GreaseSpot Cafe

Hypotherapy

Twinky

I'm just wondering what people think about hypnotherapy, whether it works (lastingly) - what it is, really. I was listening to someone on the radio the other day who'd had a fear of water and after one session had found herself able to get into a swimming bath and swim (somehow) for about 25m.

Being hypnotised has never had any attraction for me but I can see it might be beneficial to people who have serious phobias about "unimportant" things and some have reported great success in being able to give up smoking after having smoked for many years or decades. If a person is terrified of even the friendliest dog, or cat, or of spiders, or open spaces, not to mention more obscure phobias ... these could significantly impact on one's quality of life.

The Way taught that hypnotism was opening oneself up to devil spirit possession; if you weren't in control of your mind/thinking, who or what was? I think that can be an argument the other way too - if you have an unreasonable fear (phobia) that hinders your everyday life, who or what is in control there?

Any thoughts, anyone?

I seriously DON'T want this to become a Way-beating topic, which is why I've not opened it in About The Way or in Doctrinal. Please try to stay away from those aspects of this topic as much as possible.

My comment is purely anecdotal.

I have known people who have tried, unsuccessfully, to use is it for weight loss. The results are extremely short lived. It requires constant, costly re-fortification sessions. In my opinion, this is to insure that a state of self delusion endures, albeit, temporarily. If you really, really want it to work, of course, it may work. Not because of the method but, rather, because of self-determination. I have never personally tried it, however, my observation of other peoples' experiences leads me to believe it is yet another scam, designed to bring financial gain to the purveyor.

And, no, I don't think there is anything "spiritual" about it.

Replying SOLELY to its use in Psychology,

At best, it's a band-aid solution.

With compulsive behaviors troubling the patient, it is possible to use hypnosis to TEMPORARILY mask a symptom, but then therapy must take over. The hypnosis, at best, buys time to continue treatment and get lasting results. 

That having been said, for anything less than that, I consider using hypnosis or other forms of mind control to be akin to using a hammer to kill a flea.  It's not good for the mind for someone to try to hack into it. 

• Upvote 1