GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI 73rd anniversary - well!

penworks

My oh my. 73 years. How time flies when you're having ..... fun? Fundamentalism?

http://sidneydailynews.com/news/religion/8561/the-way-international-celebrates-73rd-anniversary

• Upvote 1

My oh my. 73 years. How time flies when you're having ..... fun? Fundamentalism?

http://sidneydailyne...3rd-anniversary

Byline = "Staff Report"

That's because nobody wanted to put their own name on the "article" which was really just a posting of a press release.

Real journalists don't say "Over 1.500 celebrators gathered..." They say, "more than x,xxx number of Way followers celebrated..."

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 1

Byline = "Staff Report"

That's because nobody wanted to put their own name on the "article" which was really just a posting of a press release.

Real journalists don't say "Over 1.500 celebrators gathered..." They say, "more than x,xxx number of Way followers celebrated..."

A casual read shows this is so obviously written by twi and is just a repost or cut-and-paste.

twi's poor grammar shows through in words like "celebrators" for "celebrants",

and their "international countries" phrase has long been amusing

to those who wonder how many countries are within your own borders

and are thus not "international", other than Vatican City.

Of course, nobody from Vatican City attended, nor were they invited.

That's hardly news.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how long my comment will stay up?

Byline = "Staff Report"

Edited by Seth R.

A casual read shows this is so obviously written by twi and is just a repost or cut-and-paste.

twi's poor grammar shows through in words like "celebrators" for "celebrants",

and their "international countries" phrase has long been amusing

to those who wonder how many countries are within your own borders

and are thus not "international", other than Vatican City.

Of course, nobody from Vatican City attended, nor were they invited.

That's hardly news.

Even if celebrants was used, it still would be in passive voice. News stories generally are not written that way... by anyone who has taken any journalism classes, anyway.

I wonder how long my comment will stay up?

I think the correct term is celebrants? I bet the editor didn't even proof read it.

Well, your comment is up right now, but I doubt it will be up there past 8:30 am Ohio time.

• Upvote 1

The accompanying photo would really encourage you in thinking what a vibrant and exciting ministry it is ... not!

Any other church would have a photo of ... waving holy hands; people moving about or dancing; maybe eating (what you do when you celebrate, no?); something that indicated life and vitality.

True there are hands of the audience (can't really call it a congregation) applauding, but the people on stage look as if they were carved from wood, they're so rigid, formal and uninspiring. They look like they're wearing as under-garments the straight-jackets that they want to put "their people" into.

I'm sorry to see that New Zealand is still in Waywarp and has sent out its own group of "Disciples." What fools.

Article should read: Twi celebrates 58th Anniversary.

Wierwille was STILL on St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church [Van Wert] payroll until August 1957.

On page 215 of Mrs. Wierwille's book, Born Again to Serve, is a copy of vpw's resignation letter

on August 7, 1957 that was accepted unanimously by the church consistory.

The Youth Chimes Hour blah-blah in 1942 was wierwille's first strike at deceiving others....he wanted

to add to twi's inception and foundation. To tie the anniversary date to 1957, one could EASILY SEE

that wierwille got his start from a STOLEN CLASS......namely, B.G. Leonard's.

Yeah, maybe 1,500 people gathered on twi's "anniversary" but........35,000 ex-followers are SO THANKFUL

to have cut ties with that corrupt and deceiving organization.

• Upvote 1

Good morning.

Last night I wrote my response to the report on this event. This morning it was sent to my website subscribers at 9:00 am.

You can read it at: The Way celebrates 73 anniversary of ... ?

Cheers,

Pen

I never understood what all this hoopla about anniversaries had to do with God's Word anyway.

Nothing.

But hypocrisy has a long, proud history with twi, beginning with its founder.

We were supposed to not count our families- but vpw had a huge deal made of

his own family tree (the dead members, not counting the live twi ones),

and if twi announced something was suddenly significant, then it was.

Skyrider, just curious about the number, 35,000, who left ... I would like to use that figure.

Can you give me a source?

Edited by penworks

Skyrider, just curious about the number, 35,000, who left ... I would like to use that figure.

Can you give me a source?

Penworks.....at the 1984 roa, the number in attendance was 24,000 (thereabouts, +/-)

and those in the Trunk Dept. estimated that 80% of faithful followers made the trek

to Ohio. Thus, in 1984......that figured to be approximately 30,000 going to twigs.

For good measure.....and generously, I added another 3,000 (1984-1987)

before things really went south. And, then....(generously) adding 3,000

(who came thru the doors these last 25 years, 1990-2015, and many of them

also exiting) it seems fair to estimate the difference ie = total 35,000

who are NO LONGER associated with twi.

No exact figures.......but I would bet good money that it's a good estimate.

