GreaseSpot Cafe

Wierwille and the Pauline Epistles

skyrider

Outstanding post, Sunesis!

I've studied the Holy Spirit in Paul for a long time, and am still in the process, but the things I've been reading have made me curious about the similarities and differences between the Holy Spirit in Paul and the Holy Spirit in John.

Your post seems to have opened some kind of window for me as to understanding the Holy Spirit in John. Thanks!

To even think that there might be differences between the Holy Spirit in Paul and the Holy Spirit in John would be anathema in TWI, much less that we could learn things by examining those differences!

Love,

Steve

I don't believe VP knew Christ. If he did not know Him, how could he possibly have taught him to others? He didn't. Christ was glossed over. He was reduced to an incantation at the end of a prayer. TWI was always about God and the Bible. God's heart - Christ - was missing. I have often thought over the years, the biggest disservice done to people who wanted to know God, who came to TWI, was that they were not taught who truly Christ is. I remember during my time in TWI hearing other Christians, not in TWI, talk about their relationship with Christ. I always wondered - what are they talking about? What am I missing? When I left TWI, the very first thing God taught me was who Christ is. I mulled over this idea, this strange thought for months. I had put my Bible down and also hadn't read it in months. One rainy day, in my little studio apartment on E. 95th Street in Manhattan I read the Gospel of John - fireworks went off in my mind - Oh, I see... I have heard, but now I see. Now, I understand when people talk about their relationship with Christ. He is God's heart, he is the mediator between God and Man. We had God, we had the "Word," but we didn't have the Heart - Christ.

Oh Sunesis, I so hear you. I'm still wrestling with this myself. I have a "God-concept" but not really a "Jesus concept" or "Christ concept" and wonder about this "relationship with Christ."

I have a relationship, sure, but not as fully as some appear to have. It's more like having a relative that you see occasionally (or rarely) - you know they're there and where they fit in your life (like your uncle in another city, say) but the closeness that you might see between siblings or cousins or people who have grown up together and know each other well ... isn't there.

Not sure what to do about that.

I have often thought over the years, the biggest disservice done to people who wanted to know God, who came to TWI, was that they were not taught who truly Christ is.

I'm mostly inclined to agree with this, but not for the same reasons or from the same perspective.

I remember during my time in TWI hearing other Christians, not in TWI, talk about their relationship with Christ.

I always wondered - what are they talking about? What am I missing?

Even back then, it appeared saying or hearing that it was Christ in you was often far removed from actually believing that it is Christ in you.

When I left TWI, the very first thing God taught me was who Christ is.

It was long after graduating the corps when the reality of Christ's presence took on much more significant meaning.

(But for quite different reasons that it appears it might have been for you.)

Many people can know the Bible, preach it and yet still not believe it, not really.

Yup.

It is the Holy Spirit, the Breath of God, dwelling in us,

The living Christ, as I see it.

VP focused on Paul.

It's not what I recall (at least, it's not how I saw it.) Maybe it's somewhat a matter of semantics. But, I'm also thinking of 1Cor.11:1. Paul was Paul. And I don't believe there will ever be anyone that honestly can (or should ever be) compared to him. Following him is one thing. But putting yourself in place of him (or allowing or encouraging anyone else to put you in that place) is quite another. And anybody that thinks they can or should be... well then, there's a problem brewing.

Perhaps if we really understood and followed more of what Paul (who clearly knew and had a personal relationship with the ascended Christ) taught, rather than having been so gung ho and committed to building a ministry structuring itself akin to the church of James and the apostles that were in Jerusalem, there wouldn't have been anything to become so distracted with or that would "fall apart."

Edited by TLC

It seems as we all age, its not that we learn "new" things to satisfy itching ears, but I think that I see and understand what I know much deeper.

There's a wonderful "old school" writer named Arthur Pink I discovered a few years ago. His book on the Holy Spirit is one of the best I've ever read - really opened my eyes about what the Holy Spirit does in the world and in our hearts. I got it on Amazon, you might enjoy it.

Thank you for your kind words everyone. It has been a few years since I've been here and I'm glad to see you all :)

Are you better now? I'm sorry you thought I was dissing Paul when it was victor paul I was dissing. Kinda makes the point. Hope you don't get sick again now.

It wasn't you alone that I viewed as dissing Paul, it was the entire first post (which seemed to stem from your post elsewhere) and the direction the thread appeared to be headed towards. While I don't believe that VP (or Bullinger, for that matter) had it right, I also don't believe that reformation or expansion theology (which Arthur Pink appear to fit with) has it right.

