GreaseSpot Cafe

vpw's mediocre intellectual accomplishments.

WordWolf

It's been suggested that vpw was in some way impressive intellectually, that he was above average in some intellectual fashion.

Let's take a look at the evidence at hand, shall we?

vpw was never known to be any sort of honor student. All claims about him and hard work seem to be people saying he DIDN'T do hard work.  That's a negative- but when vpw was proud to trumpet his smallest achievements, a telling one when he has none to wave at others.

vpw finished college, and did a Masters at Princeton Theological Seminary. In a place where there's lots of RIGOROUS fields of study, he chose HOMILETICS- how to preach- which is undoubtedly the softest option possible. (One can learn to preach without going to school for it, just by working with preachers. Fields like Church History would take some real study time.)   It was a real school, but he took the softest degree there.   His last stop was a degree mill to get a Doctorate from an unaccredited institution.  What does that mean? It means he got a Doctorate from a source lacking accreditation, a vetting process that guarantees the degree is worth the paper it's printed on.  What's the difference? I have THREE unaccredited degrees. That makes me TRIPLE the fake "Doctor" that vpw was.  None of our "degrees" guarantees any level of intellectual skill or even accomplishment.  So, that's it for his academic career.

So, he has an actual Masters from a real school, in a really soft option. Academically, that's his highest point. 

After school, he preached, and complained about having been :"MADE" to go to he Bible and study each week to prepare a sermon each week.  What a remarkable way to refer to it!  He wasn't HAPPY to spend hour after hour there, excited when new insights arrived. (I've been there, and I wasn't a preacher.)  He did it because he had no other choice in doing his job as a preacher.

He also served as a proofreader and editor at a Christian written publication.  He really liked to skip over that one. Why?  He was exposed to the complete research of LOTS of young Christian teachers and researchers.   Quite a useful thing to have access to. If he wanted to skip reading the Bible for himself- which he accidentally let slip he did- he could just plagiarize all those writers from the pulpit, and they'd never find out.  What- do you think someone just wakes up one morning and his career switches to plagiarist?  No- he was plagiarizing for some time before he discovered Stiles and Leonard. That's why he didn't have a crisis of conscience before plagiarizing them. 

What was vpw's entire goal in BECOMING a minister?  He once told a minister he wanted to be one like him. Someone preached and he said that. He obviously didn't mean the part about LEARNING because he never pursued that. He wanted to preach and be in charge. In one of his accounts of his supposed 1942 promise (which was all an exposable lie), his first reaction was not that his congregation would be blessed- his first thought was that EVERYONE WOULD LISTEN TO HIM.  Whether this incident happened or not, his own claim is that this would be his first thought.

Small wonder vpw relied on sermons, invented stories, and outright plagiarism to make a name for himself. He was in it solely for the adulation and the steady work.  The plagiarism was unapologetic because without it, he'd have to actually work and think. He preferred to lie and cheat instead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bingo. You stumbled upon the truth. I was a music major, I had to practice percussion and later on organ, participate in band(both marching and concert), orchestra, and choral. Plus I and other music majors had to give a jury, semester mini recital before the entire music faculty to get a BA, later supplemented to the equivalent of a BSM with a certificate. I worked harder than Wierwille ever did.

• Like 2

Great posts WordWolf and Thomas !

You got me thinking how wierwille was into shortcuts and didn’t want to devote a whole lot of time and effort to develop himself as a teacher or pastor…he wanted to go straight for the power and glory of being in charge…

In my opinion, his shallow thinking and shortcut cheating were part of a mindset he fostered in The Way International. New PFAL grads often had this bible-know-it-all attitude and believed they could run rings around any preacher outside of TWI…I also saw this quite a bit in the faculty and students of the corps leadership training program…by then the mindset is usually entrenched.

Sometimes we still see vestiges of that way-mindset when certain folks come on Grease Spot and act all indignant because many folks here no longer use wierwille’s mangled yardstick to measure the validity of anything - but simply put - many Grease Spotters have done the due diligence in references outside of TWI, personal Bible study, etc. and exercised critical thinking to see through errors in PFAL, wierwille's "logic", TWI-doctrine and practices.

Edited by T-Bone
details
  • Upvote 2

It's fascinating sometimes what he wanted to take credit for, and compare it to reality.

vpw claimed to have gotten the original idea for fast food. 

Chock Full O'Nuts (among other companies) claims to have a piece of that history. During the Great Depression, they switched from a gourmet nut shop (useless in a Depression) immediately to a sandwich and coffee shop, and because of that, claim to have invented fast food. (They used to claim it, I'm unsure if they do now.)  Plenty of others claim to have invented it sooner, however.  In the UK, in the 1800s. a rise in rail travel helped fuel a boom in fast food- specifically resulting in fish-and-chip shops where the travelers could grab food before continuing.   A look back at different countries in different centuries will show people buying food quickly on the street to eat walking or to take home. Rome during the Roman Empire had that. China had that around the Middle Ages, as did European cities like London and Paris.  It's likely that large urban centers, especially, have had them at least as far back as Rome, and almost continuously in major cities continuously since then. 

