GreaseSpot Cafe

Massachusetts

AdiosMiCorazon

I must start a thread for my adopted home state. I moved there when I was a little girl. Went to College in Worcester (pronounced Wuztar or Wuzter but not worchester or wurster the "r" is silent ) got "witnessed" to then. I actually had fun at first...that is until...I went WOW!

Does any one remember those patches and bumper stickers that said "making the bay state the way state?" Yuck! it pained me to write that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey I was a WOW in Holyoke, MA - 1977-78, then returned again in 1979-80..

Anyone out there recognize any of the following names?

Shelley Green (maiden name)

Jody Demerol (?maide name)

Pam Vachon

Wayne Vachon

Roy Resovick

Rob Fontaine

Randy Spaulding

Debbie Jobert (now Debbie Spaulding)

Peter Newey

Rob Gant

Jack Pendergast

Foster and Teesh Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Newey?

Just by coincidence I share a workspace with his brother Phil, a timberframer and builder of barns.

Peter apparently is still in and in Arkansas somewhere (I think thats it), a carpenter and still doing whatever corps grads do these days.

-Another brother Larry, who was an early wayfer in Mass, is also still about....I never met Peter, but Phil and Larry sure are interesting characters

Edited by mstar1

Would you be so kind as to ask Peter's brother for Peter's email addy, or Snail mail addy?

I would LOVE to get in touch with him.

He and his girlfriend at the time I believe it was 1980, were standing with me in my 'wedding from HELL", he advised me against it, as well did Foster Smith, but I went through with it for the STUPIDEST Reason, to this day I am KICKING MYSELF, all but for the fact I have a wonderful daughter. The guy I married and I split when my daughter was only 6 months old, and he has NEVER BEEN SEEN or heard from since, and infact has avoided child support (only $100 mo, caused him to vanish from his daughter's life.) HE, too was from Springfield MA -- ever hear of Alex Leondakis?

Anyway, I would LOVE to get in touch with Peter, I'm sure he would like to tell me "I told you so", or something like that. Great guy, I hope he married that gal, they were so great together.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

In reference to Post #3, I knew Roy Resovic as we were both students at UMass in the early 80's. The last I saw of Roy, he got married at HQ to a young lady who worked at the Limb of Kentucky.

Roy was enrolled in the Army ROTC program at UMass, and then went full-time active duty Army after he graduated. I guess he started off in the chopper (helicopter) school, but washed out of that program. The Army then put him in its armor (tanks) division and I guess he did alright in that.

He got married by Rev. Michael Fort, a.k.a. Howard Allen's son-in-law, because I guess he was the former limb leader of Kentucky, where Roy's bride had worked for him. I was also an usher in Roy's wedding.

A year or two after that, all the crap happened in the Way Ministry, and I have no clue what happened with Roy after that. I'm just praying the Army didn't send him to the Middle East or anything like that. If he's still in the Army, I'd say he's got well over 20 years in the military, more than enough time to retire.

I hope this helps a little bit.

• 9 months later...
In reference to Post #3, I knew Roy Resovic as we were both students at UMass in the early 80's. The last I saw of Roy, he got married at HQ to a young lady who worked at the Limb of Kentucky.

Roy was enrolled in the Army ROTC program at UMass, and then went full-time active duty Army after he graduated. I guess he started off in the chopper (helicopter) school, but washed out of that program. The Army then put him in its armor (tanks) division and I guess he did alright in that.

He got married by Rev. Michael Fort, a.k.a. Howard Allen's son-in-law, because I guess he was the former limb leader of Kentucky, where Roy's bride had worked for him. I was also an usher in Roy's wedding.

A year or two after that, all the crap happened in the Way Ministry, and I have no clue what happened with Roy after that. I'm just praying the Army didn't send him to the Middle East or anything like that. If he's still in the Army, I'd say he's got well over 20 years in the military, more than enough time to retire.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Frank, the time I checked, Roy lived in Colorado Springs CO. He stayed in the Army 10 years and made Captian. He has one son who is about 21 or 22. As far as I know he is still married. I'm not sure of what is he is doing for work, but it was in electronics. Try his name in google.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in the Way Ministry in Massachusetts from around 1979 - 1983

Some of the people I remember knowing in the Way of Masssachusetts you might also know....

Berkshires

Peter and Faye Granucci (had a leather shop in Great Barrington, MA)

Steve and Cathy Cline (had a leather shop in Great Barrington, MA, later had a Music Shop in Pittsfield, MA)

Rick Vogt ( had a Woodworking shop in Gt Barrington, MA)

Dave and Cathy Daniels

Woody Lawson (One wild and crazy guy!)

Maguerite and Magdeline Smith

Phil and Roberta Ashton (had a furniture reupholtering shop in Pittfield , just like Uncle Harry!)

Larry and Peter Newey

Nancy Schmulsy

Worcester Area

Foster and Teesh Smith ( Limb Leaders)

Suzanne Ryan (Branch leader)

Bernadette Willette ( Twig Leader)

Jack Prendergrast

Melanie Doggett

Des Moines, Iowa (my WOW year)

Jane Cossaboon

Ross Vachon

(I can remember lotsa faces but forget the names!)

