GreaseSpot Cafe

It's Been A Long Tyme...

Jeffmassey

Hello,Cafe Patrons...

My name IS Jeff Massey,and currently living in Columbia,Missouri (used to be misery).

I was born ag'in back in '81 or so at Ft.Bragg,N.C. I remember being so nervous aboot SIT for the first tyme.For days after,I could hear this constant dialogue of strange language runnin' thru my head,although the Twig leaders said it was nothin'.A while later,the small voices got quiet,as did my heart,or so I thought. Life with the WOWs then was one hellish roller coaster ride of don'ts,shouldn'ts,and know-your-place's. Wound up living 4 to an apartment off post with "Jeff","Glenn",and"Wallace(Wally);all of us were Active Military.Jeff was Family Leader. He kept a tight rein on me and Wally,and Glenn was #2 in rank. We were told to read the paperback books from PFAL class,without any help or advice. Eventually transferred to Germany,as a MOA. Yeah,what a joke... No support,expected to travel to events miiiless away,and bring new blood into TWI. Okay,with what? My good looks? No supplies or followup instruction. Stuck it out for a couple months,then wrote in with my resignation. Was told I would NOT be given-up on,and hang in there. This was 82 to 83. Discharged,moved to Jefferson City and lived with "David" and "Diana",the Bitch from Hell.Diana eventually flipped out,and left us with living expenses,paid by Way of Missouri. '85,decided to go WOW and was sent to Indio,CA. with "Bruce","Bill", and"Eugene".Had problems relating with local believers,thought not for lack of trying.Returned to Jefferson City,then Columbia.Roomied with "Teresa"and "Ricky".Teresa l8r became my wife. Went to local fellowship,maybe did a class,and then quit going altogether. That was aboot 87,and all I remember was the ANGER coming out of TWI HQ. So,did I miss much?

4 hours ago, Jeffmassey said:

Hello,Cafe Patrons...

My name IS Jeff Massey,and currently living in Columbia,Missouri (used to be misery).

I was born ag'in back in '81 or so at Ft.Bragg,N.C. I remember being so nervous aboot SIT for the first tyme.For days after,I could hear this constant dialogue of strange language runnin' thru my head,although the Twig leaders said it was nothin'.A while later,the small voices got quiet,as did my heart,or so I thought. Life with the WOWs then was one hellish roller coaster ride of don'ts,shouldn'ts,and know-your-place's. Wound up living 4 to an apartment off post with "Jeff","Glenn",and"Wallace(Wally);all of us were Active Military.Jeff was Family Leader. He kept a tight rein on me and Wally,and Glenn was #2 in rank. We were told to read the paperback books from PFAL class,without any help or advice. Eventually transferred to Germany,as a MOA. Yeah,what a joke... No support,expected to travel to events miiiless away,and bring new blood into TWI. Okay,with what? My good looks? No supplies or followup instruction. Stuck it out for a couple months,then wrote in with my resignation. Was told I would NOT be given-up on,and hang in there. This was 82 to 83. Discharged,moved to Jefferson City and lived with "David" and "Diana",the Bitch from Hell.Diana eventually flipped out,and left us with living expenses,paid by Way of Missouri. '85,decided to go WOW and was sent to Indio,CA. with "Bruce","Bill", and"Eugene".Had problems relating with local believers,thought not for lack of trying.Returned to Jefferson City,then Columbia.Roomied with "Teresa"and "Ricky".Teresa l8r became my wife. Went to local fellowship,maybe did a class,and then quit going altogether. That was aboot 87,and all I remember was the ANGER coming out of TWI HQ. So,did I miss much?

Yeah, missed just a little bit. Much of it is chronicled in the About the Way forum. Let us know if you need anything... soon, someone will come along and offer you a cup of coffee and a tasty dessert. Welcome Jeff.

Welcome to Grease Spot, Jeff

I left in ’86 and come here to catch up on the stuff I missed – though I wouldn’t say I’ve been missing it

Have a cup of cappuccino on me and check out the threads in About the Way forum

Hi. Here's a quick primer on a few things you missed.

80s- lcm demanded an oath of loyalty from everyone- 4/5 of the current membership responded by getting up and walking out. Most joined their leadership who refused to swear anything.  (When asked, he confirmed verbally it was an oath to follow him BLINDLY.)

90s- lcm tried to erase vpw and replace vpw on everything.  His Mrs and Rosalie Rivenbark  did all the real thinking for him.  After a few years of him yelling and cursing, he got caught when some woman he molested went to the cops.  twi settled out of court, and Donna and Rosalie took over twi.   Messageboards leading to this one were formed when all that happened.  

00s- group got INCREDIBLY boring and bleached of all interest. Rfr insists on holding all the power so she can't be pushed out like she pushed out lcm, and she has no personality to speak of.  Group continues to hemorrhage members.

10s- rfr finally steps down and names a successor she has in her pocket. 

BTW, splinter groups exist. Many were from top twiérs who wanted all the money and power.  Some are just local meetings that don't include twi anymore.  And groups still split off from time to time, with another set of leaders leaving about a year ago.

Nearly everyone once involved with twi is not connected with twi now, nor any splinters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,Allan!

Basically,hoomans are social creatures and we need to be around others.

To be"shelved" or "pigeonholed" becausd one didn't take the right class,or <talk the talk>, just crushed 

any desire to keep going to Fellowships. And the "I don't know you" attitude outside of Fellowships

was the last straw. In Eastern societies,citizens are more open to meet and talk to strangers,and I find that refreshing!

Jeff.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2017 at 11:19 PM, Jeffmassey said:

Hello,Cafe Patrons...