After many centuries of people serving fast food, vpw was born. He later claimed to have had the original idea for fast food.

2 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

It's fascinating sometimes what he wanted to take credit for, and compare it to reality.

Chock Full O'Nuts (among other companies) claims to have a piece of that history. During the Great Depression, they switched from a gourmet nut shop (useless in a Depression) immediately to a sandwich and coffee shop, and because of that, claim to have invented fast food. (They used to claim it, I'm unsure if they do now.)  Plenty of others claim to have invented it sooner, however.  In the UK, in the 1800s. a rise in rail travel helped fuel a boom in fast food- specifically resulting in fish-and-chip shops where the travelers could grab food before continuing.   A look back at different countries in different centuries will show people buying food quickly on the street to eat walking or to take home. Rome during the Roman Empire had that. China had that around the Middle Ages, as did European cities like London and Paris.  It's likely that large urban centers, especially, have had them at least as far back as Rome, and almost continuously in major cities continuously since then. 

After many centuries of people serving fast food, vpw was born. He later claimed to have had the original idea for fast food.

Didn't he also claim that the devil in order to get even with him made the McDonald's logo an upside down "W"

3 minutes ago, So_crates said:

Didn't he also claim that the devil in order to get even with him made the McDonald's logo an upside down "W"

I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he came out with that.  This same man claimed to never have a sick day or headache IN HIS LIFE.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Chock Full O'Nuts (among other companies) claims to have a piece of that history. During the Great Depression, they switched from a gourmet nut shop (useless in a Depression) immediately to a sandwich and coffee shop, and because of that, claim to have invented fast food.

So.........personally.........inspiring.........given my screenname.   LOL.

:dance::dance::dance:

Like me - in a state of depression, I switched from a gourmet nut shop called the Way to a sandwich and coffee shop called a local church.  Because of this, I have invented fast food Christianity for wayfers.

:spy:

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2018 at 10:54 PM, WordWolf said:

It's been suggested that vpw was in some way impressive intellectually, that he was above average in some intellectual fashion.

Let's take a look at the evidence at hand, shall we?

vpw was never known to be any sort of honor student. All claims about him and hard work seem to be people saying he DIDN'T do hard work.  That's a negative- but when vpw was proud to trumpet his smallest achievements, a telling one when he has none to wave at others.

vpw finished college, and did a Masters at Princeton Theological Seminary. In a place where there's lots of RIGOROUS fields of study, he chose HOMILETICS- how to preach- which is undoubtedly the softest option possible. (One can learn to preach without going to school for it, just by working with preachers. Fields like Church History would take some real study time.)   It was a real school, but he took the softest degree there.   His last stop was a degree mill to get a Doctorate from an unaccredited institution.  What does that mean? It means he got a Doctorate from a source lacking accreditation, a vetting process that guarantees the degree is worth the paper it's printed on.  What's the difference? I have THREE unaccredited degrees. That makes me TRIPLE the fake "Doctor" that vpw was.  None of our "degrees" guarantees any level of intellectual skill or even accomplishment.  So, that's it for his academic career.

So, he has an actual Masters from a real school, in a really soft option. Academically, that's his highest point. 

After school, he preached, and complained about having been :"MADE" to go to he Bible and study each week to prepare a sermon each week.  What a remarkable way to refer to it!  He wasn't HAPPY to spend hour after hour there, excited when new insights arrived. (I've been there, and I wasn't a preacher.)  He did it because he had no other choice in doing his job as a preacher.

He also served as a proofreader and editor at a Christian written publication.  He really liked to skip over that one. Why?  He was exposed to the complete research of LOTS of young Christian teachers and researchers.   Quite a useful thing to have access to. If he wanted to skip reading the Bible for himself- which he accidentally let slip he did- he could just plagiarize all those writers from the pulpit, and they'd never find out.  What- do you think someone just wakes up one morning and his career switches to plagiarist?  No- he was plagiarizing for some time before he discovered Stiles and Leonard. That's why he didn't have a crisis of conscience before plagiarizing them. 

What was vpw's entire goal in BECOMING a minister?  He once told a minister he wanted to be one like him. Someone preached and he said that. He obviously didn't mean the part about LEARNING because he never pursued that. He wanted to preach and be in charge. In one of his accounts of his supposed 1942 promise (which was all an exposable lie), his first reaction was not that his congregation would be blessed- his first thought was that EVERYONE WOULD LISTEN TO HIM.  Whether this incident happened or not, his own claim is that this would be his first thought.

Small wonder vpw relied on sermons, invented stories, and outright plagiarism to make a name for himself. He was in it solely for the adulation and the steady work.  The plagiarism was unapologetic because without it, he'd have to actually work and think. He preferred to lie and cheat instead.

WW, good post!  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't VPW tell Corps Members, that " they didn't know how to work, and he did?"  Nonsense!  I grew up on a farm, and I learned how to work hard, at a very young age.  I know that others here at the GSC, also learned to work hard as youngsters.  From what I have learned, and read about him, I think VPW may have lived, a very soft, easy lifestyle, compared to many of us.

