GreaseSpot Cafe

What are some of your all-time-favorite movies?

T-Bone

Hey Raf

“Shattered Glass” sounds interesting – I looked it up on IMDB and after reading Roger Ebert’s review (giving it 3.5 stars out of 4) – and knowing it’s based on a true story - I definitely would like to check it out. Ebert even said it deserves comparison with “All the President’s Men”…That’s saying a lot.

Roger Ebert's review of Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass on IMDB

besides the fact that it has Chloe Sevigny – I love her work – first time I noticed her was in HBO’s “Big Love” as one of Bill Paxton’s sister-wives – man oh man – I would often say to my wife her character is definitely way corps material  :biglaugh: - - also she does great in a comedy format `- maybe you’ve seen her on “Portlandia”. There is something so convincing about the intensity she brings to a role.

Thinking of movies about journalists, reporters and such  - here's my short list of some good thrillers / entertainment / drama - in my opinion (some fiction, some based on true stories) – I have all these and will watch them at least once a year...in no particular order:

as mentioned above All the President's Men

To Die For

Good Luck and Good Night

Nightcrawler

Spotlight

Almost Famous

Broadcast News

Absence of Malice

State of Play

Edited by T-Bone
needed more time in the editing room :)
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Hey Raf

“Shattered Glass” sounds interesting – I looked it up on IMDB and after reading Roger Ebert’s review (giving it 3.5 stars out of 4) – and knowing it’s based on a true story - I definitely would like to check it out. Ebert even said it deserves comparison with “All the President’s Men”…That’s saying a lot.

Roger Ebert's review of Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass on IMDB

besides the fact that it has Chloe Sevigny – I love her work – first time I noticed her was in HBO’s “Big Love” as one of Bill Paxton’s sister-wives – man oh man – I would often say to my wife her character is definitely way corps material  :biglaugh: - - also she does great in a comedy format `- maybe you’ve seen her on “Portlandia”. There is something so convincing about the intensity she brings to a role.

Thinking of movies about journalists, reporters and such  - here's my short list of some good thrillers / entertainment / drama - in my opinion (some fiction, some based on true stories) – I have all these and will watch them at least once a year...in no particular order:

as mentioned above All the President's Men

To Die For

Good Luck and Good Night

Nightcrawler

Spotlight

Almost Famous

Broadcast News

Absence of Malice

State of Play

T-Bone, I haven't seen all of the movies, on your list, but I have seen most of them.  I think you have excellent taste in movies!  Pop corn, and hot cocoa please!

I don't typically watch journalism movies because they get

so

much

wrong.

But Shattered Glass is an exception because it's focused and doesn't pretend to be more than it is. It's not The Fate of The World or lives at stake or anything. It's about what journalism IS, what it's supposed to be, and how vulnerable it is to corruption.

It's also over before you know it. 

3 hours ago, Raf said:

I don't typically watch journalism movies because they get

so

much

wrong.

But Shattered Glass is an exception because it's focused and doesn't pretend to be more than it is. It's not The Fate of The World or lives at stake or anything. It's about what journalism IS, what it's supposed to be, and how vulnerable it is to corruption.

It's also over before you know it. 

Ya know, I get that...it’s like when I’m watching a movie and see someone defeating an access control point on a door by shooting or blasting or using a jumper wire at the keypad or card reader....uhm those systems are a lot more complicated than that - unless you’re talking about a jerry-rigged do-it-yourself design for your garage door opener. :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone
Accuracy

12 Angry Men = 24 examples of juror misconduct.

The Untouchables: Not even in 1930s Chicago can a judge remove a jury from one trial and replace it with a jury from another trial. Not even in 1930s Chicago can a defense lawyer decide, without consulting his client, to withdraw a not guilty plea and enter a plea of guilty. Holy crap!

My Cousin Vinny: Ok, I got nothing on My Cousin Vinny. Law schools use it to teach, for f-s sake, who am I to critique it?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Raf said:

My Cousin Vinny: Ok, I got nothing on My Cousin Vinny. Law schools use it to teach, for f-s sake, who am I to critique it?

I did not know that. 

And let's not forget that Marisa Tomei won an Academy Award for her performance.  Nothing against the lovely Marisa, but that must have been a SLOW year.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Not to get to far away from our point but, I think Marisa Tomei is a wonderful actress and her performance is what  brought her the Academy Award.  Anna Paquin also received an Oscar for The Piano when she was only 11 yr.old.  Hollywood and audiences both alike love a fresh new face on the big screen.   Anyway, I'm getting away from the topic.

I'm looking through my Vudu account for some more favorites. I'm not going to include blockbusters. Those are like R,S,T,L,N and E on Wheel of Fortune. Just get them out of the way.

Here are some others you may or may not have even seen:

Benny and Joon

Creed (the best Rocky movie since Rocky)

Good Will Hunting

The Edge (Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin and Bart the Bear)

Shattered Glass

Quick Change

Manhunter (aka, the first Hannibal Lecter movie, which starred Brian Cox, not Anthony Hopkins).

Finding Forrester

Heat (Pacino and DeNiro's first on-screen meeting)

Groundhog Day

Dead Poets Society

The Dead Zone

Halloween

Raf,

HEAT – the relationship between the good guys and the bad guys is so fascinating – like almost in a weird way they “need” each other or something... I don’t know…but it’s also a great action movie.

Creed – yup – I mentioned earlier Rocky I, III and Creed are my favs…and to me Creed is just about as emotionally engaging as Rocky I.

Groundhog Day & Quick Change – both very enjoyable Bill Murray movies; I also liked him in St. Vincent, Lost in Translation, and Moonrise Kingdom.

Good Will Hunting & Dead Poets Society – I really like the serious roles of Robin Williams…a few others come to mind – What Dreams May Come, Awakenings, and The Fisher King

== == ==

George & Human WTB

glad you all mentioned Marisa Tomei - - I liked her in The Wrestler, The Big Short, The Ides of March, Slums of Beverly Hills – and of course My Cousin Vinny. ..and yeah I forgot that Anna Paquin was in The Piano – she kind of had a key role in the plot.