GreaseSpot Cafe

Where have all those Good Actors gone?

On 8/24/2017 at 11:48 PM, Twinky said:

I could ask you the same question: what's it like, having a TV and having that box in the corner distracting your every moment? :biglaugh:

Yeah, that's exactly right, most of the programs on TV are rubbish and not worth the time wasted watching it.  I haven't watched many movies over the internet, only a couple of times at most.  If I watch anything at all it's around the fall when the new series arrive or a sporting event,  e.q. Olympics, Baseball, (only the post-season), football and golf, a new tv comedy show I like, called "I'm Sorry".  Other than those, I spent most of my time doing things outdoors, or at my part-time job or online.

Speaking of that evil box I bought a new 48" flat screen TV a few weeks ago not for any reason really, I just figured why not?  I set it up and I was really amazed how lightweight it was (16lb) and it had all the buttons, bells, and whistle's with all the current state of the art technology. (All I could do was turn it off and on)  Somebody took it out of the box before I bought it and I got 20% off.   That was a good deal.

I set it on our coffee table on it's stand which surprisingly felt very stable in the front of the fireplace, not worried about anything seemed pet friendly enough even for a small cat.   The other day I woke up out of a deep sleep to a crashing sound like my china hutch fell over and when I got up and walked into the next room there was my small cat standing on the back of the TV which was face down on the hardwood floor looking up as if to say to me, "There's nothing going on here".  It's difficult to assess how she did it but I assume she stepped off the hearth or fireplace mantel to see if she could walk on it (about 3/4 of an inch) and when she did she discovered gravity.  :rolleyes:

Needless to say those TV's are not designed to withstand that kind of an impact and the TV was toast.  The whole thing was shot.  I'm over it. But I probably will buy another down the road sometime because I enjoyed the picture quality so well.  The only exception will be I will anchor it to the wall.  

On 10/15/2016 at 5:34 AM, Human without the bean said:

Do the actors from today size up to the actors from the day?  

I want to open up and discuss who you might think those actors are today, who have been out there for 20 or 30 years and not become more popular because of their clothing lines, colognes, and their beautiful bodies,  those actors who burst onto the scene with the highest expectations but have not come up to the ranks of say Peter O'toole, Gene Wilder, or say a Robert Duvall?

I like Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.  Do you think their work is really standing up?  DiCaprio's latest oscar performance was riveting. IMO he has laid down some tracks but not all toward a movie career the likes of a Ford, Hanks or a Dustin Hoffman. It's still early.  Maybe.

I realize that these actors are from another generation, the generation of actors whom we hoped would become the next great DeNiro or Gene Hackman, Sean Connery or Gregory Peck, but can their work achieve what the Marlon Brando generation achieved, the Orson Welles, Gary Cooper's, or James Stewart's did? 

Who do think stands up today?   Does anyone come to mind?

I’m fascinated by comedians (many of whom started out with comedy being their only thing) who later took on some serious dramatic roles: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, Jamie Foxx, Billy Crystal, Billy Connolly, Steve Martin, Steve Coogan, and Kristen Wiig…I know some of the classic actors – like Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant could easily handle comedy or drama…

but I wonder if going from comedy to drama is somewhat easier for those who have a long suit in comedy – I tend to think being good at comedy is a lot harder to pull off because there’s so many variables that have to be just right – timing…your target…your “ammunition”…hitting the right tone, etc….in my opinion, a bad drama isn’t such a big disappointment as a comedy that is NOT funny.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2017 at 1:59 AM, Human without the bean said:

So what's that like Twinky without a tv?  I've heard of people who do not have a tv, Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction didn't watch tv, but what does a real boy in this day and age supplement himself with instead of the great big wide spectacular 64in" color TV?  How does that work?  Are you a monk?  Are you in television and don't want to associate with it?   That's quite a feat if you really don't have one!

Human, I haven't had a TV for years!! I think most of the current TV shows are Trash; if I did have a TV, I would watch the old shows, like Perry Mason, Star Trek, ect.  I watch a lot of old movies on my IPhone; they are great, and I don't have to pay for them.

That still doesn't answer my question Grace,  where have all the good actors gone?  By the way, good for you that you don't have a tv.  I could do it too, but, I have a family who loves tv and spends most of their day there.  I could follow shows on the world wide web and drop cable but my wife and kid wouldn't go for it.   I do like some tv shows.  Not the classics (they're good too)  but I'm into the edgy satirical shows like "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (twisted shows, I think some are quite good) "Portlandia", "A Handmaid's Tale".  

I haven't seen Handmaid's tale yet.  I may have to soon rent the first season.  But, this is an excellent segue back to the topic of this thread.  The actress Elisabeth Moss won a tv award I forget what they are called right now (Grammy, maybe), but I think she is an excellent actress and her career is only just starting really.  I thought she brought the strongest role to the series "Mad Men" which I happen to be particularly very fond of.   She's very talented.   I also think another "Mad Men" cast star is a very good actress too,  Christina Hendricks.  She's kind of a Rita Hayworth type, she is a natural red head and tries to exploit that and she can act as well. 

14 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

That still doesn't answer my question Grace,  where have all the good actors gone?  By the way, good for you that you don't have a tv.  I could do it too, but, I have a family who loves tv and spends most of their day there.  I could follow shows on the world wide web and drop cable but my wife and kid wouldn't go for it.   I do like some tv shows.  Not the classics (they're good too)  but I'm into the edgy satirical shows like "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (twisted shows, I think some are quite good) "Portlandia", "A Handmaid's Tale".  

I haven't seen Handmaid's tale yet.  I may have to soon rent the first season.  But, this is an excellent segue back to the topic of this thread.  The actress Elisabeth Moss won a tv award I forget what they are called right now (Grammy, maybe), but I think she is an excellent actress and her career is only just starting really.  I thought she brought the strongest role to the series "Mad Men" which I happen to be particularly very fond of.   She's very talented.   I also think another "Mad Men" cast star is a very good actress too,  Christina Hendricks.  She's kind of a Rita Hayworth type, she is a natural red head and tries to exploit that and she can act as well. 

Human, I have never seen any of the shows you mentioned.  However, you do have a good point; most people who don't have T.V.s,

18 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Human, I have never seen any of those TV shows.  However, you have a good point; most people without TV's are single, and without kids. Cable is way too expensive for me.  I know some people can use Rabbit Ears, but they don't work for me.  Also, I am afraid that if I had Cable, I would watch way too much TV.  I know some people think I am nuts, not having a TV, but it works for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last year I saw Tomorrowland with my youngest son, and Brit Robertson stood out as a shining star.  Her facial expressions were incredibly on track, and added an immense depth to her character.  Then this year I saw her in Mother's Day, and again she shined bright.  Probably the best young female I've seen lately.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Taxidev said:

Last year I saw Tomorrowland with my youngest son, and Brit Robertson stood out as a shining star.  Her facial expressions were incredibly on track, and added an immense depth to her character.  Then this year I saw her in Mother's Day, and again she shined bright.  Probably the best young female I've seen lately.

Taxi, I also saw Tomorrowland last year.  I thought it was a great movie.  It certainly was different.

• Upvote 1