16 hours ago, WordWolf said:

WW, just to piggyback off your post, I think I read that Subs were invented in NYC in the early 20th Century. Many of the people who worked near the docks, wanted to quickly grab food, and get back to work.  Thus, Subs were invented.  

21 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Bingo. You stumbled upon the truth. I was a music major, I had to practice percussion and later on organ, participate in band(both marching and concert), orchestra, and choral. Plus I and other music majors had to give a jury, semester mini recital before the entire music faculty to get a BA, later supplemented to the equivalent of a BSM with a certificate. I worked harder than Wierwille ever did.

Thomas, I didn't know that Music Majors had to do all that work; thanks for the information.

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

So.........personally.........inspiring.........given my screenname.   LOL.

:dance::dance::dance:

Like me - in a state of depression, I switched from a gourmet nut shop called the Way to a sandwich and coffee shop called a local church.  Because of this, I have invented fast food Christianity for wayfers.

:spy:

Chock, that is hilarious!!  Good for you!!:jump:

During The Great Depression, my grandmother made sandwiches and various other items at home , which my grandfather then took downtown at lunch time to sell to the office workers. I am in no way saying my grandfather invented "fast food". I am merely saying that the basic concept most definitely did not originate with Wierwille.

Edited by waysider

On 12/27/2017 at 12:42 PM, skyrider said:

Maybe, I should have added a sarc tag......

No, I'm fully aware of the deception......what they say and what they do is in two different realms. 

• Doing a start-up splinter.......re-directs their vaunted egos and diminishes guilt/repentance
  • Attempts to salvage reputation.......trying to help others with "the word"  /s
  • Supplements income........and adds perks their way (gifts/dinners/trips)
  • Feathers their nest.........with some added income and activity
  • "Being seen in the marketplace"........as someone of importance, ie pharisee

Heck, even a couple of GSC-posters noted that Rosalie is "running out the clock." 

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

ya know...I'm an old city boy and don't know my trees very well...but I must say - that is one fine piece of ash.  :rolleyes:

T-Bone, who ashed you!! Just kidding!:anim-smile:

7 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, good post!  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't VPW tell Corps Members, that " they didn't know how to work, and he did?"  Nonsense!  I grew up on a farm, and I learned how to work hard, at a very young age.  I know that others here at the GSC, also learned to work hard as youngsters.  From what I have learned, and read about him, I think VPW may have lived, a very soft, easy lifestyle, compared to many of us.

He said it lots of times, some of them to Corps members, including those with military service backgrounds (they do more work before 9am than most people do all day...)  Uncle Harry said it was due to their German upbringing (check TW:LiL for the exact quote, but he said that.)  The hypocrisy of vpw saying it was that he skipped his chores on the farm all the time. His own Dad was quoted as having said so (TW:LiL).  We know vpw vanished in the woods for hours at a time. Harry-who did not see him during those times- seemed to have confused him with Billy Graham. He said vpw was preaching to the trees.  BG rather famously addressed his own nervousness at crowd-speaking by preaching to trees and altar calls alone in the woods.  (Uncle Harry plagiarized too. This was a plagiarizing family. Plagiarizing and farming were the family businesses.)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, just to piggyback off your post, I think I read that Subs were invented in NYC in the early 20th Century. Many of the people who worked near the docks, wanted to quickly grab food, and get back to work.  Thus, Subs were invented.  

According to Wikipedia, Italian sandwiches ("heroes") were sold by Italian immigrants in the US (in NYC and other places) starting in the 19th century. with NYC ones becoming "heroes" around 1937.  Then again, they also say they were invented after that in 1903, so make of that what you will.  (See the beginnings of the entries for "submarine sandwich" and "Italian sandwich.")    Lots of places have had people make fast food to buy and eat while working or traveling, throughout history. Empanadas have their traditional crimp on one side from the original purpose of eating them with one hand while at manual labour (so I've been told.)    Again, there's examples across the centuries, across the continents.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

He said it lots of times, some of them to Corps members, including those with military service backgrounds (they do more work before 9am than most people do all day...)  Uncle Harry said it was due to their German upbringing (check TW:LiL for the exact quote, but he said that.)  The hypocrisy of vpw saying it was that he skipped his chores on the farm all the time. His own Dad was quoted as having said so (TW:LiL).  We know vpw vanished in the woods for hours at a time. Harry-who did not see him during those times- seemed to have confused him with Billy Graham. He said vpw was preaching to the trees.  BG rather famously addressed his own nervousness at crowd-speaking by preaching to trees and altar calls alone in the woods.  (Uncle Harry plagiarized too. This was a plagiarizing family. Plagiarizing and farming were the family businesses.)

WW, I know when I was in the Navy, we worked our butts off.  We saw more of our fellow sailors, than their families did.  To me, busting my butt, was nothing new, because I had learned how to work hard on our family farm.  

• 4 years later...