GreaseSpot Cafe

Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?

4 hours ago, TLC said:

........take into consideration the possibility that there certain (invisible) realities that are only possible to ascertain through the use of reasoning at a higher level!

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that, by a *higher level of reasoning*, you're referring to revelation.This is a contradiction of terms.Revelation, according to the definitions we were supplied, does not rely on reasoning. By its very nature, it defies reasoning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TLC said:

How convenient for you to only quote part of the post, to make it appear as though those statements were something (anything) other than at attempt to clarify what Raf had said previously.  Par for the course, I suppose.  Aside from that, however, I don't disagree with or object to most of the rest of your post, other than to note that the ability to "think/reason at a higher level" alludes to doing so in a manner that can (or at least, might) take into consideration the possibility that there certain (invisible) realities that are only possible to ascertain through the use of reasoning at a higher level!

How quaint. 

I will grant (and have stated before) that there is something going on beyond what humans can perceive. In fact, there is anthropologically determined and documented evidence that humans have found hundreds, if not thousands of ways to define those "certain (invisible) realities." 

However, to give any credence to what you present (in bold, above), how do you propose to ascertain the veracity of said information received by alluded to certain invisible realities?

By definition, the Judeo-Christian creation story and the surrounding stories (as set forth in The Bible as we know it) has as a major theme, right from the start, deception by a spiritual entity. So, how would one discern whether any given thought that pops into his/her head as being from the right source? Didn't Jesus himself even have to cope with that dilemma?

Happy Easter. :wink2: 

Edited by Rocky

16 hours ago, waysider said:

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that, by a *higher level of reasoning*, you're referring to revelation.

No, I wasn't.  However,  there doesn't appear to be much reason why that shouldn't (or wouldn't) be included, if it were given (rare as it might be.) 

15 hours ago, Rocky said:

However, to give any credence to what you present (in bold, above), how do you propose to ascertain the veracity of said information received by alluded to certain invisible realities?

In a manner of speaking (perhaps), it paints a picture.

By definition, the Judeo-Christian creation story and the surrounding stories (as set forth in The Bible as we know it) has as a major theme, right from the start, deception by a spiritual entity.

By whose definition?  That may be one that you think and/or accept, but I surely don't.

So, how would one discern whether any given thought that pops into his/her head as being from the right source?

Twice now you've tried to insert and bring some (rather kinky) concept of (personal) "revelation" to the forefront, as if it were the key (or at least, essential) to anything I've said.  And it's not.

Didn't Jesus himself even have to cope with that dilemma?

What sort of ridiculous question is that?  Oh... ridiculous.  That was your point, I suppose.  To ridicule. 

Edited by TLC

5 hours ago, TLC said:
21 hours ago, Rocky said:

By definition, the Judeo-Christian creation story and the surrounding stories (as set forth in The Bible as we know it) has as a major theme, right from the start, deception by a spiritual entity.

By whose definition?  That may be one that you think and/or accept, but I surely don't.

Given where this thread is located, seems unclear to me exactly which "spiritual entity" you may have intended to refer to here...  which is why I opposed it, as at first glance, it appeared as if it referred to God (and not the serpent.)  And, your "thought that pops into his/her head"  phrase simply isn't something that I associate every day with how the devil operates (even if it is.) Neither do I see that phrase as being appropriate or fitting with any recorded interaction between the devil and Jesus Christ.  Consequently, your post doesn't actually make much sense.     

7 hours ago, TLC said:

Twice now you've tried to insert and bring some (rather kinky) concept of (personal) "revelation" to the forefront, as if it were the key (or at least, essential) to anything I've said.  And it's not.

What sort of ridiculous question is that?  Oh... ridiculous.  That was your point, I suppose.  To ridicule. 

Btw, there was nothing kinky about what I posted. If you read it as such, you own that perception.

Was that (what I highlighted in bold) a request for clarification? I realize it wasn't framed as such, but to give you the benefit of the doubt, I had to ask.

