GreaseSpot Cafe

Mind Reading

Bolshevik

(This may be off topic ... and my apology if it is ... I'm new here!) ... but this topic made me think of something a lot of corps folks may recall.  Maybe some "mind-reading revelation" in TWIT came about because vee-pee (and other select "leaders") had access to certain people's "autobiographies"!  A requirement for Corps folks -- after a certain year, I think -- when one arrived on "campus" was to write one.  It was to be titled "From Birth to the Corps."  This was a virtual blueprint to identify the most vulnerable among us, for sure!  For instance, if one shared about sexual abuse in your past -- it would pretty much make a person ripe for the picking when it came to choosing someone who could be persuaded to engage in the sexual exploitation/abuse/crimes that we all know now were rampant among the corrupted leadership, starting from vee-pee on down.  God only knows how many people had access to those things -- and how they may have played a part in how people were manipulated by false "revelation" from those in leadership who wanted that information to use people.  Again, sorry if this is not quite on topic. 

Little did so many of us who were so trusting and idealistic ever think that sharing our life stories with someone as "Godly" as Dr. Weirwille to read would ever have such a darker side to it!!

Edited by Lanikaigal
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Lanikaigal said:

(This may be off topic ... and my apology if it is ... I'm new here!) ... but this topic made me think of something a lot of corps folks may recall.  Maybe some "mind-reading revelation" in TWIT came about because vee-pee (and other select "leaders") had access to certain people's "autobiographies"!  A requirement for Corps folks -- after a certain year, I think -- when one arrived on "campus" was to write one.  It was to be titled "From Birth to the Corps."  This was a virtual blueprint to identify the most vulnerable among us, for sure!  For instance, if one shared about sexual abuse in your past -- it would pretty much make a person ripe for the picking when it came to choosing someone who could be persuaded to engage in the sexual exploitation/abuse/crimes that we all know now were rampant among the corrupted leadership, starting from vee-pee on down.  God only knows how many people had access to those things -- and how they may have played a part in how people were manipulated by false "revelation" from those in leadership who wanted that information to use people.  Again, sorry if this is not quite on topic. 

Little did so many of us who were so trusting and idealistic ever think that sharing our life stories with someone as "Godly" as Dr. Weirwille to read would ever have such a darker side to it!!

Indeed. At least one poster once said that vpw called her in to put the moves on her-and had her "From  Birth to the Corps" paper IN HIS HAND when she arrived. Can't get much more overt than that....  I never thought about OTHER PEOPLE having access to those. 

If I'd ever had to write one, I'm sure I deliberately would have left some things out and invented some things specifically for privacy and revelation reasons- if they know the actual and not the written version, they might know by revelation....

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Lanikaigal said:

great post LaniK - i don't think that's off topic at all; those birth to the way corps papers was one of the many tricks they used to exploit people - like what Twinky was sharing about - finding out your weaknesses one way or another - to develop a profile of their target. yikes!

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

great post LaniK - i don't think that's off topic at all; those birth to the way corps papers was one of the many tricks they used to exploit people - like what Twinky was sharing about - finding out your weaknesses one way or another - to develop a profile of their target. yikes!

Indeed, to exploit vulnerable people who were too trusting and not guarded enough... and no doubt did assist with mindreading, to a degree.

• Upvote 3

Just as a goofy aside.......

Regarding soul life in the animal kingdom.......

I have  always enjoyed Genesis 9:6ff in this regard. It's the account of Noah right after the flood is receding. It is the record of the first Covenant between Jahweh and man after Eden. It declares that God will never again destroy the living creatures of ANY kind ever again, and as a signature to this everlasting covenant with man and all living creatures, God gave the sign of the rainbow. I think of Genesis 9 every time I see a rainbow.......or, look into the eyes of a dog, a horse, a great ape, a cat, an otter, a dolphin, a blue whale, a grey parrot, a tortoise, an eagle, etc. Soul is awesome, and it's not the sole possession of humankind. Just my thoughts........peace.

• Upvote 2

I can usually tell what the cats want by reading them.  Or maybe they just have me trained.  When I want something I have to use a laser pointer.  Maybe we're co-manipulators.

But remember God has to take baby-steps to work with people to receive revelation.  He has to use what we already understand at first until we're ready for audible revelation . . . so maybe God is teaching me via the cats.  9 manifestations . . . 9 lives. . . . I think it adds up.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I can usually tell what the cats want by reading them.  Or maybe they just have me trained.  When I want something I have to use a laser pointer.  Maybe we're co-manipulators.

