GreaseSpot Cafe

Leah Remini/ Scientology and similarity to TWI

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

actually, I prefer Thomas instead of Tom or Tommy

On 8/15/2017 at 5:21 PM, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Season 2 begins tonight and talks about sexual abuse of adults and children. Shades of TWI!

Sat through this episode.  This one focuses on two girls who are friends who contacted Leah Remini and the show and wanted to tell their story.   They both were children of Sea Org members, treated as commodity.  The family bond is devalued in the Scientology cult so basically all Sea Org children were farmed out to ranches and schools where the parents had very little contact with them.   These 2 girls told their story of sexual abuse in that type of environment, one by her own father, and the other by a Sea Org member.  The one girl abused by her father basically contemplated suicide for a good portion of her young life.  

People could argue these are a couple exceptions and there are bad apples in every organization.  However, the practices of the Sea Org and leadership devaluing life, home, family, connections, friends, all served as forms of enslavement and imprisonment.  Breaking down family walls with cult allegiances is a big theme here.  

The girls tried to report the abuse up through the organization.  They were met with stonewalling, and circles of protection around the abusers.

So yeah.  Kind of sounds like the Way.  Behind the scenes.

the last episode was about depression and suicide. Yes Ron Hubbard's book Dianetics explains everything, just like PFAL and it supplemental"collaterals" were all you need to understand life. What .BS.... Hubbard was egotistical like Wierwille, could do no wrong, Scavilage is like Martindale and Geer, authoritarian bullies.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner
word omited

Except Hubbard didn't pretend to be a Christian or that Scientology had anything to do with Christianity, unlike Jim Jones and People's Temple, David Koresh and Branch Davidians, Jehovah's Witness, and Hebert and Garner Ted Armstrong with Worldwide Church of God, or VPW and TWI which made such a claim and were more deceptive.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Except Hubbard didn't pretend to be a Christian or that Scientology had anything to do with Christianity, unlike Jim Jones and People's Temple, David Koresh and Branch Davidians, Jehovah's Witness, and Hebert and Garner Ted Armstrong with Worldwide Church of God, or VPW and TWI which made such a claim and were more deceptive.

Thomas, you have a point; LRH didn't pretend to be someone he wasn't.  If Scientology isn't a "Religion", than what is it??  

a business corporation/crony capitalism

• Upvote 1

A money laundering multi-purpose empire, That's Righhht kids. All for Hubbard/Wierwille instead of Jesus(gospel song hymn)

• Upvote 1

Hi GreaseSpotters! This thread is very good and very timely. Thank you everyone for contributing. In the near future I am giving another talk, this one titled "Life in a Cult: How I Lived and How I Escaped" which is sort of a Cliff Notes version of my own story. I will also include general info about high-demand, high-control groups of any kind. I've learned a lot about ways to communicate on this topic from the  International Cultic Studies Association

Lately I've run into people who, when they find out about my story, gasp and say "how did you ever get out?" as if I were held in chains in a basement. They've seen Leah R.'s show on T.V. and shudder that I was in a similar situation. What I emphasize are the psychological "chains" that held me for so long. They were just as real, at least to me ...

I admit I have not yet watched Leah's show ... just not ready to plunge back into the topic, but I will eventually. The similarities posted here between Scientology's tactics and TWI's are helpful guideposts. Again, thanks.

Warmest wishes,

Charlene

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, penworks said:

Hi GreaseSpotters! This thread is very good and very timely. Thank you everyone for contributing. In the near future I am giving another talk, this one titled "Life in a Cult: How I Lived and How I Escaped" which is sort of a Cliff Notes version of my own story. I will also include general info about high-demand, high-control groups of any kind. I've learned a lot about ways to communicate on this topic from the  International Cultic Studies Association

Lately I've run into people who, when they find out about my story, gasp and say "how did you ever get out?" as if I were held in chains in a basement. They've seen Leah R.'s show on T.V. and shudder that I was in a similar situation. What I emphasize are the psychological "chains" that held me for so long. They were just as real, at least to me ...

I admit I have not yet watched Leah's show ... just not ready to plunge back into the topic, but I will eventually. The similarities posted here between Scientology's tactics and TWI's are helpful guideposts. Again, thanks.

Warmest wishes,

Charlene

Pen, what is the name of your book??!!  I am starting my Christmas shopping, and your book is at the top of the list.  Thanks!!

On 1/17/2017 at 8:44 AM, skyrider said:

Gawd..........the inter-weaving connectivity of it all...........

• Paul Haggis.............introduced into scientology..............in London, Ontario, CANADA
  • Skyrider...................on twit-assignment & outreach........in London, Ontario, CANADA

For three years.......my wife and I lived at 1496 Geary Ave......in London, Ont.

Scientology.........a series of purges...........started this thread on December 9th.........

• Charlene's book, "Undertow" and scientology documentary ........that's why I decided to tell my background story of cult.

Sky, what an interesting story it has been!  Thanks for discussing it here at the GSC.  To me, it has been an eye-opener. You, your wfe, and sons have weathered some tough times in TWI, but seem to be good people in spite of all the garbage that TWI put you through.  I would have left long before you did, but I think you tried to help as many people as you could, as long as you could.  God will bless you for that, when the time comes.  

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend, the actress and former Scientologist received the Creative Arts Emmy award for best informational series or special for her A&E series, “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.” 

The actress thanked mom Vicki, who had brought her daughter into the Church of Scientology when Remini was a child.