Edited by TLC

It wasn't you alone that I viewed as dissing Paul, it was the entire first post (which seemed to stem from your post elsewhere) and the direction the thread appeared to be headed towards. While I don't believe that VP (or Bullinger, for that matter) had it right, I also don't believe that reformation or expansion theology (which Arthur Pink appear to fit with) has it right.

Well......since "the entire first post" is my doing, it looks like I'd better step in

and respond to this.

Thanks for being candid, TLC:

1) You don't believe that VP had it right

2) You don't believe that Bullinger had it right

3) You don't believe that reformation theology has it right

4) You don't believe that expansion theology [ie Arthur Pink] has it right

Got it.

Wierwille spent the vast majority of his teachings, pamphlets, retemories, plagiarized books, etc.

in the Pauline epistles. He heavily emphasized dispensationalism, wherein the four gospels were

"Old Testament...for your learning" in pfal and emphasized it to his grave. Oh, sure....he gave

lip-service to Jesus and the anointed Christ, but anyone who sat it hundreds of his teachings and

corps/staff meetings knows the thrust of his core beliefs.

Heck, if this were the doctrinal forum.....we could delve into I Cor. 1_12-30 and SHOW

that the apostle Paul had the SAME PROBLEMS in the early churches.....ie followers wanting to be

"of Paul" or "of Apollos" or "of Cephas." Yet, even Paul directs them to Christ Jesus.

Sure, you might say....."that's what wierwille did."

But many of us are saying......NO, he didn't.

I leave you with Rev. Oral Robert's teaching (below).

Why was wierwille STILL plagiarizing from other ministers

[1978] four years before he retired? [1982] He didn't know Jesus,

the Christ, the son of the Living God.

Rev. Oral Roberts' teaching on "The Fourth Man" schooled wierwille

on the full exhaustive, expansive and exalted Jesus Christ.

In Genesis, he is.........The seed of the woman

In Exodus, he is..........The Passover lamb

In Leviticus, he is.......Our High Priest

In Numbers, he is.........Pillar of Cloud by Day, Pillar of Fire by Night

In Deuteronomy, he is.....The Prophet like unto Moses

In Joshua, he is..........The Captain of our salvation

In Judges, he is..........The Lawgiver

In Ruth, he is............Our Kinsmen Redeemer

.............<snip>

In Revelation, he is......The King of kings and Lord of lords

• Upvote 1

Thanks for being candid, TLC:

1) You don't believe that VP had it right

2) You don't believe that Bullinger had it right

3) You don't believe that reformation theology has it right

4) You don't believe that expansion theology [ie Arthur Pink] has it right

Got it.

Unless I'm mistaken, reformation theology and expansion theology refer to one and the same thing. (Some calling it one, some calling it the other.) I think it might also be called unity theology. There's something else called replacement theology that I avoided using, as that term seems to be more egregious to some, who claim it's merely straw to be blown down. But, most people follow after one form or another of one of these theologies, whether they either know it or admit it.

Wierwille spent the vast majority of his teachings, pamphlets, retemories, plagiarized books, etc.

in the Pauline epistles. He heavily emphasized dispensationalism, wherein the four gospels were

"Old Testament...for your learning" in pfal and emphasized it to his grave. Oh, sure....he gave

lip-service to Jesus and the anointed Christ, but anyone who sat it hundreds of his teachings and

corps/staff meetings knows the thrust of his core beliefs.

Heck, if this were the doctrinal forum.....we could delve into I Cor. 1_12-30 and SHOW

that the apostle Paul had the SAME PROBLEMS in the early churches.....ie followers wanting to be

"of Paul" or "of Apollos" or "of Cephas." Yet, even Paul directs them to Christ Jesus.

Sure, you might say....."that's what wierwille did."

But many of us are saying......NO, he didn't.

Yeah, maybe I lost sight of primary goal of the thread, to punk wierwille.

Where was I, thinkin' more 'bout what sound doctrine is or might or should be?

But then, how do you honestly assess or measure how much twi's teachings and doctrine skewed the very essence of Christianity, if the very essence of Christianity is never set forth right in the first place?

Edited by TLC
  • Upvote 1

I'll add one thing more to this.

I don't think anybody has ever had it (i.e., Christianity) exactly right since the apostle Paul. Maybe in certain respects he wasn't perfect either. But in doctrine? Of necessity, that man had it goin' on. Even Peter eventually admitted that.

And it seems rather likely that no man will ever again attain the magnitude of understanding that Paul did. Which is probably a good thing, human nature being what it is and the strong tendency to follow after and brown nose or cling to the charismatic shadow of some other man. Instead, pockets of truth seems to be found in bits and pieces across the board, with no one person having it all, and no power or force so great that it is able to prevent more and more of it from surfacing.