But remember God has to take baby-steps to work with people to receive revelation.  He has to use what we already understand at first until we're ready for audible revelation . . . so maybe God is teaching me via the cats.  9 manifestations . . . 9 lives. . . . I think it adds up.

yes - i read all about that in the catechism of the Catholic church

Waysider, thanks for the Sam & Dave.....love those guys

5 hours ago, waysider said:

I was trying to read your mind. All I could make out was "something, something, Donald Duck Dunn".

ladies and gentlemen, that is amazing !!!!!

i have never mentioned on this thread that i am bass-player-centric when i listen to music!!!!

let's hear it for the one and only Waysider the Magnificent !

• Upvote 2

Going back to the notion of academic research related to social and emotional intelligence, I just found this article published yesterday.

Personal competence comprises your self-awareness and self-management skills, which focus more on you individually than on your interactions with other people. Personal competence is your ability to stay aware of your emotions and manage your behavior and tendencies.

• Self-Awareness is your ability to accurately perceive your emotions and stay aware of them as they happen.
  • Self-Management is your ability to use awareness of your emotions to stay flexible and positively direct your behavior.

Social competence is made up of your social awareness and relationship management skills; social competence is your ability to understand other people’s moods, behavior, and motives in order to respond effectively and improve the quality of your relationships.

• Social Awareness is your ability to accurately pick up on emotions in other people and understand what is really going on.
  • Relationship Management is your ability to use awareness of your emotions and the others’ emotions to manage interactions successfully. [/quote]

The article lists 9 habits of highly emotionally intelligent people. And I suspect that highly emotionally intelligent people are able to tap into a version of power for abundant living that doesn't cost $200.00, or require a lifetime commitment to an endless series of classes, twig fellowships, year long outreach programs, slave training or sexual and emotional abuse from cult leaders. Just sayin'.

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 4

I remember LCM use to say the devil can't read your mind. You don't have to read someone's mind if their nonverbals (also called body language) are plain enough. The reason they're called nonverbal is that the channel of communication is nonverbal, however, a verbal message is still required, otherwise there's nothing to communicate.

Example: a turn signal on a car. In and of itself, it's nonverbal. It's a flashing light on a moving object. But we all know there is a definite verbal message behind it. This vehicle is turning right, turning left, or partially or fully disabled if both are on at the same time.

The nonverbal channels in human communication include facial expression, tone, volume, or inflection of voice, posture, hand gestures, eye contact, or lack of it, and things like that. We can tell a lot about each other by observing those things.

There was a commercial for Coors that ran for several years during sporting events. In it, a woman is seated at a bar as a very attractive man walks near her. She says anxiously, "I'm Alex, are you Brad?" Guys says no, she says blind date. All of a sudden a loud bright yellow car pulls up driven by a man with an arrogant look on his face. He hits himself with breath spray, his license tag says 'THE BRAD'. The woman slumps down in her seat. The first man, noticing all this, gets up and walks up to Brad who had just entered the place. Man says, "You must be Brad." Brad cockily affirms, "Oh, yeah!" First man says with hand extended, "I'm Alex." Brad's facial expression becomes disturbed, bright yellow car squealing its tires in its haste to exit.

The verbal communication from Brad is 4 words, the 2 on his license plate and the 2 he spoke. Everything else you know about him was nonverbal. The commercial did an effective job of saying don't be that guy...mostly nonverbally.

But nonverbal channels won't reveal everything. God can reveal what someone is thinking or intending. I don't call that mind reading since God is the one doing the heavy lifting.

I don't call that mind reading since God is the one doing the heavy lifting.

And it's not spying if someone else plants the cameras. :rolleyes:

Your thoughts are not private, and are being monitored, you can and will be punished, is some of the effect.  I think it was strongly implied as well that everyone's thoughts will be revealed at the Bema as well.

It implies your relationship with God and yourself is an open book. 

It implies leadership has special favor with God over the follower.

It implies you are too inept to make your own decisions and your thoughts need monitoring.

It encourages people, both leader and follower, to act like bumbling idiots.

Edited by Bolshevik
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, krys said:

Some of them were bumbling idiots!

And we are to see them through the Eyes of Christ.

VPW kept notebooks?  VPW makes self-serving act.  Decades after his death, people's minds are unwittingly making daily decisions based on that. 

Crazy stuff.

When it comes to figuring out what someone's thinking, 2 completely mundane methods are the COLD READ and the HOT READ.  Both are used by so-called psychics all the time.

The COLD READ begins with generic messages that could apply to most people, while the mentalist watches all the reactions of the person, and tailors his responses accordingly. "I see him dressed formally.... *person hesitates as if that's incorrect*....which is odd because I sense he normally doesn't dress up."   The person gives things away in their reactions, and often in the responses they give.  Someone saying that a child is in trouble may get the pigeon to blurt out a name-after which it's incorporated into the reading. The next thing they know, the person's agreeing to pay lots of money because they're convinced the mentalist knew things.

