, took me a long time to scrape em off me and my wife's vehicle bumpers.

Learning point: do not park on the street if you are overly active/informative on FaceBook.

Anyone want an old blue song book?

YOU HAVE CONTRABAND!!! Those songbooks were supposed to be DESTROYED years ago!! You may expect a visit from the Blue Songbook Police anytime now!

I don't know about the bumper stickers at SNS but I do know that it happened at The Rock, much to the dismay of some older folks who I had invited, in hopes of signing them up for PFAL.

Edited by waysider

Contraband you say Broken Arrow, well, I will hide them away until I hit the twi site and see if they want them for the museum. Actually, I wanna keep those in the event I start up a home fellowship but would be willing to pass off a few.

Odds are, when I open one up, the pages will crumble like in the original "Time Machine".

Say, waysider, you are always such the comic releif on GSC, I never know when to take you serious but on the above post, I believe that you are.

Yes, MRAP, that really happened the first year that ROA was at HQ. (not the original ROA weekend event in 1971) There were some pretty teed-off old people. It was certainly a very poor PR move.....and they talked about walking by revelation... :biglaugh:

Most of my ROA's were Shelby County fair grounds but one in between was somewhere near HQ but I do know it had concrete latrines and a semi-permanent stage but mostly, it was a pasture with porti johns and no bathing facilities.

Yeh, we could start a ROA horror thread, go for it waysider.

I learned before even my first ROA to schedule a motel near by that nearly 20 of us could use to take showers and a quiet dang and move on back to the ROA grounds.

Oh, I love it, dang = dang.

This is a test since I know .... will not go across: so, .... = ?

I will not test the system further.

Am I in trouble for testing the system mein heir?

These were two different posts but combined by "the system". What the hell?

Edited by MRAP

Thanks Mom, no cussing in church or on line.

Yes, dang = s... if no one knows and f.. is just a big nothing.

So word cops, who are you?

Who's the big brothers on this sight and what are the writing rules - please post them.

Can I do a : @###$%@ just like in the 1940's comic strips?

Some, not I, played cuss games a few months back and Raf stepped in but Raf is not the big guy here (?) - who runs this site and sets the rules. Just let me know and I will abide but being blind sided, that's poor ethic on your part.

I am quite sure this whole post will be removed by the language police.

Test me!

I think it's part of the messageboard software- that the Admin can set what level to stop.

So, it can allow everything, or stop only a few words, or a LOT of words.

I was on a board once where I was referring to imaginary clothing stores

like "Retail Slut" and it saved as "Retail *very friendly person*".

A different post showed up as

"Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor,

Bruce Wayne, and his faithful young ward, thingy Grayson..."

On this one, I know one body part gets translated to "foot",

one curse just becomes an ellipse, excrement becomes "dang",

and so on. That's even true in a URL, and was a problem once

when I wanted to leave a link for something about the

Peshi++a Text and it broke the link by changing the text to

the "Pedangta Text." Most of the time, we just don't notice.

Although someone did once post something funny by making a

comment and using the word that results rather than the

original word. (It's not worth the entire explanation now.)

I know we've had horror stories from the ROA's before.

Somewhere, I think there is such a single thread, too.

And if you reply in succession, quickly, with nobody

posting between them, the software will merge the replies.

Thanks Mom, no cussing in church or on line.

Yes, dang = s... if no one knows and f.. is just a big nothing.

So word cops, who are you?

Who's the big brothers on this sight and what are the writing rules - please post them.

Can I do a : @###$%@ just like in the 1940's comic strips?

Some, not I, played cuss games a few months back and Raf stepped in but Raf is not the big guy here (?) - who runs this site and sets the rules. Just let me know and I will abide but being blind sided, that's poor ethic on your part.

I am quite sure this whole post will be removed by the language police.

Test me!

I doubt anyone will delete your post. To put WordWolf's insight a different way, the censorship of cuss words is automatic, not done manually by any person. There are other ways around it too.

By the way, when you post a second comment, less than five minutes after you posted another comment on the same thread, the two will combine unless somebody else posts a comment in between.

Thank God, VPW was dead before I ever heard of him. I never thought that much of him, really, was very aware of some of the errors in PFAL videos. In any event, he was just another preacher, yeah? with some new insights, but nothing that made him holier than me or any of the other churchmen that I knew.

Later, I met people that revered him in a way that was astounding to me. Many of these were people who hadn't met him. Did they even know he was dead, I wonder?

As an aside, just a few months in the Word, I met Chris Geer. My first "experience" of him turned me right off. So "Look at me! Look at me!!!" with that big beam on his face. "You can ask me anything!" My second experience of him, the same or the next day, was a chance encounter in a room, just the two of us, and I asked him something or other, don't know what, but he just blanked me and looked at me like I'd brought dog mess in on my shoes. Never trusted him after that.

Some later incidents of how he treated people confirmed what an unworthy leader he was.

• Upvote 1

ROA at the Allen County Fairgrounds----I think that's the one where VPW commanded all Advanced Class grads to the front of the stage for a healing service on closing night. He stood on stage, rambling on and on in his typical pontificating fashion, while the A.C.grads were to pick someone in need of deliverance and minister healing to them. He, himself, did nothing but stand before the microphone and babble. Now, there's some irony for you.

Or was Lima the one that was a big bicentennial celebration (1976)?

Anyone remember?

Edited by waysider

O.K. waysider, now you got me in a quagmire - I thought as I got older I would always still have the long term memory thing.

I was at the 1975 ROA and based on the stage set-up/facing to the north I think, that was for sure the one where the AC grads did the healing - as I recall, vpw told all the AC grads to go to the back (behind the crowd) and that anyone needing healing was to go to the back and seek out an AC grad to receive healing.

It was the 1976 ROA that was the honoring of the country and military as the stage was different (facing the east I think) and that is the same stage that the singers from the Oshkosh, WI WOWs sang at but that does not fit with my memory since those singers in my branch sang at the ROA after their and my WOW home coming in 75.

Needless to say, I am totally confused between those two years.

I will pose the possibility that 74 (my going WOW year) was at Shelby cty fair grounds and the next year (75) was at Lima (Allen cty fair grounds) and 76 was back at Shelby cty.

There is no doubt in my mind that someone will chime in here and clear this up for us.

So, maybe we are still on thread since this is about irony - thank goodness we now have permanent press.

Either way, in vpw's defense on the AC grad healing ordeal, just think: if vpw had gone to the back, he would have been swamped and the AC grads would not have had the opportunity. Just saying.

Was it not at the "healing thing" ROA that Craig.M had his big 1st large stage speaking/teaching opportunity the night before the final night when vpw taught?