GreaseSpot Cafe

You don't need drugs to have a good time in The Word.

Bolshevik

Mrs. Owen wrote in "Just the Way It Was" (I think that's the name, I tossed my copy out years ago) about how VPW never allowed drugs among the hippies. This was mentioned a couple times I remember. I found the emphasis on that point odd. Maybe it begged the question.

So . . . . . . did drugs help move The Word?

Mrs. Owen wrote in "Just the Way It Was" (I think that's the name, I tossed my copy out years ago) about how VPW never allowed drugs among the hippies. This was mentioned a couple times I remember. I found the emphasis on that point odd. Maybe it begged the question.

Drugs were strictly forbidden in FellowLaborers. (mid 1970's) We couldn't even have any type of alcohol, including beer, in our "houses". On a more localized level, the buzz was that any type of drug could open some sort of trap door, allowing devil spirits to enter your mind. No one wanted to be associated with that, of course. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone comments on how The Way helped them wean themself from the drug culture. Does that answer your question?

Edited by waysider

Drugs were strictly forbidden in FellowLaborers. (mid 1970's) We couldn't even have any type of alcohol, including beer, in our "houses". On a more localized level, the buzz was that any type of drug could open some sort of trap door, allowing devil spirits to enter your mind. No one wanted to be associated with that, of course. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone comments on how The Way helped them wean themself from the drug culture. Does that answer your question?

Don't know yet. From what I've read drugs were more prevalent in the culture in those days, and an influence for cults. What you've said is consistent with my experience, decades later. (I was brought before leadership by my own parents, I had tried nicotine *gasp*. Parental units were very concerned about the devil spirits. Leadership had to assure them that nicotine wouldn't open the door to devil spirits).

Don't know yet. From what I've read drugs were more prevalent in the culture in those days, and an influence for cults. What you've said is consistent with my experience, decades later. (I was brought before leadership by my own parents, I had tried nicotine *gasp*. Parental units were very concerned about the devil spirits. Leadership had to assure them that nicotine wouldn't open the door to devil spirits).

Good grief.

There were LOTS of wayfers who used tobacco when I was still involved. A big deal was also made about a two drink limit regarding alcohol. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

However, when we examine the outreach areas where VPee's influence started growing -- Rye, NY and San Francisco in the last 1960s/70s, I'm confident you'll find a much more relaxed attitude.

Marijuana, btw, has been shown since then to be much safer than alcohol.

For whatever reason, most people in that era (not just Way people) didn't equate tobacco with drugs, even though it is clearly a drug. Smoking was very, very common among the Way followers. Breaks during PFAL classes were typified a by mass exodus to the outdoors to grab a quick smoke. (followed by a cup of stretched coffee, served in a reused styrofoam cup)

. . .

However, when we examine the outreach areas where VPee's influence started growing -- Rye, NY and San Francisco in the last 1960s/70s, I'm confident you'll find a much more relaxed attitude.

Is this where "the hippies" came from? Was drug use (among "followers") an aid at all to VPW's launching of The Way.

Marijuana, btw, has been shown since then to be much safer than alcohol.

I wouldn't argue that with the judge ;)/>/>

quote: I wouldn't be surprised if someone comments on how The Way helped them wean themself from the drug culture.

I've posted that before. And it's true. But my first twig did drugs. Less than 1 minute after the last amen somebody was rolling joints on a monopoly board. But the other way people in our town were not down with that. Every time I used drugs while in twi I had to hide it from leadership.

Is this where "the hippies" came from? Was drug use (among "followers") an aid at all to VPW's launching of The Way.

I can only answer for the area I came from, which is Cleveland, in the early 1970's. It wasn't unusual to have 150-200 people show up to the Sunday night branch meeting so I would say we were a pretty good sized, representative branch. Not all of those people were regular twig attendees so you can downplay the numbers somewhat. Lots and lots of hippy types, including myself. Drug use was not at all prevalent though I'm sure it must have existed to some degree. I would have to say that drug use was not a contributing factor to the growth of the Cleveland area. If anything, I think some folks were burned out on the drug culture and saw The Way as an alternative.

Yes and no. The *word* was very much another drug. Maybe the drug moved itself..