1 hour ago, TLC said:

Given where this thread is located, seems unclear to me exactly which "spiritual entity" you may have intended to refer to here...  which is why I opposed it, as at first glance, it appeared as if it referred to God (and not the serpent.)  And, your "thought that pops into his/her head"  phrase simply isn't something that I associate every day with how the devil operates (even if it is.) Neither do I see that phrase as being appropriate or fitting with any recorded interaction between the devil and Jesus Christ.  Consequently, your post doesn't actually make much sense.     

If your standard/understanding of communication was even close to correct, I would have to say that you intentionally misunderstood.

However, it isn't the correct standard. The correct response from you would be to ask for clarification, as in, "is this what you meant?"

Because you didn't, that is probably why to you my response to you didn't make sense.

My phrase "thought that pops into his/her head" isn't about the devil. It's about how the human mind operates. So, I have to ask for clarification. Are you saying that because you don't associate thoughts in a person's head with how the devil operates, you assume or suppose that when you get a thought that pops (appears, or however you'd like to characterize it) into your head, it must be from God?

Edited by Rocky

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

If your standard/understanding of communication was even close to correct, I would have to say that you intentionally misunderstood.

However, it isn't the correct standard. The correct response from you would be to ask for clarification, as in, "is this what you meant?"

Because you didn't, that is probably why to you my response to you didn't make sense.

My phrase "thought that pops into his/her head" isn't about the devil. It's about how the human mind operates. So, I have to ask for clarification. Are you saying that because you don't associate thoughts in a person's head with how the devil operates, you assume or suppose that when you get a thought that pops (appears, or however you'd like to characterize it) into your head, it must be from God?

Frankly, it sounds to me like you prefer talking in circles, and we are on such different wavelengths I can't really follow the way you evidently must think.  So you probably think I'm crazy (but yeah... I think you're crazy.)  But to answer your question (which certainly has an appearance of trying to put words in my mouth), no... and I'm not the one that first mentioned or brought up anything about "thoughts" popping up or appearing in your head.  You did.  For what purpose or reason, I'm still at a loss to see.  Looks to me like an effort to spin something I might have posted previously into something called "revelation."

Relating to the concept of understanding spiritual matters on a higher level:

We were taught in the PFAL series of classes that the more we speak in tongues, the more we will be able to understand spiritual matters.

However, now that we have exhaustively examined the Way version of speaking in tongues and determined it to be fraudulent, where does that leave us with this concept of enhanced spiritual understanding?

1 hour ago, TLC said:

Frankly, it sounds to me like you prefer talking in circles, and we are on such different wavelengths I can't really follow the way you evidently must think.  So you probably think I'm crazy (but yeah... I think you're crazy.)  But to answer your question (which certainly has an appearance of trying to put words in my mouth), no... and I'm not the one that first mentioned or brought up anything about "thoughts" popping up or appearing in your head.  You did.  For what purpose or reason, I'm still at a loss to see.  Looks to me like an effort to spin something I might have posted previously into something called "revelation."

So, even when I ask you for clarification, you take issue with it? Asking for clarification, in the form of "is this what you mean... ?" is now "spin?"

Oh, heck no. I don't think you're crazy. :confused:  I think you're needlessly defensive and paranoid.

So, how would YOU describe the process of "ascertaining spiritual information?" 

Ascertaining spiritual information means drawing a conclusion and then examining the evidence, tossing out evidence that does not conform to the conclusion you already reached before you started looking at the issue.

Calling it "ascertaining  spiritual information" is simply an appeal to emotion, trying to frame this fundamentally dishonest tactic in terms that elicit sympathy from fellow believers in opposition to the atheist bogeyman who won't let you get away with using made-up sh*t as facts.

The reason we don't accept "spiritual information" as evidence is as follows:

1. You cannot demonstrate objectively that such a thing exists. Really  the list should stop right there.

2. You have no way to objectively evaluate the reliability of the information. Comparing it to the Bible doesn't count because it's the book's reliability that is in question. That would be begging the question (aka circular reasoning). 

