GreaseSpot Cafe

Why I have come to hate the internet.

Bluzeman

What has happened to people? The internet has become a breeding ground for hate. Atheists hate Christians, Christians hate Atheists. Conservatives hate liberals and vice-versa. And some people just hate everyone.

On almost every forum, you see nothing but people hiding behind computers and insulting other people. And it’s not only hot button issues. Look at some of the comments on Youtube. A simple non aggressive statement is replied to with an insult about the person’s mother. It’s become very disgusting.

I don’t see this crap in real life. It’s only when someone is hiding behind a computer. And I really don’t care who uses their real name and who doesn’t. MOST of us are not psychos and aren’t going to go find someone to get violent even if we know someone’s real name so don’t even try the “Hey, I use my real name, I’m not hiding”.

We now have a generation of people who thinks it is perfectly acceptable to be rude and nasty to others just because “It’s teh interwebz!!!111!!!!” What kind of decent person would think it’s just fine to insult someone’s mother just because they asked a question? What kind of person thinks it’s fine to insult someone and mock their belief just because they don’t share that belief? We’ve become a nasty society because of the internet and facebook and all that crap.

I pray that some day people will come to their senses and see how wrong all this is. But I’m not holding my breath.

Get Off My Lawn!

Just kidding.

As we age, we become increasingly distanced from the culture of the younger generation. Some of the differences are real, some are a matter of perception.

My own peeve is how people have become increasingly inconsiderate of others. You see it on the highway, the shopping venues, air travel and the list goes on. Some of it is very real and some of it is just my perception. Maybe people have always been rude and I just didn't notice it that much. You can't let it drag you down. You have find a balance that allows you to treat people with the same respect you would expect of them and, yet, don't be so naiive as to think that everyone will follow suit.

The internet certainly brings the immediacy of the issue to the forefront, without a doubt.

Keep your chin up ....and tell your kids to keep their scooters off my lawn.

Two things:

1) if you hate the internet, why are you on it?

2) the medium is inherently limited. It doesn't facilitate discussion, partly because it doesn't permit anyone to read non-verbal communication of the other parties to what otherwise could be a productive discussion.

It's not about people being fundamentally bad. It's the limitations of the medium for communication.

• Upvote 2

One of my favorite quotes ever (and I can't find the person who said it, but I believe it was John Fugelsang)...

"I've been to hell. It's called the comments section."

I've stopped reading them. They make me mad. And I truly believe that the people there represent a minority of all humanity. They are just people who want attention. The same people who were bullies in school and still need the attention now as adults. I just don't pay any attention to them. That would be giving them what they want anyway.

One of my favorite quotes ever (and I can't find the person who said it, but I believe it was John Fugelsang)...

"I've been to hell. It's called the comments section."

I've stopped reading them. They make me mad. And I truly believe that the people there represent a minority of all humanity. They are just people who want attention. The same people who were bullies in school and still need the attention now as adults. I just don't pay any attention to them. That would be giving them what they want anyway.

Well... either that or they are people who just have a lot to say. Sometimes it makes sense, often it doesn't. :)

The only true discussion you can have with a person is to be able to look into their face and see their eyes. And if you or they are physically blind, then the voice says everything.

Yes, it's a generational thing but also seems to encompass the older generations. I had a speech professor in college (Micheal Gilerokos) who stated that one of the best art forms one will ever master is to hold a conversation.

Internet email, texts, etc. are all a means of communication but it (they) is not holding a conversation.

The only true discussion you can have with a person is to be able to look into their face and see their eyes. And if you or they are physically blind, then the voice says everything.

Yes, it's a generational thing but also seems to encompass the older generations. I had a speech professor in college (Micheal Gilerokos) who stated that one of the best art forms one will ever master is to hold a conversation.

Internet email, texts, etc. are all a means of communication but it (they) is not holding a conversation.

Well said! I'm afraid it's becoming a lost art though. Really, it doesn't appear that anyone is actually interested in listening nowadays. It seems anymore that people just want to yell out their opinion. There doesn't seem be a desire to find middle ground anymore. Christians are among the worst offenders.