GreaseSpot Cafe

"rev" gerry wrenn raises wierwille from the dead!

Hi Mamouda.  Welcome to the café.  Yep, you'll be shocked at some of the "behind the scenes" things you discover here.  Be prepared to be horrified.

Geer was an arrogant prig and what you say is no surprise.  There's a thread about him in Way in Europe or some such forum.  He "established" Gartmore, caused a rift among the trustees that ripped TWI in half, and lurked in Gartmore plotting more of the same.  I think he is now back in Maine or some such. Gartmore was sold years ago.  There are threads on that, here; enter "Gartmore" in the search box and you will find some relevant threads.

Sexual abuse was rampant and you will find many first and second hand reports here.  There were court cases about Martindale and that's what got him thrown out, but Wierwille was never brought to justice.

You talk about your "country coordinator" - which country were/are you in?  (PM me if you don't want to say publicly)

Anyway, we are way off topic here!  Have fun browsing.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 2:23 AM, mamouda said:

I'm am shocked :(  about all the things I'm reading.

Most of us were shocked about most of this.

My "guts" kept telling me some things were wrong...

I never went to the Corps but I heard about things that were tough.

Then heard about the sexual abuse.

A lot of people who were somewhat closer than little local Bible meetings saw some things that "felt wrong" but they were so convinced that the overall thing was of God that they ignored that and any "still, small voice" that said otherwise.

Then a few things about Geer that one day pushed me violently because someone did something he didn't like and I was in his way...

Yeah, when the cameras were off, vpw AND cgeer were nutjobs.   lcm was one 24/7 because he really thought this was all of God.  That's why he got caught where vpw was busy covering his own tracks.

He was about money someone told me.

Quite a bit of it was about money, and some was about ego.  The entire choice of Gartmore House for the initial location was a poor idea.  cgeer himself outlined it in his 40-page letter, but he didn't mean to say that because he signed off on the location, which was the cause of most of the site problems that resulted. (Too remote to get help, too remote to get deliveries, etc.)    I'm not sure any of his part wasn't about money OR ego.

What happened to Gartmore? Where's the money? Who collected it? Houses in Maine are expensive...

cgeer was one of the signators to "the Way in Great Britain Ltd", which owned Gartmore House.  "They" sold it off and never announced where the money went.

I understand why our country co wanted to protect us. We were so young...

A lot of legit Christians in twi did their best to insulate the younger Christians from fallout from the Root locales by psychopathic leaders like vpw, cgeer and lcm.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, WordWolf said:

I'm am shocked :(  about all the things I'm reading.

Most of us were shocked about most of this.

My "guts" kept telling me some things were wrong...

I never went to the Corps but I heard about things that were tough.

Then heard about the sexual abuse.

A lot of people who were somewhat closer than little local Bible meetings saw some things that "felt wrong" but they were so convinced that the overall thing was of God that they ignored that and any "still, small voice" that said otherwise.

Then a few things about Geer that one day pushed me violently because someone did something he didn't like and I was in his way...

Yeah, when the cameras were off, vpw AND cgeer were nutjobs.   lcm was one 24/7 because he really thought this was all of God.  That's why he got caught where vpw was busy covering his own tracks.

He was about money someone told me.

Quite a bit of it was about money, and some was about ego.  The entire choice of Gartmore House for the initial location was a poor idea.  cgeer himself outlined it in his 40-page letter, but he didn't mean to say that because he signed off on the location, which was the cause of most of the site problems that resulted. (Too remote to get help, too remote to get deliveries, etc.)    I'm not sure any of his part wasn't about money OR ego.

I went there a few times. I never felt comfortable.

What happened to Gartmore? Where's the money? Who collected it? Houses in Maine are expensive...

cgeer was one of the signators to "the Way in Great Britain Ltd", which owned Gartmore House.  "They" sold it off and never announced where the money went.

Not surprised to hear!

I understand why our country co wanted to protect us. We were so young...

A lot of legit Christians in twi did their best to insulate the younger Christians from fallout from the Root locales by psychopathic leaders like vpw, cgeer and lcm.

Yes we were young and full of energy to spread the Word. But some things in the PFAL like the needs and wants parallel... yeah not really sure it was accurately from the Bible at the time. Also The Bible tells me so... Then Geer's class, what a boring class! 

That whole "needs and wants parallel" thing was more from the "God is a magic genie" ideology, and NOT from the Bible.   Notice no verses were ever used to discuss it?  Anecdotes, but not verses.   We've discussed some of the wrong things/errors in pfal in a few different threads around here somewhere, along with threads about the errors in the Blue Book (which includes the "needs-wants" thing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to this site, sastain, where you'll read many posts that reveal other sides to The Way story than what you'll find on its website or from Wierwille's loyalists.

I was in the 2nd Way Corps (with Gerry Wre*n) and a member of VPW's research team. So I invite you to check out my own website at https://charleneedge.com for blogs on cults and fundamentalism, and The Way.

Cheers to expanding our understanding of our Way experiences!

Charlene Edge

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Lots of bitterness here as I look about. I was cruising through some personal ancient history, reminiscing about life and my start into adulthood. I have my regrets for involvement in the Way at the scale that I participated, but I kept marching on after I decided to disassociate. It was impossible to totally escape long term influence.  I am sorry to see that some statements made here are false or exaggerated. Hate, bitterness, jealousy? have preempted good thought.   