. . .

But then, how do you honestly assess or measure how much twi's teachings and doctrine skewed the very essence of Christianity, if the very essence of Christianity is never set forth right in the first place?

A lot of people put a lot of trust in Victor Paul Wierwille, and he betrayed them. I don't know how much farther it goes than that.

I'll add one thing more to this.

I don't think anybody has ever had it (i.e., Christianity) exactly right since the apostle Paul. Maybe in certain respects he wasn't perfect either. But in doctrine? Of necessity, that man had it goin' on. Even Peter eventually admitted that.

And it seems rather likely that no man will ever again attain the magnitude of understanding that Paul did. Which is probably a good thing, human nature being what it is and the strong tendency to follow after and brown nose or cling to the charismatic shadow of some other man. Instead, pockets of truth seems to be found in bits and pieces across the board, with no one person having it all, and no power or force so great that it is able to prevent more and more of it from surfacing.

And perhaps that's one of the reasons we are as Crhistians encouraged to meet together. So that we can learn from the "pockets of truth" that others have; so that we can see how God is at work in someone else or in some situation; to help us get a bigger picture.

Spend enough time with Christians from other denominations or backgrounds, and you'll see common threads in how they feel God talks to them or shows them things, or works in situations.

God is bigger than one person, one book, one denomination, one culture.

It might not be a bad idea to think about your neighbor, the person next to you in the pew, the colleague at the next desk - and think (with meekness), how does God work in this person's life, and how can I learn from him? This person has Christ in her (the hope of glory); how does that "Christ" serve the world in her life?

The primary goal of this thread was to point out the blatant error and premise of wierwille's ministry.

When you state that you "don't believe VP had it right"......is that **to punk wierwille** also??

If one holds to account that scripture is "God-breathed" and is profitable for instruction in righteousness,

then that should be the focal point not "of Paul" or "of Cephas" or "of Wierwille."

Throughout the Greasespot Café you will find posters who no longer hold to the "of Wierwille" doctrine

or theology......we've moved on. And some, I might add.....have HEEDED the essence of the apostle Paul's

epistle to the Corinthians. So contrary to "dissing Paul".....we've embraced his words to the early church

to not "follow after the flesh" [wierwille], but in that which is noble, mighty, wise and glorious.

The very essence of Christianity IS set forth.

In. The. Scriptures.

Wierwille's ministry is an OFFSHOOT of Rev. B.G. Leonard.

Why do people think that wierwille had the "original" on anything?

• Upvote 1

...snip...

It might not be a bad idea to think about your neighbor, the person next to you in the pew, the colleague at the next desk - and think (with meekness), how does God work in this person's life, and how can I learn from him? This person has Christ in her (the hope of glory); how does that "Christ" serve the world in her life?

Nearly a year ago I was in critical care in the hospital with pneumonia. An amazing thing I observed while there was that every single person, from the top doctors to the people who were delivering my meals and taking out my trash, exhibited an un-self-conscious heart of service. I think the Lord was showing me that in serving me, they were serving him, because at that time, I was certainly the least of his brothers.

And their hearts of service were of far more importance than any quibbles of "doctrine" that I might have had with them. We often neglect that praxis is more important than doctrine.

We were incredibly arrogant in TWI. It was only because of God's mercy that he didn't strike us all dead...

Love,

Steve

• Upvote 1

And perhaps that's one of the reasons we are as Crhistians encouraged to meet together. So that we can learn from the "pockets of truth" that others have; so that we can see how God is at work in someone else or in some situation; to help us get a bigger picture.

Spend enough time with Christians from other denominations or backgrounds, and you'll see common threads in how they feel God talks to them or shows them things, or works in situations.

God is bigger than one person, one book, one denomination, one culture.

Well said. Thank you.

It makes no sense whatsoever to live in isolation or in ignorance to what is happening around us.

(And the communal situation at HQ was no small issue.)

We often neglect that praxis is more important than doctrine.

We were incredibly arrogant in TWI.

Right on both points.

And their hearts of service were of far more importance than any quibbles of "doctrine".....

Yeah......ain't that the truth.

Having grown up in a small-town farming community, with helpful neighbors.....NO ONE quibbles

about "doctrine." Sheeesh. This whole actions speak louder than words AND, most

definitely walking by holy spirit........is why the big-wigs at twi are so plastic, not

genuine.

Teach, pontificate, teach......repeat.

• Upvote 1