GreaseSpot Cafe

Growing pains

Twinky

:offtopic:  I've worn contact lenses for about 45 years.  One is for distance vision, the other is a reading lens.  It took me at least 30 years to work out that the lenses functioned differently.  My brain automatically selects the focusing distance it needs and I am completely unaware of which eye I am focusing through.  Uncorrected vision in the dominant eye is -7, in the other eye -2. 

I don't think it works quite like that with spectacles, as the lens is further from the eye.  Mike, you might want to try contacts if you are still having problems.  Soft lenses are very easy to adapt to.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

BTW, Twinky, that other thread "One Thing" that you started, and then got closed?

The main reason I didn't want to respond there was it was a totally new topic for me, and I didn't want the distraction from my campaign. HOWEVER, I did take your challenge to heart. I started a little note on the subject, and then slowly added items to the growing list of benefits I have received from PFAL.  I'm slowly composing, in my head, some detail now.

But what do I do now with this?  I'm trying to wind down my involvement here to a mere trickle, but that's difficult. When I post too many responses and demands seem to always happen. Maybe later. I'm in no rush.

Feel free to post ONE THING that you learned from PFAL here, and what its benefit has been in your life.  After all, this is called GROWING PAINS and if you learned something from PFAL that is not available elsewhere then let's hear it.  I discount anything from the material that was plagiarised (stolen) from other authors.

Alternatively, you could start your own thread - "Things I learned from PFAL" or some such title.

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I had an eye doctor try one time to give me a prescription where one eye was set for reading the other eye for distance vision... he did so without my permission. I made him change it. I don't believe that method helps at all. That might be why you get headaches from reading.

That sounds a little like the situations cataract surgeries bring in. I'm still a few years away from cataract surgery.

My problem is macular edema. It's not as bad as macular degeneration; it's pimples on the retina. I was stopped by a cop a 5 years ago for weaving late at night. I had not a drop to drink and thought I was straight on. The next day I noticed that a yardstick looked wavy. I’ve been in Ophthalmologists chairs every three months ever since.

The strong left eye bends up and the weak right eye bends down. I just got PRISMS installed within my glasses prescriptions that correct for this. It’s a little weird still.

Okay, well, contact lenses won't work.  Very different problem.  Prisms sometimes help, but they are weird to get used to.

Pray for healing??

Mike, you said this:

The main reason I didn't want to respond there was it was a totally new topic for me, and I didn't want the distraction from my campaign. HOWEVER, I did take your challenge to heart. I started a little note on the subject, and then slowly added items to the growing list of benefits I have received from PFAL.  I'm slowly composing, in my head, some detail now.

But what do I do now with this?  I'm trying to wind down my involvement here to a mere trickle, but that's difficult. When I post too many responses and demands seem to always happen. Maybe later. I'm in no rush.

FYI, Mike, and to remind you, this was my opening post on ONE THING;

Nike, give us ONE THING that

you know better than anybody else.  ONE THING from the collaterals that you know and apply better than anyone here.  ONE THING that works. 

Note: from the collaterals.  So that means you aren't referring to the Bible or quoting verses, since elsewhere you've disavowed the Bible as anything other than "background."  Be sure also that you aren't plagiarising other people's work.

ONE THING.  Quote one paragraph or sentence, one pronouncement of VPW.  Then, show how it applies.  How YOU have benefitted from it.

Edited by Twinky

3 minutes ago, Twinky said:

FYI, Mike, and to remind you, this was my opening post on ONE THING;

Oops! Back to the old drawing board. I was thinking it was a little different. Maybe I can adapt my list to it. Like I said, I'm in no rush. I hope you aren't.

7 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Okay, well, contact lenses won't work.  Very different problem.  Prisms sometimes help, but they are weird to get used to.

Pray for healing??

YES!  That and Medicare.  I have about 4 other things in the works with my Ophthalmologist.  It's been a steady healing thing, Thanks for understanding. There are so many different reasons that items in posts can get missed or ignored or lost.

17 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Feel free to post ONE THING that you learned from PFAL here, and what its benefit has been in your life.  After all, this is called GROWING PAINS and if you learned something from PFAL that is not available elsewhere then let's hear it.  I discount anything from the material that was plagiarised (stolen) from other authors.

Ouch!  I hadn't considered the added stipulation of "not available elsewhere."

That's real hard to do.

In WLIV vpw states that most of what he taught he got from others and that very little originated with him.  

My thinking right now (at this late hour) is that vpw's biggest contribution to the package was deciding what to include and not include, and then how he distributed it in a way it got to me and in a way that I was able to accept it (from hippies).

At that time I was moving away from Christianity as fast as I could. That crazy guy with the lie detectors and plant consciousness was JUST ONE of my wild adventures as far from Christianity as possible.

My list of benefits in the class all came from other sources, but none of those sources has the mix that is best IMO. For instance: find a group that believes in eternal life, but they also believe in the trinity. Another: one group may believe Jesus is not God, but then pray to dead people. 

I could put it this way: It's "not available elsewhere" to find that mix. My list of benefits is unique in that way. 

Can you tell this is still a new topic to me?

Astounding!  In response to SoCrates’ question

Can you tell me an evil thing he's [VPW] done?

Mike replies:

I thought he did wrong by strongly urging Corps members to only marry Corps. I think there were other ways he contributed to Corps elitism, and they strongly degraded the mystery on the field. But I haven't thought about my gripes against him for many years. I had to think for a long time to come up with that. I had been very lucky in insulating myself from the negatives, and as a result many have faded in memory.

For one, it wasn’t “strongly urging” – it was mandatory.

For two, and this really riles me: in my opinion, these are far worse (to name but a few).  And they're not just "wrong," but mostly illegal:

• raping young women

• drugging them
  • breaking up marriages
  • enforced abortion  

Not to mention

> theft

> bullying

> outrageous hypocrisy

Set against those, forbidding to marry is small beer.

By the way, can I bring this to mind:

1 Tim 4:1-5    But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

• Like 1