GreaseSpot Cafe

What was the most important reason you got involved with The Way International?

penworks

What convinced you to "join" TWI?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When you were "witnessed to," what convinced you to get involved with TWI? Please give only ONE answer.

• The conviction my "recruiter" displayed about knowing "the accuracy of the Bible."
    • The kindness my "recruiter" showed me in answering my questions or helping me with a personal problem.
    • My "recruiter's" belief that Victor Paul Wierwille was God's special man of God for our time.
    • The possibility of doing something great for God (moving the Word over the world) by involvement with TWI.
    • None of the above.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/26/2018 at 01:17 AM

I am interested in finding out what the top reasons were for people getting involved with The Way International.

Edited by penworks

I chose “none of the above” . Though some of the other reasons listed may have helped to push me over the edge - I am certain the driving force behind my decision to get involved with The Way International was (and still is , i might add) some goofy spiritual or philosophical quest; so when I saw the claim on the back of the PFAL sign-up card “enables you to separate truth from error “ I was all in.

At a time when I was thinking, I ought to give the Bible another go, try and read it - I read Acts, and thought it such a fantastic book and really wondered why I didn't see any of that passion and commitment among the people I'd known hitherto.

Then, I met a WoW.  He was passionate, committed, the WoW family leader of 3 or 4 others, knew a lot, showed me a lot of Bible and explained it.  I got to go to branch meetings where there were a lot of other believers, all outgoing and friendly, vibrant and very passionate about God.  I met Corps and interim Corps, and they really seemed to glow.  These people all believed that the power displayed in Acts was available now and seemed to know God at a very personal level.  I saw some amazing answers to prayers.  It wasn't "stand-up-sit-down-at-the-right-time" like the boring church I'd been raised in.  However, I wasn't sold on everyone's refrain, "Have you taken the class yet?" and was rather put off by that.  It was many months before I dipped my toe into that water.  But meeting this WoW seemed like an answer to prayer - at the time.

This was mid 80s, and not in the US.  There was no E-Corps formed yet, no Gartmore, so any WC around must have trained in the US.  Maybe things were different from what was going on in the US.

My friend had lent me some STS cassettes to listen to because I had pretty deep questions that she wasn't able to answer adequately.  Her reasoning was that I needed to hear directly from HQ.  On one tape, Craig Martindale was correcting a prior teaching, and said specifically that any of us, if we had done some serious research, could send in a disagreement about a teaching, and if they found this person's research to be correct, they would correct that teaching also.

That was it for me.  I wanted to study the bible with a group that was still studying the bible and didn't think they had all the knowledge and no one could question anything.

Unfortunately, now they have become the all-knowing, don't question us, type of ministry.  Very disappointing.

Supposedly attracted to Biblical Research(Aramaic, Fihures of Speech, Mid-Eastern Culture), academics

The Way is certainly NOT the end-all be-all. But it did teach me a few lessons. All religions built of man are faulty. If you were in The Way and thought it was perfect, surely at some point that image was torn from you. But all churches are like that. Is there a man-made church anywhere that has no scandals?

I do think that God led me to The Way for a purpose.

• Upvote 1