GreaseSpot Cafe

Did vpw cite his sources, or did he plagiarize?

WordWolf

The subject of plagiarism is pretty simple. If you use the material of another- AND REFUSE TO CITE YOUR SOURCES- then you've plagiarized.  The content and source don't change that. To cite your sources, you need to put the references in the same written work you're making.  It's that simple.

"Babylon Mystery Religion" was a book that was largely a rewrite from "The Two Babylons."  Were sources cited? All over the book. Every single instance was end-noted to the end of its particular chapter- and many people didn't even notice that when they read.  That author cited his sources.  The previous book was public domain, so he didn't need to pay royalties, but he was still required to cite his sources- so he did.  

Did the pfal Orange Book cite its sources?  Leonard was NEVER mentioned in it, and it was largely Leonard and Bullinger and nothng else (IIRC, Bullinger wasn't mentioned either, but if he was mentioned ONCE he was not mentioned the dozens of times he was needed to be mentioned for legal requirements.

Did the RTHST White Book cite its sources?  Hardly. Stiles is not named- and the first edition was his book retyped. Later editions add work by Bullinger (also not cited) and the phrasing is changed slightly more to make it look like less obvious plagiarism.   In fact, the mention of an UNNAMED man who was Stiles was dropped from editions after the third- and the reference says that vpw did all the work.

So, both books plagiarized heavily- they used material word-for-word as well as concept-by-concept and BOTH are plagiarism- from the works of others, and their content was almost completely composed of plagiarized materials of people who are not cited in those books.  Plagiarism. And all meant to make vpw look knowledgeable.

• Upvote 2

Now, there's this fiction that goes around-popular with a few handfuls of people-  that vpw acknowledged his sources.  That's easy to dismiss.

1) To give proper- as in LEGAL and MORAL- acknowledgement- vpw would have had to make them in the works he plagiarized.  vpw did no such thing.

2) Did vpw say "Leonard and Bullinger are to thank for the Orange Book. If they hadn't done their work, the book would have been empty"? Did he say the same thing about Stiles and Bullinger and the White Book?   No- and that would at least have acknowledged that all the work was theirs,  even if it was insufficient to satisfy moral and legal standards of citing sources and giving credit where it is due.

3)  Ever hear of "the Way-Living in Love"?  It was a book put out by twi a decade or so after the White and Orange Books. It was a book-long advertisement of twi.  Most twi'ers didn't have it. Those that had it, had it on the shelf, collecting dust.  If you found someone with a copy, and took it down, and read, eventually you might find SOMETHING.

If you made it all the way to page 209. you'd find this:

""'Somewhere in there I wrote the first holy spirit book. I can't remember exactly what year.'"

"'I'd been working those 385 scriptures and they began to all fall into place.'"

"'We're having the sixth edition printed now of that book: Receiving the Holy Spirit Today. It's a great piece of research.

Lots of the stuff I teach is not original. Putting it all together so that it fit-that was the original work. I learned wherever I could, and then I worked that with the Scriptures. What was right on with the Scriptures, I kept; but what wasn't, I dropped."

I'm supposed to believe this is vpw citing his sources. Here he blatantly took credit for the content of the White Book. In fact, "those 385 Scriptures" were a list from Bullinger, which was its own book!

Then comes his saying that what he taught wasn't original. 

A) That's not citing your sources.

B) That's not even admitting all the material was a compilation of the work of others. I'm fine with eclecticism, where one thing is taken from here and another is taken from there. vpw didn't admit to THAT, either. (No mention the list was Bullinger's list, Stiles taught the steps, etc.) 

C) NOBODY does something without the influence of something else.  But that's not plagiarism in and of itself. This was a rather VAGUE comment that conveniently skipped over the truth.  Somehow, a few people reinterpret this to be a blanket confession that all of the content was taken from elsewhere- which is NOT what this said.

So, vpw made an off-hand comment, buried in one book, that completely fails to address the plagiarism.   Buried on another tape somewhere was similar comments-things that failed to say "and all the content was from these 3 guys".

Why did he even bother?

