GreaseSpot Cafe

WHY It all came to an end. It's not your fault.

rodneyomccarthy

It wasn't just "The Way" that ended in the 80's. EVERYTHING came to an end...The Jesus movement was over in the late 70's.

Calvary Chapel began not with Chuck Smith, but with the Hippy Preacher "Lonnie Frisbee", the reason that is not stated much by many, is because of the struggle that many claimed Lonnie endured with was homosexuality. Yet God used him mightily. Thousand came to Calvery Chapel

Why did all these Ministries even though active dry up? Because the Jesus movement ended and the Spirit lifted. IF that is not true, why did the same occur in 1908 with Seymore, and after the 1940's movement  also. The scriptures didn't change, people lived prior to and after the movements, But God lifted His presence.

I used to think maybe the answer might be home churches…

I wish it was this easy, home churches were real big on the east coast in the Jesus movement, and I always thought it was a step in the right direction...

But...It is still the same thing, only on a smaller scale.

Men formatting a program, singers singing, prayers praying, leaders leading, ministers preaching.... While the body is sitting in the pew or couches.

It all has to change..

Body ministry, and body life, as described in the NT is NOT what we see today in the present church system...

We see a glimpse of this kind of change when Jesus came onto the scene and made the religion of the Pharisees irrelevant, when he did his first miracle...

The revealing of the true Church (whoever these people are), will make present day Christianity (churchianity/the system) irrelevant too.

We find it strange that God uses sinners, why?

We were sinners before Jesus was found in us. Look at the O.T full of sinners used of God. Satan was in the garden, in God's presence. God created evil, and the devil. WHY? SO THE FALL COULD HAPPEN.

No fall in the garden, no Jesus, no sacrifice, no heavenly supper, no resurrection. Still not convinced? Then answer this, you know this story, but let me rephrase it.

God controls everything, even evil. No matter how uncomfortable that makes us it is true.

One day David says to God. "I want to build you a house." God says "No!" "But you will have a son in the future who will build me my house".

Is this true?

Yes it is, and who was this promised son, this son of prophecy, this future son, this spoken word son, this god prophesied son.

This son, was Solomon… Now watch God fulfill his own word of promise, His own prophetic word to David.

One day David was overlooking his kingdom, and while on his rooftop, he sees a beautiful woman, bathing herself. David says "who is that woman" his servant says that is Bathsheba, the wife of your servant Uriah. David says "get her for me".

Then they have relations, (fornicate and commit adultery)…And from this union surrounded by sin and deceit, comes the God promised, prophesied, spoken word, son, named Solomon.

So do we have a problem with God using sin to complete His words? Do we have a problem with God creating evil for His purposes?

How about Moses, Moses kills a man, so he can meet God at the burning bush. Consider this man that Moses killed, this man was at the right place at the right time. What if this man had chosen to take a different path to work, or had an extra cup of tea, or went to visit the pharaoh that day. No that man had to be just at the right place at the right time to fulfill God's plan and promises.
Consider Romans CH 9:

Paul sets about with a wonderful description of God's plan and sovereignty. The Jews understand Paul so well they scream "Who then can resist His will, and why does God then blame us".

And what does Paul say to them as a reply. Does Paul say "My brothers I am so sorry, you have misunderstood my point about God's sovereignty".

NO! Paul retorts, "Who are you to answer back to God".

From what I've read Fundamentalism, Charismatic, Evangelical groups came in waves or movements over the past 100-150 years in response to secular happenings.  VPW likely was opportunistic among these with  his TWI  and rode one wave.  Something may have ended in 80s.  But something else took it's place.  TWI was not self-aware enough adapt and change.  Thankfully.

Rodneyomcarthy:  You are wrong!  God does not control evil.

If you want to continue this discussion, take it to our Doctrinal Forum but I won't be there. Methinks your mind is made up and who am I to try to convince you otherwise!

love, kys

On 8/19/2017 at 7:57 PM, rodneyomccarthy said:

It wasn't just "The Way" that ended in the 80's. EVERYTHING came to an end...The Jesus movement was over in the late 70's.

Hi Rodney,

Definitely many things ended in the 80's.  Including:

1. The Mullet

2. The 2nd Generation Trans Am

3. Hair bands

4. Dirty Dancing

5. Knight Rider with the Hoff

6. Laverne & Shirley

7. Miami Vice

8. Van Halen with David Lee Roth

9. Rick Rolling - "Never Gonna Give You Up"

10.  George Michael's Fame

While each and every one of these are a tragedy in their own right, I just don't want to over-spiritualize and try and draw a pattern or anything.

:jump:

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Hi Rodney,

Definitely many things ended in the 80's.  Including:

1. The Mullet

2. The 2nd Generation Trans Am

3. Hair bands

4. Dirty Dancing

5. Knight Rider with the Hoff

6. Laverne & Shirley

7. Miami Vice

8. Van Halen with David Lee Roth

9. Rick Rolling - "Never Gonna Give You Up"

10.  George Michael's Fame

While each and every one of these are a tragedy in their own right, I just don't want to over-spiritualize and try and draw a pattern or anything.

:jump:

Chock, I didn't like Miami Vice, but I hated it when the show ended.  I loved the car featured in the opening scenes. Not seeing that beautiful, Italian car every week really ticked me off!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yo! CharlieMc.......ooops......rodneyomccarthy. Wow! You need to avoid revisionist Christian propaganda and cults. Maybe this will help? Try it! You may like it! It is certainly more thought-provoking and entertaining than your "much ado about nothing", IMO. Watch the whole thing..........peace.

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
  • Upvote 1