GreaseSpot Cafe

Offshoots - Splinter Groups : How Many Are There?

I've been out of TWI since 1989 but never had a desire to join an offshoot. There are only 2 that I know anything about: CES(now STFI) and CFF.

This would be for someone who has time to kill... but what I am requesting is a list of all known offshoots and a brief description of each one such as the year it started, people who started it, etc.

Not to mention others who never were Corps grads - some never completed, and some never started Corps training.

• 2 months later...

Christian Research Fellowship in Destin, FL and Living Truth Fellowhip, an

off shoot of CES/S&TF

FIFTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allan!  (One being your own, no doubt, but who runs the rest?)

Of course, saying a group is a splinter group doesn't tell us how big the group is, just that it exists. I know of about 4-5 people (possibly less, now) of extreme ex-twi that I presume still meet in a living room weekly.  If so, they count as a splinter group.  I bet quite a few of the splinters all meet at once in a living room.  So, yes 15 splinters is nothing. We could have 15 splinters meet in my apt bldg and each one meet on a different floor!

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:57 AM, WordWolf said:

Of course, saying a group is a splinter group doesn't tell us how big the group is, just that it exists. I know of about 4-5 people (possibly less, now) of extreme ex-twi that I presume still meet in a living room weekly.  If so, they count as a splinter group.  I bet quite a few of the splinters all meet at once in a living room.  So, yes 15 splinters is nothing. We could have 15 splinters meet in my apt bldg and each one meet on a different floor!

Which may answer wierwille's question "why division in the church?" - - church goers have to comply with posted maximum occupancy signs; "oh hi, bless you, we're maxed out here - why don't you try Guido's Twig Apartment C-6 on the third floor. Godspeed"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about anyone here, but splinters or any other organisation - I don't care.  Can't cope with these "festivals" and group meets such as that on the page that Raf has included.  My church puts on weekends with special speakers, and I always want to run a mile.  Part of my legacy of too many boring meetings run by TWI.  Sad really.  I'm probably missing out.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Twinky said:

I don't know about anyone here, but splinters or any other organisation - I don't care.  Can't cope with these "festivals" and group meets such as that on the page that Raf has included.  My church puts on weekends with special speakers, and I always want to run a mile.  Part of my legacy of too many boring meetings run by TWI.  Sad really.  I'm probably missing out.

I agree.  Someone contacted me recently to "have dinner" who is head of a local spin-off.  From what I've seen online, they are TWI-lite.  NO WAY!!!1  They even meet at the same place we used to have branch meetings.  Last thing I want is ACTIVITY.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just recently stumbled upon a site called Christian Outreach Fellowships, and a free class offered by them taught by Vince Finnegan.  That names sounds vaguely familiar, but I place from where.  Anyone here have any experience with him?

22 hours ago, Taxidev said:

I just recently stumbled upon a site called Christian Outreach Fellowships, and a free class offered by them taught by Vince Finnegan.  That names sounds vaguely familiar, but I place from where.  Anyone here have any experience with him?

Yes. Lots of us. He was early way corpse and a genuine hard a$$. OTOH, subsequent to his twi departure, some folks have had good experiences with him.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm.  Living Hope Ministries. "Living Hope International Ministries provides many services to the believer including Teaching, Counseling, and Fellowship."

Different... teaching, counseling and fellowship.  (Not that I'd want to be "counseled" by anyone ever associated in any form with TWI.)

I only said I thought Living Hope International Ministries was more cultish the TWI or the other offshoots is because one of their members told me I could lose my salvation for attending a Trinitarian church.  When I was with TWI,  I was basically told if I left it would ruin my life and I would no longer be in fellowship with God,  but was never told I would lose my salvation for it.  To me what this individual said was way worse and absurd than what any follower of TWI ever said.  That being said,  it could be that this individual does not represent Vince Finnegan and his ministry's viewpoint.  However the person who told me I was in danger of losing my salvation for attending a church is very dedicated and committed to Living Hope International Ministries.

17 minutes ago, modcat5 said:

Vince has been teaching that you could lose your salvation for at least 20 years.

--Raf posting.

I fellowship with a lot of Christians who believe somebody can lose their salvation.   Even though I disagree with them on this particular issue,  I have no problem working together with them.  The big problem I had was the reason this person from Vince Finnegan's offshoot told me I could lose my salvation.  He basically told me if I go with any group other than Vince's that would mean loss of salvation.  According to him,  you could lose your salvation for merely hanging out with a any Christian other than those who are following Vince..  To me,  that is far worse than anything I was ever told by anybody from TWI or the other offshoots.  I am just wondering if Vince holds the same viewpoint as one of his followers.  I am assuming the follower who told me I was going to lose my salvation for hanging out with Christians other than Vince's group got this idea from Vince's teaching.  

1 hour ago, cwb01 said:

The big problem I had was the reason this person from Vince Finnegan's offshoot told me I could lose my salvation.  He basically told me if I go with any group other than Vince's that would mean loss of salvation.

I believe this group got its name because of LCM claiming if you walk away from TWI you'd be a grease spot by midnight.  So, not much different.

9 hours ago, outandabout said:

Becoming Me, I would love to hear your story about growing up in TWI, rambling or otherwise. 

1 hour ago, cwb01 said:

I fellowship with a lot of Christians who believe somebody can lose their salvation.   Even though I disagree with them on this particular issue,  I have no problem working together with them.  The big problem I had was the reason this person from Vince Finnegan's offshoot told me I could lose my salvation.  He basically told me if I go with any group other than Vince's that would mean loss of salvation.  According to him,  you could lose your salvation for merely hanging out with a any Christian other than those who are following Vince..  To me,  that is far worse than anything I was ever told by anybody from TWI or the other offshoots.  I am just wondering if Vince holds the same viewpoint as one of his followers.  I am assuming the follower who told me I was going to lose my salvation for hanging out with Christians other than Vince's group got this idea from Vince's teaching.  

O1, Caca is caca, no matter who teaches it.

1 hour ago, Taxidev said:

I believe this group got its name because of LCM claiming if you walk away from TWI you'd be a grease spot by midnight.  So, not much different.

LOL.  I think I would rather be a "grease spot" than lose my salvation.  In any case,  I guess trying to compare the two is kind of like having  to compare a hard stool with diarrhea - or having to compare republicans with democrats (now you know how I feel about both political parties).

1 hour ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

O1, Caca is caca, no matter who teaches it.

I still believe there will be a new earth for those who have accepted Jesus Christ as lord and savior.  There wont be so much caca there.  There is just too much caca in this present world,.

3 hours ago, cwb01 said:

LOL.  I think I would rather be a "grease spot" than lose my salvation.  In any case,  I guess trying to compare the two is kind of like having  to compare a hard stool with diarrhea - or having to compare republicans with democrats (now you know how I feel about both political parties).

For the record, politics is off limits at GSC. But I understand how you feel about the labels.

Btw, there's a discussion on the Doctrinal forum here about whether a believer can lose his/her salvation.

My position is that the notion is so absurd that picking apart bible verses to figure out if it's true or not is a complete waste of one's time (life).

I believe you are correct in labeling Finnigan's offshoot as more cultish. The entire idea (of losing salvation) if believed can logically ONLY lead a person to bondage to abusive religious cults.