Simply put, he hedged his bets.  In case somebody connected something, he could say "See, I said I didn't make all of it up."  It was sufficient to cover his tracks- before the internet- for all of his life.  It's STILL being used to whitewash his actions.   vpw chronically and habitually used the work of others, took all the credit de facto by leaving them out, then occasionally made a vague off-hand remark that was meant to be mentioned if he got caught.

That's not how the LAW works. That's not MORAL activity.  But it was how he conducted his business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great posts, WordWolf !!!

wierwille’s statement has the appearance of being humble and honest while at the same time suggests he is the superior theologian able to rightly divide “the word” when handling those subjects.

I’m sure his half-a$$ed “disclaimer” would not have fooled any competent theologians especially if they were familiar with the works he plagiarized - but wierwille’s class materials - kept “in house” (conveniently avoiding peer review) tended to impress a lot of young and naive students who didn’t know squat about the Bible anyway,

Maybe slightly off topic but it addresses another aspect of wierwille’s plagiarism - how it cheated his students out of a real learning experience...and sort of relates to peer review - 

After I left TWI and began exploring and expanding how i studied the Bible - I was electrified one day when I was checking out several commentaries that I bought at an estate sale of a pastor. 

One commentary - in a footnote actually referred to how another commentary interpreted the same passage and criticized it for missing a certain detail of a Greek phrase...another commentary referred to the different ways several commentaries interpreted a verse and gave pros and cons on each alternate view... my point is that my excitement came from getting a taste of the menu for critical thinkers - variety is exciting! That’s what genuine honest teachers do - they expand one’s horizon by presenting various works/viewpoints and let students hone their thinking skills.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

That’s what genuine honest teachers do - they expand one’s horizon by presenting various works/viewpoints and let students hone their thinking skills.

Yes T-Bone. With the keys words in this comment being “genuine honest”. Neither of which “The Teacher” was. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:48 PM, WordWolf said:

The subject of plagiarism is pretty simple. If you use the material of another- AND REFUSE TO CITE YOUR SOURCES- then you've plagiarized.  The content and source don't change that. To cite your sources, you need to put the references in the same written work you're making.  It's that simple.

"Babylon Mystery Religion" was a book that was largely a rewrite from "The Two Babylons."  Were sources cited? All over the book. Every single instance was end-noted to the end of its particular chapter- and many people didn't even notice that when they read.  That author cited his sources.  The previous book was public domain, so he didn't need to pay royalties, but he was still required to cite his sources- so he did.  

Did the pfal Orange Book cite its sources?  Leonard was NEVER mentioned in it, and it was largely Leonard and Bullinger and nothng else (IIRC, Bullinger wasn't mentioned either, but if he was mentioned ONCE he was not mentioned the dozens of times he was needed to be mentioned for legal requirements.

Did the RTHST White Book cite its sources?  Hardly. Stiles is not named- and the first edition was his book retyped. Later editions add work by Bullinger (also not cited) and the phrasing is changed slightly more to make it look like less obvious plagiarism.   In fact, the mention of an UNNAMED man who was Stiles was dropped from editions after the third- and the reference says that vpw did all the work.

So, both books plagiarized heavily- they used material word-for-word as well as concept-by-concept and BOTH are plagiarism- from the works of others, and their content was almost completely composed of plagiarized materials of people who are not cited in those books.  Plagiarism. And all meant to make vpw look knowledgeable.

WW, I didn't know VPW plagiarized the PFAL class, and it's books, until I read about it here, at the GSC.  Personally, I thought the books, were poorly-written.  If I was going to plagiarize something, it would be something worth, plagiarizing.  Perhaps something from Steven Hawking, or Albert Einstein.  That way, if I got caught, I would at least look intelligent.  VPW IMO, looks stupid, for plagiarizing such low-quality Dreck.  Well, I guess that is why I don't plagiarize; I would not want to look stupid! :angry:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, I didn't know VPW plagiarized the PFAL class, and it's books, until I read about it here, at the GSC.  Personally, I thought the books, were poorly-written.  If I was going to plagiarize something, it would be something worth, plagiarizing.  Perhaps something from Steven Hawking, or Albert Einstein.  That way, if I got caught, I would at least look intelligent.  VPW IMO, looks stupid, for plagiarizing such low-quality Dreck.  Well, I guess that is why I don't plagiarize; I would not want to look stupid! :angry:

