GreaseSpot Cafe

Help Needed for TWI Research Paper

IMF777

IMF77, I think the first time I heard the comments about Christianity/the Way it was along the lines of how the vast majority of Christian denominations and churches weren't really Christian at all because they typically taught JC was God, had no "accuracy" of the Word and didn't manifest tongues, so there was no proof anyway. From VPW's teaching standpoint, calling the Way a "Christian" ministry grated on him because of people's preconceptions and he didn't like the Way being put in the same breath with them. After all, he'd "chucked the whole thing".

It would be a stretch IMO to say that he didn't consider the Way Ministry a Christian group, rather he felt the Way was the only REAL Christian group.

His books and classes pretty much use the term with that subtext, remembering that as a genric reference it's what everybody else calls it so it's practical, but the years I was in, 68 - 89, the term was used carefully when he was alive and around. God forbid we grouped ourselves in to the mass of unwashed and unbelieving twads out there.

The problem with documentation on how it evolved will be a little difficult but maybe not impossible. So many things were taught so many times, places and ways. Between SNS's, Sunday 10:30 fellowships, Corps nights and meetings, campus visits, meetings in the Way Woods, etc. etc. etc. A lot of the details for this kind of thing may or may not be on tape, archived at the Way Nash or in somebody's basement and in 1,000's of copies of handouts, syllabus notes and handwritten notes.

It's a quandry, because the most reliable source for his stuff is printed books and recorded classes and tapes. But this attitude of disdain for organized religion and segregation from it wasn't dreamed up by an errant congregation. He just didn't talk about some of the stuff in public-public but it got out over time, mostly from the Way Corps that he taught it to.

baby's calling me home,

she keeps on callin' me home....

(boz scaggs)