Hi Jeff!!  My name is Grace Claire, and I too am a Veteran; US Navy 1985-1990.  Welcome to the Cafe; I love hearing from new people; especially Veterans.  It sounds like you had some interesting times in both the military, and TWI.  

On 11/25/2017 at 9:39 AM, waysider said:

Have one of THESE on the house.

Did you miss anything?

That depends on your perspective. From my point of view, you can consider yourself one of the lucky ones.,

Way, yes, it does depend on your perspective.  But I think people who left TWI, are "lucky" in various ways.  I left quietly, I don't think anyone knew I left.  However, some people left under different circumstances, and their names were trashed.  How loving, and "Christian" of TWI.

Grace,thank you for your service. Have you reconnecred with other "greasespots" yet?

I believe the way we live our lives tells others more aboot us as Christians than saying the right buzzwords. Hell,I still cuss up a storm occasionally,but it isn't what is in my heart.

People are GLAD to see me now,because they know I keep my word. Whether at work or at home.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jeffmassey said:

Grace,thank you for your service. Have you reconnecred with other "greasespots" yet?

I believe the way we live our lives tells others more aboot us as Christians than saying the right buzzwords. Hell,I still cuss up a storm occasionally,but it isn't what is in my heart.

People are GLAD to see me now,because they know I keep my word. Whether at work or at home.

Jeff, do you know Paul Norcross?  He was the head of Military Outreach in TWI.  He and his wife Rita were my first Twig Leaders 40 years ago in Va. Beach.  They were wonderful people then, and they still are wonderful people.  Thank you for your Service.  What branch were you in?  Marines?

3 hours ago, Jeffmassey said:

Grace,I was Active Army 79 to 83, IRR for 6 more years. I know of Paul Norcross,but have not met in person.

Back then,TWI leaders were considered "untouchable". Sad,innit?

Jeff, good for you!!  I joined the Navy in 1985; what a trip!!  Paul and his wife Rita, are wonderful Christians; kind, and truly loving.  I know TWI had some terrible leaders like VPW, and LCM, but it also had some wonderful leaders like Paul Norcross.  When I think about my time in TWI, I know I met some wonderful people, that I still keep in touch with.  But Jeff, you are right; some of TWI'S leaders were not so good.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Jeff, good for you!!  I joined the Navy in 1985; what a trip!!  Paul and his wife Rita, are wonderful Christians; kind, and truly loving.  I know TWI had some terrible leaders like VPW, and LCM, but it also had some wonderful leaders like Paul Norcross.  When I think about my time in TWI, I know I met some wonderful people, that I still keep in touch with.  But Jeff, you are right; some of TWI'S leaders were not so good

I think this is a healthy way to look at it. Never let the bad experiences and relationships you had in TWI blind you to the good ones.

That's my opinion, at least.

• Like 2

That’s some good wisdom, Waysider

I think it’s a sign of growth…especially in developing critical thinking skills when you can reflect on ANY phase of your life to not only be able to draw out lessons learned but to savor the good experiences and relationships…you can’t redo the past – but you can certainly garner insight, inspiration, and a million things as your depth of reflection grows.

Being raised a Roman Catholic, I first found enjoyment in just reading the Bible and learning biblical Greek through TWI. Probably should have left shortly after that – when my local leadership kept redirecting my attention to review PFAL  material rather than pursuing any personal interests with the Bible…met some great people along the way too – including my wife – still married to her after some 41 years.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2017 at 4:10 AM, Jeffmassey said:

WordWolf,that was quite a Timeline! I believe now I can let my Light shine again. God Bless Y'all!(yeah,it's in the Bible..lol)

Technically, there's more details, but most people need to know the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg, not the name of the helmsman when it struck, or who was in charge of the lifeboats, and so on.  There's a lot of little things that happened (not so little if they happened to you), and you might want to read around about some of them. Or you may not because it's not worth it to you.   Either way, feel free to stick around!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Technically, there's more details, but most people need to know the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg, not the name of the helmsman when it struck, or who was in charge of the lifeboats, and so on.  There's a lot of little things that happened (not so little if they happened to you), and you might want to read around about some of them. Or you may not because it's not worth it to you.   Either way, feel free to stick around!

WordWolf,thanks. Yes,those "little things" happened here in Columbia. It's like the saying,<Death by a thousand paper cuts>.

The deepest one that hurt the worst was when my Wife,who was going in for a major surgery,asked a fellow believer's wife for some advice.

She said that she "was too busy to be bothered"by my wife's questions. Well,if we could not lean on fellow believers for support,then what's the 

use of going to fellowships at all?

We were still pretty new to Columbia back then,and did not have the network of friends we have now.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 10,"ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

The Adversary sure leveled this town after the fall of TWI.

Edited by Jeffmassey
Misspellings

Jeff, I am surprised they didn't tell your wife that she should "believe God" instead of having surgery. That is the sort of abuse a friend of mine in Columbia. Although surgery was not an option for him to fix his problem, he got shunned because "after all these years" he had not gotten delivered from his degenerative eye disease. What an effed up bunch of leadershit that place had.

• Upvote 1

What was the use of going to fellowships at all?  TO YOU, not much. It was meant to be a revenue and advertising source that benefited twi.

Since it was in homes, there was zero costs. It brought in donations, taught tithing, and advertised twi's books, tapes, and classes, all of which were organized to turn a profit.  So, they wanted you to show up. advertise for twi stuff, pay money, and go home.  Actually helping you wasn't good for twi's bottom line. twi was never an actual ministry, it's always been a business designed to turn a profit.  Other Christians might be concerned with a prophet, but to twi, there's only profit.

Edited by WordWolf
Formatted wrong.
  • Upvote 1