Besides, since when have we EVER heard any solid numbers from twi's "public

relations" department. lol

Edited by skyrider

When I left the U.S. trunk there were 32,000 "active" wayfers in the USA. That's the highest it ever got, and that's only as reliable as the info that came up through the limbs. That was August, 1984. That was the highest it ever got. So, I think Skyrider's estimates are right in the ballpark.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.

I probably missed this info somewhere, but about how many might be on staff these days at HQ?

Cheers,

Penworks

Seth,

I read your comment under the article on the newspaper's site.

I was sorry to read it.

You said, "I absolutely hate those people, if they all died today I wouldn't shed a tear."

When we say we hate people, it does not help our efforts here at GSC in raising awareness of TWI but I realize you were only speaking for yourself.

IMO, hatefulness might be what TWI leaders are/were about. But it is not what I am about. And I don't think most greasespotters are into keeping hate in their hearts for anyone. But maybe I am wrong. I think hate breeds hate. We may not love TWI leaders who abused us and others, but hate is pretty strong stuff ... I shy away from it. But that's just me ...

Edited by penworks
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

NEW KNOXVILLE — This year marks the 73rd anniversary of The Way International biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry.

A celebration was held on Sunday, Oct. 4, at The Way International Headquarters, located in New Knoxville. Guests joined the Rev. Rosalie F. Rivenbark, chairman of the board and president of The Way International, and other members of the Board of Directors, senior officers, trustee household, staff, and in-residence Way Corps for the teaching service in the Victor Paul Wierwille Prevailing Word Auditorium.

Over 1,500 celebrators gathered from 202 cities in the United States, Canada, Chile and Ecuador. Others listened in via teleconference from meeting locations around the world, including 26 international countries representing six continents, from as far away as Japan and New Zealand.

The theme for the new ministry year, “Living God’s Love,” was noted, illustrated and emphasized throughout the celebration. A teaching keying from the new ministry theme was presented by the Rev. Jean-Yves De Lisle.

Way Disciple Outreach Group XXII was highlighted in the service. The Way Disciple program is a ministry outreach program designed to enhance a biblically disciplined lifestyle in its participants, who in turn share the quality of life and truth they learn with others. The Way Disciples of Outreach Group XXII were commissioned from The Way International Headquarters to locations in the United States and Canada. Another team of Way Disciples was commissioned in New Zealand, where an anniversary celebration was also held.

At the close of the teaching service, those in attendance were invited to an anniversary reception for fellowship and refreshments. Congratulations by family and friends were extended to the Way Disciples of Outreach Group XXII.

The irony of this is hilarious. All those years twi was a fledgling "cult". Couldn't get anyone to take them seriously. Now they get all this respect. Terry Bradshaw's pick of the week. We at GSC have no use for them, but their community isn't scared of them anymore. No longer the big bad cult. lol

quote:

NEW KNOXVILLE — This year marks the 73rd anniversary of The Way International biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry.

A celebration was held on Sunday, Oct. 4, at The Way International Headquarters, located in New Knoxville. Guests joined the Rev. Rosalie F. Rivenbark, chairman of the board and president of The Way International, and other members of the Board of Directors, senior officers, trustee household, staff, and in-residence Way Corps for the teaching service in the Victor Paul Wierwille Prevailing Word Auditorium.

Over 1,500 celebrators gathered from 202 cities in the United States, Canada, Chile and Ecuador. Others listened in via teleconference from meeting locations around the world, including 26 international countries representing six continents, from as far away as Japan and New Zealand.

The theme for the new ministry year, "Living God's Love," was noted, illustrated and emphasized throughout the celebration. A teaching keying from the new ministry theme was presented by the Rev. Jean-Yves De Lisle.

Way Disciple Outreach Group XXII was highlighted in the service. The Way Disciple program is a ministry outreach program designed to enhance a biblically disciplined lifestyle in its participants, who in turn share the quality of life and truth they learn with others. The Way Disciples of Outreach Group XXII were commissioned from The Way International Headquarters to locations in the United States and Canada. Another team of Way Disciples was commissioned in New Zealand, where an anniversary celebration was also held.

At the close of the teaching service, those in attendance were invited to an anniversary reception for fellowship and refreshments. Congratulations by family and friends were extended to the Way Disciples of Outreach Group XXII.

The irony of this is hilarious. All those years twi was a fledgling "cult". Couldn't get anyone to take them seriously. Now they get all this respect. Terry Bradshaw's pick of the week. We at GSC have no use for them, but their community isn't scared of them anymore. No longer the big bad cult. lol

Twi spends money. It helps the local economy. Business leaders have a way of overlooking the imperfections of any institution that provides any degree of economic stimulus. It is not a validation of whether or not twi spiritually abuses its followers.

Allan, not "sent to" NZ - commissioned in NZ. There have been WoW teams over several years now. God bless and protect the poor fools.

No idea what your fave country coord is up to these days. Special training for the WoWs, perhaps :(