A HOT READ is rarer, but more effective, especially when added to a cold-read.   In a Hot Read, the mentalist has gotten ahold of information about the other person, like a diary, or an autobiography ("From Birth to the Corps") or someone else hands them a personal history of the pigeon.  It's FAR more effective because the person has no clue that the mentalist has a mundane information source so they're more convinced.   (Like when someone told cg about some problems at HQ, and the clueless people automatically assumed that God Almighty snitched on their issues because they couldn't imagine a mundane reason he would know-but we had the person who told him speak up to us, and also to them when they started imagining that.)    Depending on the specifics, the skill of the mentalist, and the gullability of the audience, a mentalist can develop quite a following.

We had a thread where both types were demonstrated (mostly the cold read in its most basic form)  in response to the supposed "personal prophecy" nonsense that ces/stfi peddles and refuses to discuss.   We saw how easy it is to set up the basics for that and make it look like it's really special knowledge of the pigeon.  (Raf also demonstrated the "hot read" at one point, purely as illustration.)

"Step Right Up, Get your own Personal Prophecy" was the thread.

• Upvote 2

The Confidence Game: Why we fall for it every time

For con artists, intuitive psychology, the process of sizing up who someone is, what they're made of, what they desire, isn't a nice evolutionary by-product or fun way to pass the time. It's their livelihood. One of their great skills is to discern details of a victim's life without her knowledge, so that she doesn't even realize how much she's given away -- and then, to use those very details to impress the victim with their insight. That ability is, indeed, the first step of a con... The moment when a confidence artist investigates and chooses his prey. And it is, in more senses than one, the most crucial step of the entire operation. Size someone up well and you can sell them anything... Fail to do so, and the most elaborate or attractive master plan will fall on deaf ears. (pages 56-57)

Edited by Rocky
fix typos
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

I've had The Confidence Game on my Kindle for a few months now - but have to finish 3 other books i'm reading first (Going Clear on Scientology, The Proud Tower, a portrait of the world before WWI, and Life Itself, a memoir of Roger Ebert)....and besides that i've gotten lost in binge-watching Lost and coupled with some long hours at work - i'm way behind in my reading....i know - i should get my priorities in order...in that case Lost comes first  :biglaugh: ..... but seriously - thanks for sharing that quote from Confidence Game - that has given me a renewed interest in getting to that soon - thanks Rocky!

• Upvote 2

Also, just wanted to bring it up in light of TWI, I remember many of their "mind-reading" tricks especially at HQ or another root locale involved having a flock of spineless tattletale spies who go around and report to the top on everything.  

I talked to a clergy woman later who detailed some of this out - how she and husband were put in a "unit" (read trailer) with another family to live per TWI housing requirements, and the prez cabinet person would have her come tattle on private details in life with the other couple.  

Hey I guess that's one benefit they don't list of going on staff - you can experience a flock of spineless tattletale spy seagulls.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, chockfull said:

Also, just wanted to bring it up in light of TWI, I remember many of their "mind-reading" tricks especially at HQ or another root locale involved having a flock of spineless tattletale spies who go around and report to the top on everything.  

I talked to a clergy woman later who detailed some of this out - how she and husband were put in a "unit" (read trailer) with another family to live per TWI housing requirements, and the prez cabinet person would have her come tattle on private details in life with the other couple.  

Hey I guess that's one benefit they don't list of going on staff - you can experience a flock of spineless tattletale spy seagulls.

Yikes !!!    i left in '86 but hearing about stuff like that still really creeps me out ! It's mind-boggling to what lengths they'd go to so they could manipulate and exploit folks!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, Bolshevik said:

And it's not spying if someone else plants the cameras. :rolleyes:

Your thoughts are not private, and are being monitored, you can and will be punished, is some of the effect.  I think it was strongly implied as well that everyone's thoughts will be revealed at the Bema as well.

It implies your relationship with God and yourself is an open book. 

It implies leadership has special favor with God over the follower.

It implies you are too inept to make your own decisions and your thoughts need monitoring.

It encourages people, both leader and follower, to act like bumbling idiots.

Did Christ's accomplishments pay for anything?

On 8/23/2016 at 9:29 AM, chockfull said:

I'm thinking of that in light of the "Two by Two" requirements.  It was bad enough you're rarely alone.  If someone is always there, there's always someone to conjure up dirt about you.  Pair up with enough people and suddenly you've got a jury out against you.

• Upvote 1