41 years ago I took the class, stuck with it for 11 more and then had a bitter divorce from it all. But it still influences me , for better or for worse. I have never stopped to get all mad about it or try to generates some hate for someone else or cry in my beer about regrets. Life moves on.  So there you go, just stopped by for a quick look.    

Thanks for your take on the matter, Way back when. Not everyone reacts the same to adversity. I'm glad you were able to put yourself on a better course. Not everyone can do that on their own. And, sometimes things aren't as they appear to be. I suggest you stick around awhile and get to know people a bit more before you pass judgement. Well, anyhow, have a coffee on the house and look around a bit more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Way back when said:

Lots of bitterness here as I look about. I was cruising through some personal ancient history, reminiscing about life and my start into adulthood. I have my regrets for involvement in the Way at the scale that I participated, but I kept marching on after I decided to disassociate. It was impossible to totally escape long term influence.  I am sorry to see that some statements made here are false or exaggerated. Hate, bitterness, jealousy? have preempted good thought.   

41 years ago I took the class, stuck with it for 11 more and then had a bitter divorce from it all. But it still influences me , for better or for worse. I have never stopped to get all mad about it or try to generates some hate for someone else or cry in my beer about regrets. Life moves on.  So there you go, just stopped by for a quick look.    

I'll echo Waysider's comment but also add that nobody here can authoritatively label anyone's first person account false or exaggerated. 

Btw, Wbw, have you ever heard the expression, "where there's smoke, there's fire?"

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes there is a lot of venting needed because we spent years with stuffed feelings and opinions and were not actually allowed to experience our reality, only the reality we were told to accept.  It can take awhile to get in touch with the authentic self.  And venting things that couldn't be expressed  is often part of the process.

• Like 1

You know why I come here?

To be judged by people who don't know who we are, why we're here, what motivates us. I love being called bitter by a total stranger making a blanket statement in a drive by post.

Welcome to Greasespot, Your Honor. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Well. Gerald Wren and wife made their way to Bloomington IN a few months ago. Got invited to listen to a phone hook-up on Weds... Reading DWBH's thoughts here again clarified things for me; nope, not going to fellowship w/ those folks, even though I would really like to reconnect with old friends that have moved back to town, or who are emerging from Cris Geer land and coming into GW's ministry apparently. Altho Who Knows what things may have changed in GW's thinking since 2016 when DWBH last posted I think? Still don't feel led to join old friends around him.

Anyway, thank you for being here GSC-ers! Best in 2021!!:wave:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annio said:

Well. Gerald Wren and wife made their way to Bloomington IN a few months ago. Got invited to listen to a phone hook-up on Weds... Reading DWBH's thoughts here again clarified things for me; nope, not going to fellowship w/ those folks, even though I would really like to reconnect with old friends that have moved back to town, or who are emerging from Cris Geer land and coming into GW's ministry apparently. Altho Who Knows what things may have changed in GW's thinking since 2016 when DWBH last posted I think? Still don't feel led to join old friends around him.

Anyway, thank you for being here GSC-ers! Best in 2021!!:wave:

Annio, why can't you connect with your old friends??  It's not for me to tell you what to do, but I love to connect with old friends.  Once I get my vaccine shots, I plan on visiting some old friends in RI, and taking a cruise with my family members.  They have their views, I have mine.  We are adults; we can agree to disagree.  If the topics get too political, we can stop, and discuss other things.  Best in 2021 to everyone here at the GSC!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, annio said:

Reading DWBH's thoughts here again clarified things for me; nope, not going to fellowship w/ those folks

Good decision!

4 hours ago, annio said:

I would really like to reconnect with old friends that have moved back to town

Go for it, if they really were friends while you were involved in TWI.  How much did you have in common during the time you knew them - I mean apart from going to fellowship meetings - did you enjoy each other's company?  Perhaps they're hurt too and want a friend ?  

If you make phone contact, at least they're not so in-your-face, and you can make an excuse to terminate the call.  Guard your heart, and don't take any nonsense, condemnation, or manipulation.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate those replies! It's the PTSD I am still recovering from (relating to twi and also other traumatic experiences) that keeps my nervous system on high alert at times... But am doing better and not so afraid of triggering; I may trigger but can handle it better now. It WOULD be great to connect w/ one friend to begin with. One male leader in particular I shared a lot of confidences re: marital and personal struggles with, and am not ready to connect w/ him. I did extend an invite to the old friend, and hope to get together via zoom or phone :-) Gotta practice my deep breathing, and take what feels like a plunge; that's what trauma recovering is like tho.  Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, annio said:

I really appreciate those replies! It's the PTSD I am still recovering from (relating to twi and also other traumatic experiences) that keeps my nervous system on high alert at times... But am doing better and not so afraid of triggering; I may trigger but can handle it better now. It WOULD be great to connect w/ one friend to begin with. One male leader in particular I shared a lot of confidences re: marital and personal struggles with, and am not ready to connect w/ him. I did extend an invite to the old friend, and hope to get together via zoom or phone :-) Gotta practice my deep breathing, and take what feels like a plunge; that's what trauma recovering is like tho.  Cheers!

Nice to hear your perspectives as one who knew the guy in the corps. And I hope your recovery continues to go well; mine is doing OK, my sexual assault was not my only trauma. Interestingly, the friend who has been most helpful in my recovery has no Way or cult connections, but is a child abuse survivor. But she understands how it goes in a cult; in many ways we were treated as children. I just started a new therapist, there was nothing wrong with my other one, but we agreed it is time for me to explore new avenues.