GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the IQ of an apple?

hi WordWolf, waysider, and Mark Sanguinetti

Columbus and the Flat Earth Myth

Oct 12, 2009 by Gary DeMar

Each October, Christopher Columbus is hammered for his voyages of exploitation of native peoples, and Christians are ridiculed for once opposing the forward thinking Columbus and his rejection of the flat earth mythology held by the medieval church. Is any of it true? I’ll leave the question of exploitation to be answered by others, but the flat earth issue is easily answered. In the eleven-volume Our Wonder World, first published in 1914, the editors offered the following undocumented claims: “All the ancient peoples thought the earth was flat, or, if not perfectly flat, a great slightly curving surface,” and “Columbus was trying to convince people that the earth was round."

Even the Encyclopedia Britannica perpetuated the myth of a round-earth solution for Columbus’s voyages as late as 1961: “Before Columbus proved the world was round, people thought the horizon marked its edge. Today we know better.” The people knew better in Columbus’s day. A 1983 textbook for fifth-graders reported that Columbus “felt he would eventually reach the Indies in the East. Many Europeans still believed that the world was flat. Columbus, they thought, would fall off the earth.”[2] A 1982 text for eighth-graders said that Europeans “believed . . . that a ship could sail out to sea just so far before it fell off the edge of the sea. . . . The people of Europe a thousand years ago knew little about the world.”

Some parts of world believe it was flat was flat in 1960

That's not what it said.

That said-and some of us know this from lots of places-

that people were wrongly taught-as children, in school, and on television, and in books-

that people of Columbus' time thought the world was flat.

(It's possible that some uneducated peasants who didn't work at sea thought that,

but educated people and people who worked on ships knew better,

either by correct education, or by the evidence at sea.)

So, some people, in 1960 and even today, think that the common folks,

and the sailors, and the educated/nobility of Columbus' time thought the Earth was flat.

They did not. Back in the days of the Greek Empire, there was even someone who used

mathematics to calculate almost precisely the circumference of the Earth, (Eratosthenes)

that is, how far around the Earth's surface is.

I believe dust has a brain too

I have not the right to believe as I believe please tell me?

I am smarter than all of in some things but in way you are than me

We all our strong points and we all weak points in our life

love Roy

You are free to believe whatever you wish.

When you bring those beliefs into discussion, however, you run the risk

of having people challenge or refute those beliefs, or call for you to support

them with some evidence. If you don't want to get into that type of discussion,

you might not want to introduce those ideas into conversations of one type or another.

I leave a lot of my beliefs at the door, even ones I can support very well,

just because I feel no need to "get into it" about them all the time.

I'm sure other posters do the same.

So, you're free to believe what you want, or post what you want, but others are

free to post what they want also, so don't be surprised if your posts are

challenged or refuted.

God in my heart first

Which way does a cult think?

01\21\2016

As I think about how someone in a cult thinks I can only think about the time I was part of the Way Ministry of New Knoxville Ohio. How rude I must seem those days when I try to prove what wrong with their belief but if I only know later I would be put in the wrong for my beliefs. I came to the real belief that no one can prove anything is wrong because a belief is in the heart of the person.

One would have to be a fool to even try while you change some people belief on some points but you cannot force them to belief your way. One can give good logic but that does mean that person will hear it because proof can be find on the internet to prove anything. Otherwise if you want to prove people have green skin you could prove it on the internet because some kind of illness may turn the skin green I just do not know.

Now I not saying not to try give a try because they have thought it though to the point you have but you try the reason over and over stop. Because you do not want them to think you are the you are pushing your belief on them otherwise hold your once maybe twice but not three times say thank you and leave the talk about the one subject.

You do not want to be the rude person that seems to be mad because everyone has a right their beliefs or their opinion. Opinions and beliefs mean the same thing and it a well known fact that everyone has one just like assholes we all have one. I wrote this to help me and with hopes it might help someone other than me but it does not at least it help me.

thank you Roy

I delete my sign on cult you evil cafe

I hope he at least sees that trees would have a difficult time moving and walking. doh.gif

Mark, I'm disappointed in you. Doncha know that trees can walk? They're called Ents. If they stay still for long (years) they become rooted. They can fight, too.

• Upvote 1

The Rocky Mountains have had a lot more-but stone doesn't think.

The rocks would be more bored- if either had the capacity to think.

Rocks and plants can't think, so they can't be bored.

Now WordWolf... How do you know dem dere rocks ain't alive? And if dey's alive dey can t'ink. Dey just t'ink at a much slower rate cos dey live at a slower rate.

If we're not going to get to some point where this discussion is Doctrinal, this thread will be moved.

Just plain silly, anyone?

Mark, I'm disappointed in you. Doncha know that trees can walk? They're called Ents. If they stay still for long (years) they become rooted. They can fight, too.

