GreaseSpot Cafe

The Present Truth

WordWolf

Whenever twi had a doctrine or a practice based entirely on a single verse, you can rest assured that the verse said nothing like what they said it said.  It was taken out of context, or the awkward King James English could be creatively misunderstood to supposedly support a claim that it didn't support at all.

I think it was originally Goey here who pointed out this particular lie.  twi taught that the truth CHANGED- that the truth that is current, or "present" is different from the truth that was ("the past") and the truth that will be (the "future.")    The problem here, of course is that the awkward King James English can be misunderstood, and the English word "PRESENT" has 3 different meanings, all in general use:    1) the current time (not the past nor the future)      2) the physical location right here (present here, similar to "presence", and people announce they are "present")        3) a gift (receiving presents)

The entire doctrine that there is a truth today- a "present truth"- is based ENTIRELY on one verse and is not repeated anywhere else- which should get one suspicious if nothing else.

2 Peter 1:12King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.

Does it mean that the truth now is different from the truth of the past or the future?   No, it's referring to the truth that is HERE, physically PRESENT.  The truth is here! No need to wait for the truth-here it is!    It's obvious when you check out other English versions.

2 Peter 1:12American Standard Version (ASV)

12 Wherefore I shall be ready always to put you in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and are established in the truth which is with you.

2 Peter 1:12Good News Translation (GNT)

12 And so I will always remind you of these matters, even though you already know them and are firmly grounded in the truth you have received.

2 Peter 1:12New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.

2 Peter 1:12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

12 Therefore I intend to keep on reminding you of these things, though you know them already and are established in the truth that has come to you.

twi doesn't get to "strike and replace" truths and contradict Scripture with a claim that this new "truth"(new lie)  is now the "present truth"(present lie) based on this verse-or on anything else for that matter. This won't stop them, because they care more about serving themselves than serving God, and think that an objective truth has no value because it's not something they can control, and can't serve them.

Edited by WordWolf
Formatting error.
  • Upvote 1

There's a lot to be gained from reading different versions of the Bible.  Some come with a different theology attached (translating "it" for "he" to make Jesus = God, for example).  There's an abundance of new versions available, some of dubious scholarship.  As with any document, never forget to root it in the language of the time it was put together.  Language is not once-for-ever; words do change meanings, sometimes very significantly.

TWI only used AV [KJV] because they could poach Bullinger's work.  You could almost say that Bullinger was the Research Dept for TWI.

• Upvote 1

Interesting topic. The present truth was supposed to be whatever teachings revolved around the yearly theme, at least in my time from 96 to 08. After craig was ousted, rosie further centralized what could  be taught right down to the fellowship level. She set the yearly theme based on God knows what inclination. Then the way mag n Sunday service teachers were assigned topics and micromanaged at every turn. Fellowship coordinators were required to attend planning meetings to reteach sts and way mag topics. Thus the present truth became whatever was coming from hq, micromanage down to supposedly self governing home fellowships. 

They even have a way productions song called the present truth. To quote part of the lyrics:

"We focus on the teachings of our leadership, holding them fast instead of letting them slip."

• Upvote 1

The "present truth" gained steam around 1994......as martindale scoffed at former leaders and twi-musicians and their old-wineskin material.  And especially, when the yearly theme [1995/1996] was "The Promised Land of the Prevailing Word"............or something like that.  In other words, keep your eyes focused on the here and now!  The current times and circumstances demand "present truth" proclamation.....from whence the spirit of God is at work in grand poohbear, martindale.

"Present Truth" = Red Syllabi.........WAP series.

Martindale got ousted.  Rosalie sat in big chair.  Twi re-established grand wizardry.....grand mog-status to wierwille and the bedazzled followers continued to be mesmerized by the flames of idle, ....idol-glory.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Whenever twi had a doctrine or a practice based entirely on a single verse, you can rest assured that the verse said nothing like what they said it said.  It was taken out of context, or the awkward King James English could be creatively misunderstood to supposedly support a claim that it didn't support at all.

I think it was originally Goey here who pointed out this particular lie.  twi taught that the truth CHANGED- that the truth that is current, or "present" is different from the truth that was ("the past") and the truth that will be (the "future.")    The problem here, of course is that the awkward King James English can be misunderstood, and the English word "PRESENT" has 3 different meanings, all in general use:    1) the current time (not the past nor the future)      2) the physical location right here (present here, similar to "presence", and people announce they are "present")        3) a gift (receiving presents)

The entire doctrine that there is a truth today- a "present truth"- is based ENTIRELY on one verse and is not repeated anywhere else- which should get one suspicious if nothing else.

2 Peter 1:12King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.

Does it mean that the truth now is different from the truth of the past or the future?   No, it's referring to the truth that is HERE, physically PRESENT.  The truth is here! No need to wait for the truth-here it is!    It's obvious when you check out other English versions.

2 Peter 1:12American Standard Version (ASV)

12 Wherefore I shall be ready always to put you in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and are established in the truth which is with you.

2 Peter 1:12Good News Translation (GNT)

12 And so I will always remind you of these matters, even though you already know them and are firmly grounded in the truth you have received.

2 Peter 1:12New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.

2 Peter 1:12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

12 Therefore I intend to keep on reminding you of these things, though you know them already and are established in the truth that has come to you.

twi doesn't get to "strike and replace" truths and contradict Scripture with a claim that this new "truth"(new lie)  is now the "present truth"(present lie) based on this verse-or on anything else for that matter. This won't stop them, because they care more about serving themselves than serving God, and think that an objective truth has no value because it's not something they can control, and can't serve them.

I'm wondering if TWI's thinking goes along the lines of situational ethics

Philosophy.org on situational ethics

Wikipedia on situational ethics

Edited by T-Bone
clarity and compacting quote
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, waysider said:

Evolving self delusion.

Yeah......moving into "present truth" doctrine was simply the evolution of a cult.

With each passing year, the cult leader garnered more allegiance......and his/her words were lauded and repeated in teachings and mag articles.  Substitute "present truth" with dianetics..........and, what difference does it make?

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

Yeah......moving into "present truth" doctrine was simply the evolution of a cult.

With each passing year, the cult leader garnered more allegiance......and his/her words were lauded and repeated in teachings and mag articles.  Substitute "present truth" with dianetics..........and, what difference does it make?

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Dianetics is a much cooler sounding word though....lol

I think in  TWI's case we should call it Diarrhea-tics

Edited by T-Bone
Refinement
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:07 AM, OldSkool said:

Interesting topic. The present truth was supposed to be whatever teachings revolved around the yearly theme, at least in my time from 96 to 08. After craig was ousted, rosie further centralized what could  be taught right down to the fellowship level. She set the yearly theme based on God knows what inclination. Then the way mag n Sunday service teachers were assigned topics and micromanaged at every turn. Fellowship coordinators were required to attend planning meetings to reteach sts and way mag topics. Thus the present truth became whatever was coming from hq, micromanage down to supposedly self governing home fellowships. 

They even have a way productions song called the present truth. To quote part of the lyrics:

"We focus on the teachings of our leadership, holding them fast instead of letting them slip."

that lyric made me feel a little sick

On 9/12/2017 at 6:07 AM, OldSkool said:

I focus on throwing up in my mouth a little bit, spitting it in the toilet so I can stop thinking about that sh1!

See?  Lyric writing not that hard.

:drink:

:jump:

• Upvote 1