“Mom, thank you. You are officially forgiven for getting us into a cult,” the former “King of Queens” star quipped in accepting the Emmy, according to Deadline. Her mother was in the audience to celebrate her daughter’s win, the media outlet reported.

Remini dedicated her Emmy to the “brave ones,” the former Scientologists who told their stories throughout the series. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/leah-remini-scientology-mother-emmy_us_59b56e9de4b0b5e53106d1e6

Edited by Rocky
add link

Tuesday nights episode is about David Scivage, present leader. Substitute Loy Craig Martindale or Christopher Geer and you get the idea.

So the latest episode I have watched is the one on "The Bridge".  This is basically Scientology's curriculum of studies and classes, designed to progress the inductee up the ladder several levels.  Level progress is required to be confirmed by auditing, done with the handheld device designed by L Ron Hubbard along with a kind of "lie detector" training for auditors.

Auditing packages are sold at $10k per 25 hours.  Progress up the chain of the "Bridge" goes up to a certain level where a person is called "clear".  This is the mission of all scientologists - to "clear" the planet.  All of this relates to controlling the animal mind and submitting to a stage of expensive audits.  Leah's mother spent well over a million dollars in reaching level OT VII - all these levels promise super-natural mind power.  Then the last 2 levels expose LRH's weird vision of extraterrestrial inhabitation and ruler in the past that we are all getting past.  Then the last level, after your money's all gone, OT VIII - pretty much tells people they are uniquely themselves just as they had arrived into Scientology.  (Of course, minus the fleecing, mind control, and all other negative aspects).

Also, after LRH dies, now later on later writings are "discovered" facilitating the need to re-define all of the "Bridge" materials, all the way down to the foundational books like Dianetics.  Members are subjected to the need to re-purchase class materials, re-take classes, and travel back up the "Bridge" again, but this time the new right way.

Questions are asked about progression along the "Bridge" such as each level has to be accompanied with a personal testament to the goal of the level, say "communicate with anybody about anything" is one example.  Or "Get to the point where your problems solve themselves".   So if a person after completing a level is not able to provide a testament to the benefits of that level to an acceptable degree, they are labeled a "suppressive person" and thus shunned by religion members and family.

So, parallels with the Way.

Where do I start?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

So the latest episode I have watched is the one on "The Bridge".  This is basically Scientology's curriculum of studies and classes, designed to progress the inductee up the ladder several levels.  Level progress is required to be confirmed by auditing, done with the handheld device designed by L Ron Hubbard along with a kind of "lie detector" training for auditors.

Auditing packages are sold at $10k per 25 hours.  Progress up the chain of the "Bridge" goes up to a certain level where a person is called "clear".  This is the mission of all scientologists - to "clear" the planet.  All of this relates to controlling the animal mind and submitting to a stage of expensive audits.  Leah's mother spent well over a million dollars in reaching level OT VII - all these levels promise super-natural mind power.  Then the last 2 levels expose LRH's weird vision of extraterrestrial inhabitation and ruler in the past that we are all getting past.  Then the last level, after your money's all gone, OT VIII - pretty much tells people they are uniquely themselves just as they had arrived into Scientology.  (Of course, minus the fleecing, mind control, and all other negative aspects).

Also, after LRH dies, now later on later writings are "discovered" facilitating the need to re-define all of the "Bridge" materials, all the way down to the foundational books like Dianetics.  Members are subjected to the need to re-purchase class materials, re-take classes, and travel back up the "Bridge" again, but this time the new right way.

Questions are asked about progression along the "Bridge" such as each level has to be accompanied with a personal testament to the goal of the level, say "communicate with anybody about anything" is one example.  Or "Get to the point where your problems solve themselves".   So if a person after completing a level is not able to provide a testament to the benefits of that level to an acceptable degree, they are labeled a "suppressive person" and thus shunned by religion members and family.

So, parallels with the Way.

Where do I start?

Chock, I didn't know this.  Thanks for information.:wave:

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

Re-purchase class materials, re-take classes.......

You mean like.........green class syllabi, then red class syllabi,

Someday, their kids and grandkids will take blue class syllabi, then black class syllabi..............:spy:

• Upvote 1

Tonight at my local library, only 4 days after Hurricane Irma reeked havoc in our town, about 20 people showed up for my presentation about cult life. I expected 2. Gee, do you think people are interested in cults? Duh. 

19 minutes ago, penworks said:

Tonight at my local library, only 4 days after Hurricane Irma reeked havoc in our town, about 20 people showed up for my presentation about cult life. I expected 2. Gee, do you think people are interested in cults? Duh. 

Penworks, that's wonderful!  If you ever come to DC, please let us know.

• Upvote 1

Well, I grew up in Salisbury, MD and have relatives in D.C. so I may get up there. Will let you know. Send me a message on my Contacts page through my website.

Tonight's episode is about famous celebrities like Cruise and Travolta. Strange that Wierwille and Martindale never tried to seduce Hollywood with their mumble jumbo talk about the Abundant Life, but I guess Dianetics worked because of no Jesus Christ, and TWI was a fundamentalist cornfield cult.

1 hour ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Tonight's episode is about famous celebrities like Cruise and Travolta. Strange that Wierwille and Martindale never tried to seduce Hollywood with their mumble jumbo talk about the Abundant Life, but I guess Dianetics worked because of no Jesus Christ, and TWI was a fundamentalist cornfield cult.

Twi went after celebs, including actors/actresses but even more so with professional athletes. The just didn't snag m/any big names. NFL stars Tony Collins and Irving Fryar and MLB utility player Tony Phillips.

However, PFLAP didn't keep those three out of trouble.