WOW Twinky, it looks like you found some really smart trees as seen in that YouTube video. :eusa_clap: And trees that look like they can even walk. :dance:

And if this thread gets moved. I wonder where it will be moved to? Humor, In the Kitchen, Open, Soap Opera???? But perhaps Humor if we can get people to giggle enough. :biglaugh:

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

God belief

Can a tree walk from place to place?

01-24-2016

The question is can a tree walk from place to place? Most people would say no but they never heard about the peculiar carnivorous Venus flytrap plant which can take unplantlike behavior otherwise these tree can wandering around your back yard. The root system has smaller roots that like legs placing the tree a few feet off the ground giving it the appearance it is walking.

Now you can read more about under “liveScience” about “can Walking Palm Tree’s Really Walk” or https://www.facebook.com/events/1581202232136828/ “Trees that walk” or the BBC under “Trees that can walk up to 20m per year” Why there so must about this tree if it does not walk and will all trees learn to walk if something changes.

Otherwise if the trees are walking to get food is that some prove that they can think for themselves and this only a beginning to this. They will do what it takes to survived will they change their root like the peculiar carnivorous Venus flytrap plant has? The questions add up when thinking about what will need to change to survived in this new world we are making today.

thank you Roy

You all are so hateful I see no need

you banned me to many days because of my belief

you are like the Way ministry that wanted worship with obey them give your money to them otherwise you cannot control my beliefs

this is my last post ever you fools wake before its to late

"You all are so hateful I see no need

you banned me to many days because of my belief

you are like the Way ministry that wanted worship with obey them give your money to them otherwise you cannot control my beliefs"

I don't think I've been hateful, Roy.

You asked if an apple can have an IQ. I tried to answer you in a logical way. My conclusion, after giving it some thought, is that an apple can not have an IQ. You insisted I must be wrong but offered no solid proof to refute what I had presented.

I have no desire to ban you. I don't want you to worship or obey me or give me your money. Most of all, I would not want to control your beliefs. If you want to believe an apple can have an IQ, so be it. I'll continue to believe it can not. Life will go on.

wayside you attacked my belief just the Way Ministry did years ago

in saying my logic is flawed which a attacked on my belief system

Why do some plants walk?

Why do plants breath?

Why do plants drink water?

the list could go on and on

in our brains we choice to breath, walk, drink, eat without even thinking about it because been doing all of life

But without our lungs we could not breath and without our brain to tell us to breath and list is endless

"Roy

I hate to say this, but you're relying onC logic. There is a specific type of flawed logic that describes such a scenario. You can find more information about it HERE. Frankly, this seems a bit out of character for you. We have had many conversations in the past and I've never seen this side of you.

Failure to prove something is false does not make it true. Likewise, failure to prove something is true does not make it false. In this case, there is an abundance of information that clearly proves that plants do not have anything resembling what we call consciousness. We have no proof, whatsoever, to suggest that plants do have consciousness. The logical conclusion is that plants have no consciousness. As I stated before, you can believe otherwise if you wish. It really won't affect me at all. The burden of proof, however, shifts to you to show some logical basis for your belief that will prove your assertion."

wayside you attacked my belief just the Way Ministry did years ago

in saying my logic is flawed which a attacked on my belief system

Why do some plants walk?

Why do plants breath?

Why do plants drink water?

the list could go on and on

in our brains we choice to breath, walk, drink, eat without even thinking about it because been doing all of life

But without our lungs we could not breath and without our brain to tell us to breath and list is endless

"Roy

I hate to say this, but you're relying on flawed logic. There is a specific type of flawed logic that describes such a scenario. You can find more information about it HERE. Frankly, this seems a bit out of character for you. We have had many conversations in the past and I've never seen this side of you.

Failure to prove something is false does not make it true. Likewise, failure to prove something is true does not make it false. In this case, there is an abundance of information that clearly proves that plants do not have anything resembling what we call consciousness. We have no proof, whatsoever, to suggest that plants do have consciousness. The logical conclusion is that plants have no consciousness. As I stated before, you can believe otherwise if you wish. It really won't affect me at all. The burden of proof, however, shifts to you to show some logical basis for your belief that will prove your assertion."

Respectfully, I disagree with your assessment. I doubt you would have ever had this sort of discussion in The Way. In The Way it was always, "The Word says such and such. Take it or leave it." I'm not arguing with you personally. I'm not even arguing with your beliefs. What I'm calling into question is your methodology and conclusions. That's how discussions work. I offer evidence that supports my position, you offer evidence that supports your position. Sometimes one position outweighs the other. Sometimes we meet in the middle.

Maybe I could have presented my position in a way that seems less mean. I don't know. Next time I'll try harder to listen more closely.

Can we smoke a peace pipe or something now?

Edited by waysider