GreaseSpot Cafe

Billy Graham

chockfull

8 minutes ago, GoldStar said:

Yeah, sorry Billy

This thread about you got labeled as a Hot Topic with 26 replies

But someone started a movement to move it away from the hot zone, and now the conversation is dead

But I'm sure you understand Billy

I have to say it's a bit premature to label this conversation as dead. As to being "hot", it doesn't really matter which forum it lands in. If the subject is worth discussing, people will discuss it regardless of where it's located. Now, as a side note, there is an incident in Billy Graham's book that talks about practicing his preaching techniques on the trees. This same incident was attributed to VPW by Uncle (but, not my uncle) Harry in one of The Way's books. I don't recall the specifics off-hand.

12 hours ago, GoldStar said:

Hope that is the case, I'd like to stay and participate in discussions

But if politics is not allowed then the comment chastising politics should have been made at the first mention of Bush who is s politician, and that is where politics was introduced into the discussion, and where the chastising should have been directed

The chastisement about no politics should not have been made in direct response to my response, it is obvious that chastisement came after my comment due to someone didn't like their favorite Preacher on a Pedestal being rubbed the wrong way, the chastising comment itself eveals that very clearly

And regarding "speculation on the subject" my comment gave the name of a research book on the subject as a documented reference, not speculation, I was not going to copy and paste copyrighted material here, if someone wants to read or do homework is a matter of personal choice, I have done mine, there is no speculation

Hey GoldStar, I will be the first to admit in starting this thread that I personally have not done homework on Billy Graham and do not know the ins and outs of his life like I do the leaders in the Way I have encountered.  And I did bring up the ex-Pres George HW Bush.  I didn't mean to start a political discussion, I just was noticing the contrast between VPW and someone who people actually liked and endorsed publicly as a Christian minister from a position of power.

Quite obviously that went sideways so I'll take responsibility there.  

I don't mind you ranting about Billy Graham seriously - as I said I am more ignorant on the topic than you are most likely.  The ex-Pres - is probably a mixed bag for most - I do have some more second and third-hand personal accounts other than public for my personal judgement, but again, not wanting to start a political argument in any way.  

What public figure ever supported VPW?

15 hours ago, GoldStar said:

Bush?  The Burning Bush?  No...not Moses' burning bush...

Take a look a The Washington Times Front-Page June 29, 1989 Headline article about The Burning Bush.  Did Bushie's friend Billy know Bushie allowed call boys late-night access into the White House?  Need more proof? There are videos of public meetings showing Bushie's tender physical contact with a caller...

Dr. Carol Burns also has a well-researched and documented book "Billy Graham and His Friends: A Hidden Agenda?" that looks much deeper than just the goody-two-shoes facade of TV preachers' football stadium revivals...

It's not just "The Way"...... it's The Way of Power and Corruption.

Put Preachers on Pedestals in the Past

http://educate-yourself.org/tg/franklincoverupexcerptwashtimesphoto.shtml

that's the article.  facts seem to implicate a deputy White House counsel's former colleagues with hiring a group alleged to be a homosexual prostitution ring in to the White House.  The terms "former colleague" seem to indicate fellow deputy White House counsel during the Reagan administration. 

Sheesh now you gonna make me go research Billy Graham because I wanted to contrast him with VPW as someone who people in power liked and wanted to be associated with.

The MSN link isn't working. However, it looks like a repost from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/02/21/divorce-drugs-drinking-billy-grahams-children-and-their-absent-father/?utm_term=.6e65c4c4e98f

Let me know if that link stops working.    There's some claims there about Graham being a bad Dad, and a single long-term affair during his marriage. I'm curious if there's some more documentation about the latter; the former seems to be rather solid-and a sad consequence of not enough priority on his family.  (Understandable how it happened but it doesn't make it right.)   Even the Washington Post couldn't find more than that, so that's probably (pending more information) as bad as it got.  Considering some allusions, I expected to hear a lot worse than that (which, again, doesn't make it right.)

3 hours ago, waysider said:

Reminds me of THIS.

Waysider that link is way too funny. Makes me want to see that movie all over again. Infiniity!!! LOL!  Okay, as far as Billy and Family troubles, well, I would think even Peter had those, and I KNOW Jesus had sibling rivalry.  Anybody ever see this guy talk about Jesus's brother? ;) Too funny, I swear, too funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbP4KttZOcc

22 hours ago, WordWolf said:

As to WHY politics is not allowed on the GSC, the answer is long. Briefly stated, it's not allowed anymore. The GSC is not about politics, but allowing discussions of politics took over the board, monopolized the moderators, and almost doomed the board.  No more politics, period.  So, let's keep politics off this thread.

As to whether Billy Graham had some issues, problems, etc, please make your specifics. If I have to do the homework, I won't bother and I'll at least suspect it's a bluff.  The Billy Graham I've heard of was as free of corruption as you can get as a person- someone who did his best to avoid situations where he might consider sinning. (That really cuts the odds down.)

I'm sorry to hear he went, but he had a long life- partially due to clean living (vpw died in his 60s after decades of chronic smoking and drinking.)

22 hours ago, WordWolf said:

As to WHY politics is not allowed on the GSC, the answer is long. Briefly stated, it's not allowed anymore. The GSC is not about politics, but allowing discussions of politics took over the board, monopolized the moderators, and almost doomed the board.  No more politics, period.  So, let's keep politics off this thread.

As to whether Billy Graham had some issues, problems, etc, please make your specifics. If I have to do the homework, I won't bother and I'll at least suspect it's a bluff.  The Billy Graham I've heard of was as free of corruption as you can get as a person- someone who did his best to avoid situations where he might consider sinning. (That really cuts the odds down.)

I'm sorry to hear he went, but he had a long life- partially due to clean living (vpw died in his 60s after decades of chronic smoking and drinking.)

WW, Billy Graham may have been "free of corruption," but his son and daughter, are corrupt as can be. While checking out the life of BG, check out the lives of his children.  You may be in for a big surprise.

2 minutes ago, Allan said:

Well known amongst Billy Grahams followers is that he would never be alone in a room or anywhere else with a female. There was always someone else there to abstain from any appearance of evil or unseemliness...

Perhaps a wise strategy. Btw, I read an interesting article about Billy Graham earlier today. I'd go into it and post some of it but it and BG's ministry got into politics pretty heavily so I won't.

It's also a wise strategy because of false sexual accusations. I recall some reporter, was it from the Washington Post? I'd have to look and I'm too lazy. She CRUCIFIED Mike Pence because of his Billy Graham rule.  As I recall she labeled him with some sort of  "immature" sexist attitude, and how it hurts women.  That was nonsense. Any man in a powerful position has to be careful with false allegations. Especially in today's climate. I am hoping I don't have to defend myself to say that yes I KNOW that sexual abuse really does take place.

I'm hearing you RottiGrlll...the feminazis want it both ways, damned if someone does, damned if they don't. here in Australia now they've moved into women hating on women territory, eg: cheerleaders, models etc being hated upon ! But hang on, I thought they were into a woman's freedom of choice...ba humbug.

• Upvote 1

I invited Goldstar to share his background to TWI in the forum relating to new members. I don't know what set him off about Graham. Btw, the proper forum is in memory, not About The Way.

Well, "About the Way" was apt if it was specifically to discuss some connection between twi and Graham (possible, if unlikely.)  "In Memoriam" is specifically  for memorials, which limits the discussion.  "Open" is for any discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else- which is why this thread ended up here. 

• Upvote 1