BTW I also know a bit about Lary Newey because I googled him....http://www.tfguild.org/workshops/gouldfarm/gouldjune.html apparently he recently was building barns in Massachusetts with his brother Phil Newey

Im in the Berkshires (in Great Barrington as a matter of fact)

I know where the leather shop was, but it is long gone now...

Ive heard the names, but other than the Newey's have never run into any of the others--they also may be long gone

BTW I also know a bit about Lary Newey because I googled him....http://www.tfguild.org/workshops/gouldfarm/gouldjune.html apparently he recently was building barns in Massachusetts with his brother Phil Newey

I run into Larry every now an again, he does odd jobs , is in some prophetic church and is quite a character.

Phil has been building his own house for about a year, has two boys and is a little league coach. Good Guy. He's a really great barn builder and timberframer (I think I said about ayear or so ago I share a workshop with him) although Im a little ticked at him right now because his broken down forklift has been parked for about a week in front of a door I have to access...

were you in GB?

Edited by mstar1

I lived in Pittsfield MA but some of the believers from Gt Barrington moved into a "Way House" and I lived with them in Pittsfield MA for a short time.We often traveled to Gt Barrington because it is a short drive from Pittsfield.

BTW is Rick Vogt still there? He was a businessman (Vogt Woodworking) and had a large house in that area where we sometimes met. Around 1980 we also were involved in some thing called The Way In Politics or something like that, and there was some Way candidate for a State office or something and we were all hyped up, does anyone remember who that Way Politician was? I'll Rick Vogt rmemebrs if he is still around there.

I guess your saying you only knew the others by name, but....we ALL knew Larry Newey. I'm surprised he joined another church (man was he gung ho for the Way!) but I guess he finally "saw through" the Way Ministry. BTW I sponsored Larry in the Corps around 1980 or so. I do remeber Larry had a degree in Entomology(?) the study of Insects. I'm a bit surprised he didn't get a job in some scientific field or perahps medical , because I also knew his wife who was a nurse at a nursing home in Gt Barrington ( I worked with her for a short time)

Its a shame you didnt know the others because they also were memorable characters ( man I could tell you some stories!) and I miss them a lot and still love them.

I moved away from Massachasetts and now I live in Orlando Florida. I havent met or known anyone in Orlando from the Way because I basically "quit" the way in 1983.

Thnx for the update on Larry and feel free to message or PM me. Also about Gt Barrington ( I used to work at Willowood of Gt Barrington) its a nice little town.

is the politician you are referring to hayes gahagan?......he was a state senator from maine, who ran for the u.s. senate, and got clobbered........he then developed a "seminar" for twi's "word in government" arm, called "the blessings of liberty"..........this seminar and "word in government" concept was hijacked by tom jenkinson as gahagan faded into the background of twi "has-beens".

i lived in massachusetts from 1984 through 2002...........really enjoyed it there, and stil have many friends there..........

Yes that name rings a bell :thinking:

BTW what part of Massachusetts you from ( I also lived in Worcester, Northboro, Shrewsberry)

Yes Ive heard of those towns but Im not ( or rather I wasnt) knowledgeable of the Way believers in those towns.

Maybe you knew some of these people.....

Bernadette Willette

Suzanne Ryan

Foster and Teesh Smith

Jim Dufala

Melanie Doggett

Bill and Vicki Kralik

Tom something ( was the Limb Leader before Foster and Teesh) who played guitar

Ico Arcilla ( a student at WPI from Columbia , the country)

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Boston Metro area from 1982 to 1989, though I left The Way in 1987. Does anyone know what happened to Bob McIntosh, David Eldeen, Alison Whitley, BJ Heaney, or John & Lillian Hapnee? Also, Tom Burke and his wife? Some of the names I'm not sure on the spelling of the last name.

Does anyone remember me? Dana Bell?

I knew alot of people, have pictures of many, and can't for the life of me remember their names!

Can you post some of those pics? Im curious

By the way I knew Tom Burke around 1980-82, I also played music with him he had this song I forget it now, but it was kinda funny (Hes the one who played guitar right?)

P.S. I dont remeber you Dana, but a pic might help

Also you can see a pic of me on my profile

Edited by Steveo

Hi Steveo,

You don't look familiar, but it has been over 20 years and people do change.

Tom Burke was the Limb Cordinator when I was there. I was a WOW during 1982/83.

He put out a cassette, which I still have, called Many Ways. He did alot of funny songs.

(I can't say the same for VP's books - I threw them all out.)

Not sure if I can put the pictures up without my husband's help. His computer has all the

bells and whistles. He thinks my searching for old friends from The Way as a stupid waste

of time. I did find one in Florida this week and will be sending her a letter. I found another in Oregon and heard back

at least once. That was all I was really hoping for. To know they were okay and happy with

their lives. Putting Ghosts to rest, I guess you'd say.

Thanks for replying.

Yes! That song Many Ways, I remember it now! I used to play music with him in the band Bema Bound (Suzanne Ryan, Bernadette Willette, Tom Burke(sometimes), myself Steve Taikowski, and Jim Dufala, Peter Newey (on keyboards) cant remember the drummers name) Do you remember that band? We palyed at Limb events and a few other occassions, including some Advances

Im trying to think of some people I knew from Boston....Foster and Teesh Smith ( Northboro) but actually I was from western Mass, did you know anybody from western Mass?

Edited by Steveo