3. You have demonstrated no means of determining the source of the spiritual information. Is it from God? Allah? Ra? Vishnu? Thor? Satan? Calling it "spiritual information" demands an answer as to its source, which for the sake of presenting evidence you must identify. 

An objective observer is not obliged to assume the Christian God is any more or less real than any other deity.

3a. You have demonstrated no means of distinguishing between spiritual information and your own predetermined conclusion (aka, made up sh*t). 

Unless you can address those issues, those who evaluate evidence are under no obligation to put your "spiritual information" on the same plane as actual evidence.

Edited by Raf

So, even when I ask you for clarification, you take issue with it? Asking for clarification, in the form of "is this what you mean... ?" is now "spin?"

Oh, heck no. I don't think you're crazy. :confused:  I think you're needlessly defensive and paranoid.

So, how would YOU describe the process of "ascertaining spiritual information?" 

Depending on what or how something is asked, yes, it can be... even as yours is.  Take, for example, your last question... as I didn't write or speak of "ascertaining spiritual information" (as though it were just an extra piece of the puzzle,) yet you put it in quotes as though it were something which I definitely said, or at least meant (apparently as another attempt to draw or squeeze some sort of missing "revelation" into the equation).  What else would you call it, if not spin?

Furthermore, I've already described what I did say (about ascertaining spiritual realities) in another way, which evidently you seemed to have missed or chose to ignore. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, TLC said:

So, given we obviously don't see the same thing when looking at the paint, you want me to describe... what?  What you can't or don't see?

Edited by TLC

11 hours ago, waysider said:

However, now that we have exhaustively examined the Way version of speaking in tongues and determined it to be fraudulent, where does that leave us with this concept of enhanced spiritual understanding?

Given I'm not part of the "we" in your statement, I don't have any sort of answer to such a question other than the most obvious.  IF it is indeed fraudulent for a particular individual, why would it be expected to enhance an understanding anything, much less that which is spiritual?

58 minutes ago, TLC said:

.....why would it be expected to enhance an understanding (of) anything, much less that which is spiritual?

Yeah, that's my point. If there really is such a thing as speaking in tongues, what we learned in PFAL is not it. We placed an awful lot of expectation on something that wasn't real. But, I'm getting off topic here. Any discussion of speaking in tongues, specifically, would probably be better suited for one of the threads that already exists.

To be clear: If you are claiming tht YOUR SIT is genuine, then according to the Bible, you are producing a language. Can you establish, through evidence, what that language is? If so, you might have some claim to some spiritual connection. If not, you're full of sh*t and I am under no obligation to believe otherwise.

Anyone can fake tongues. If you claim to not be faking it, then the burden is on you to prove it.

What''s the language?

That's the thing. If you make a testable claim, then that claim is subject to testing. Like, if I say I have a time machine, it's not YOUR obligation to DISprove it; it is my obligation to PROVE it.

You claim to speak in tongues. Prove it. What's the language?

Cue the excuses.

Edited by Raf

Because if something actually happened, especially something of historical significance, there should be more evidence of its occurrence than a fairy tale concocted by a fiction writer (or four). 

One should expect that the evidence for a significant event that actually took place should be of greater weight than the "evidence" or indicators it did not.

8 hours ago, TLC said:

Depending on what or how something is asked, yes, it can be... even as yours is.  Take, for example, your last question... as I didn't write or speak of "ascertaining spiritual information" (as though it were just an extra piece of the puzzle,) yet you put it in quotes as though it were something which I definitely said, or at least meant (apparently as another attempt to draw or squeeze some sort of missing "revelation" into the equation).  What else would you call it, if not spin?

Furthermore, I've already described what I did say (about ascertaining spiritual realities) in another way, which evidently you seemed to have missed or chose to ignore. 

So, given we obviously don't see the same thing when looking at the paint, you want me to describe... what?  What you can't or don't see?

Paints a picture where?