GreaseSpot Cafe

The Internet (anti-way sites) disarmed me

skyrider

I don't really remember directing any wayfers. Honestly, I remember trying really hard not to. I always felt they gave too much weight to my opinion for the simple reason of a leadership title. Was usually encouraging them to make their own choices and own them.

. . .

Kids were often put on twig teaching rotations . . . and yeah later Way D . . . I never understood Way 'dogma' very well so I usually resorted to making stuff up. Having observed adults for so long imitating was natural. No, the first time it donned on me that I just sat there and made stuff up and the whole room was happy and excited made me upset. But I know other kids would joke about imitating the grown-ups like that (I think that imitation is natural).

Making stuff up:

VPW was fond of doing that. Like the now famous blizzard story. Back then, it was easy to fool us with this stuff. Now, with the internet at our fingertips, you can actually look up all sorts of wacky facts like, you know..... weather reports.

Kids were often put on twig teaching rotations . . . and yeah later Way D . . . I never understood Way 'dogma' very well so I usually resorted to making stuff up. Having observed adults for so long imitating was natural. No, the first time it donned on me that I just sat there and made stuff up and the whole room was happy and excited made me upset. But I know other kids would joke about imitating the grown-ups like that (I think that imitation is natural).

Ah, I see. Felt that way about speaking in tongues, interpretation and prophecy.

Making stuff up:

VPW was fond of doing that. Like the now famous blizzard story. Back then, it was easy to fool us with this stuff. Now, with the internet at our fingertips, you can actually look up all sorts of wacky facts like, you know..... weather reports.

NOT what I'm referring to. This was mad lib, like shortfuse said, like speaking in tongues.

Also, everyone could verify any information by simply opening a bible, a blue book, those other . . . . books, cyllabi, etc. That's how I learned what I said was false. I opened a book.

Followers of The Way do not feed on facts. And this was not with intent to mislead.

From what I gather, Bolshevik, you have family in and family out. When we left, we didn't leave anyone. Walking away from family HAS to be hard. Also, if you are local to NK, then you are going to get the same raised eyebrows that people in Rome City and Emporia got when they went out and about. It HAS to be hard on kids. Especially those whose parents were sold out on the whole thing.

The thing is that the whole cult thing was no secret to anyone but the people actually in. The dirt was out there. Heck, my sister told me stuff in the early 80s. I didn't believe her as she was prone to exaggeration, but her stories did pan out.

I'm sorry for your pain and suffering.

NOT what I'm referring to. This was mad lib, like shortfuse said, like speaking in tongues.

Also, everyone could verify any information by simply opening a bible, a blue book, those other . . . . books, cyllabi, etc. That's how I learned what I said was false. I opened a book.

Followers of The Way do not feed on facts. And this was not with intent to mislead.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I think I know what you are talking about, though, especially when it comes to the *manifestations*. In a way, it reminds me of a Peter Sellers film called Being There. In the film, the main character is mentally challenged but very articulate though no one is aware of his true nature. People mistake his simplistic answers as being profound and allegorical because they think he speaks with authority and appears to have credibility.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

From what I gather, Bolshevik, you have family in and family out. When we left, we didn't leave anyone. Walking away from family HAS to be hard. Also, if you are local to NK, then you are going to get the same raised eyebrows that people in Rome City and Emporia got when they went out and about. It HAS to be hard on kids. Especially those whose parents were sold out on the whole thing.

The thing is that the whole cult thing was no secret to anyone but the people actually in. The dirt was out there. Heck, my sister told me stuff in the early 80s. I didn't believe her as she was prone to exaggeration, but her stories did pan out.

I'm sorry for your pain and suffering.

I think my original point was . . . I did not live in those areas . . . I moved away from home hoping to start anew.

The Internet made it like I was in those types of areas . . . particularly, I was not expecting such a thing.

The internet was a mixed bag. The internet was no hero. It upset me personally, yes.

"the thing is that the whole cult thing was no secret to anyone but the people actually in" . . . truth.

I do not see how The Way was really that affected by the internet. 10-15 years ago, they wanted to make sure everyone at HQ had access. Unless there's some scheme behind that too.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I think I know what you are talking about, though, especially when it comes to the *manifestations*. In a way, it reminds me of a Peter Sellers film called Being There. In the film, the main character is mentally challenged but very articulate though no one is aware of his true nature. People mistake his simplistic answers as being profound and allegorical because they think he speaks with authority and appears to have credibility.

:biglaugh:

Prolly something like that . . .

My guess is that TWI in NK remains largely unaffected by the Internet due to its denial factor and the effect perceived "persecution" has on the drama bonding thing. I was NEVER able to speak sense to the people who were sold out. Generally speaking, it took a former totally sold out person to convince the sold out. I was never that convinced.

• 2 weeks later...