GreaseSpot Cafe

What are idols? 

God the person within!

01\14\2017

What are idols? 

The list is long and it is getting longer each moment of time because an idol is anything a person can worship. An image of anything a person can think and made with their hands no matter what is made of. Books can be idols most people worship the bible which is a false god to me and I know most might not agree with me.

Exodus 20:2-6

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

The book of Exodus has within itself these words “no likeness of anything” and a book the bible is part of anything. Otherwise the words were written by men of old but these words are just words until you made them live in your heart. The written word is nothing until it comes alive in your heart from you searching what is truth.

This truth lives within your heart because it has become truth within your heart because you agree with its truth. Otherwise God loved you and you love God back which is the circle of truth. The bible is a likeness of paper but what within my heart no man can read only me while might share with you in an outward way but I have control over what in my heart that I believe.

Romans 10:10

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

For with the person inner self that person believes unto truth and with the person out ward self that person confession of what the person believes unto salvation. It is that simple Truth is truth as what I believe is what I believe as what you believe is what you believe what is truth to might be lie to you and so on.

Roy Perry 

• Upvote 1

As with many words, there is no single, concise definition that covers all the many nuances that can be applied to it. To some, an idol represents something superior to them, something beyond replication, something that inspires awe. To others, an idol is something or someone to be  emulated, revered for excellence and given due respect. To yet others, the mention of idols may simply conjure up thoughts of physical entities, such as statues and monuments. It's all about context. 

• Upvote 1

interesting thread - and great thought provoking posts, Roy & Waysider !

i wanted to add a comment about the dynamics of control - i think it's a two way street...perhaps having an idol gives one a sense of control (this idol will bless my undertaking, give me power over my competition) - but I think in a way the idol also exerts some control on the person - in that one may feel compelled to satisfy some "trade agreement" with the idol...meaning if I have this fixation with money or power I will do whatever it takes to get that - no matter the cost of sacrifices in other areas of my life (friends, family, honesty, etc.)...and as Ezekiel 14:3 indicates - an idol can be something we've set up in our heart - no one else would be able to see this invisible idol - except for God of course.

Edited by T-Bone
ran out of time

When I was young, we had a youth  pastor and we were discussing this very thing. We weren't "getting it" so he said he would make it easy for us. He said.....an idol is anything you put in front of God. He then said...anything that keeps you from Him or takes His place in your lives.

Edited by krys
correct spelling
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...