GreaseSpot Cafe

demerit points

Allan

Hi all fellow GSérs ! I need a little help with a research programme I am doing concerning demerit point systems world wide. These are 'points' taken off your drivers license along with a fine for excessive speed, dangerous driving etc... after accruing a certain amount a persons drivers license will be suspended for a time period. I know some states use this system, just not sure which ones ? thanks in advance !!

Hi all fellow GSérs ! I need a little help with a research programme I am doing concerning demerit point systems world wide. These are 'points' taken off your drivers license along with a fine for excessive speed, dangerous driving etc... after accruing a certain amount a persons drivers license will be suspended for a time period. I know some states use this system, just not sure which ones ? thanks in advance !!

In Arizona, those points are also used to increase premiums for liability insurance.

http://azdot.gov/mvd/driver-services/driver-improvement/points-assessment

Google is a wonderful thing... most of the time. ;)

Nebraska uses a point system. You start with 12 points. You lose points for traffic violations; the number of points vary depending on where they took place (e.g. 4 points for speeding in town, 3 points for speeding on the interstate 1-10mph above the limit). After 2 years your points are added back in.

Thankyou Rocky, Wordwolf, Oakspear, Waysider ! It is a 'business venture' I am looking into as well, I would need an agent in each state, so let me know if you may be on the lookout for something to do !! lol...cash outlay from interested people is a big fat ZERO. My apologies also as you are correct there are only 50 states....yet how weird upon googling how many people even Americans thinking there was 51 or 52...some said they always thought Puerto Rico was a state !

Puerto Rico may very well become a state. Discussions have been ongoing longer than I've

been alive. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth and is a US territory.

Alaska and Hawaii had that status before becoming states.

Its residents are US citizens and the currency is the US dollar.

For more territories, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territories_of_the_United_States

Not quite the same, Allan, but in the UK you don't lose points, you are given them. And if you are awarded 12 points, you get an extra award: disqualification. All offences start at 3 points and some are awarded from 3 to 11 depending on the seriousness of the offence. Points are usually there for a min 3 yrs. There may be other penalties as well (fine, restrictions on driving times, short prison sentences).

There is also "diversion" for minor offences. Typically this is for the person who is caught going just above the speed limit (say 34mph in a 30 zone) but not otherwise doing anything wrong (like being dangerous, swerving around, using a mobile phone etc). The offender has to undertake (at a fee) a 4 hour course and be an active participant. This keeps the driving licence clean, you don't have to tell the insurance company (so no effect on raising premium) and actually does promote better driving behaviour. If you're caught doing the same thing (eg speeding) within three years, you get points for the later offence and how many is based on your failure to learn from the previous course (ie, instead of getting 3 points you might get more.