i remember coming to the realization that there was a ton more effort going into controlling a stupid Way mag article and even prolific greetings on phone hookups than there was in the poor copy transcription of a Sunday teaching that was printed up on his home press into a "collateral" to the PFAL class.  And people were basing their lives off of that.   Like for example the first chapter of the blue book, which everyone lauded to the sky.  I had grown up reading Norman Vincent Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking".   This is an entire book developing further the concepts that the Vicster introduced in a measly few pages.    And I saw plenty of crossover ideas there too.  Peale was VP's contemporary.

Sometimes, without brainwashing, you can actually see the poor quality of the original material that everyone worshipped for decades.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

dmiller posted here about Leonard's account.  According to Leonard, vpw came up to take BGL's class one time. Then vpw requested permission to teach BGL's class locally on a one-time basis. Leonard consented.  He was told the class went off and was sent a photo of the graduates.  That's the last he was told.

What Leonard found out LATER was that vpw left out that the class was Leonard's. He taught it entirely as his own class. That was why the original classes had no syllabus. vpw would have had to refrain from the printed syllabus of "Gifts of the Holy Spirit" and get around to retyping it as the syllabus of "Receiving the Holy Spirit Today."  vpw continued to teach that class.  Later, vpw added Stiles' book "Gifts of the Spirit" to Sessions 9-12, retyped Stiles' textbook as the White Book, and added the contents of Bullinger's book on the holy spirit (to the White Book and 9-12) and "How to Enjoy the Bible" (which became Sessions 5-8).   As he added material, he also split off the Intermediate Class from the other material (first as the "TIP" class for "Tongues Interpretation and Prophecy", then stretched out as the full Intermediate class.  The classes were amalgams of the material of others, rearranged and occasionally reworded so they sounded less like the authors.

At one time, there was another session, as well, that dealt with the "unforgivable sin". This session taught that people could supposedly be born again of the seed of the devil. I'm not sure why it was discontinued but I would assume it was too far over-the-edge for most students. I'm not sure where this material came from but I would be willing to bet it didn't originate with Wierwile.

11 hours ago, waysider said:

At one time, there was another session, as well, that dealt with the "unforgivable sin". This session taught that people could supposedly be born again of the seed of the devil. I'm not sure why it was discontinued but I would assume it was too far over-the-edge for most students. I'm not sure where this material came from but I would be willing to bet it didn't originate with Wierwile.

I’ve looked into this before - seems to me there was some old teachings by others that suggested seed of the serpent was physically literal and that Cain was the first offspring - I guess suggesting the Eve and the serpent got it on.

I don’t know if wierwille was the first to teach that the “wrong seed” was spiritual - I guess it was supposedly the polar opposite of being born again of incorruptible seed; I think the whole idea of all this is totally ridiculous anyway - but I think it was “ingenious” of wierwille to use it as a ploy to identify anyone who he thought was an enemy of “the true believers” by deeming them as either wrong seed or possessed- this he “knew” by revelation of course.  :spy:

See serpent seed on Wikipedia

Edited by T-Bone
Add emoticon

I remember once at a Rock of Ages (I forget the year) when VP was under the big-top, teaching quite a bit more in-depth concerning Biblical administrations than what was in PFAL. (things like: "not reading the past into the future" or "the present into the past" or "one part of the future into another part of the future", etc)

Having loved grammar all my life, I was already aware of some of these things from studying comprehension skills. Nevertheless, I was very impressed with some things I hadn't come across. But here's the interesting part:

Many times, he was pausing quite a few seconds between remarks. Ordinarily, I would suppose a teacher would be doing that either for inflection or merely to collect his thoughts. But often, I noticed him glancing upward before continuing. (And I'm sure many of you here at GS already know the rest!)

He was intentionally giving the impression that God was revealing stuff directly to him by revelation --- fresh off the press, as it were. Along with many, I was in awe of his spiritual prowess!

However, some years later I finally bought a copy of Bullinger's How to Enjoy the Bible. Lo and behold! --- In Part I, III, iv, 1-6 (covering pages 105ff) I saw that entire ROA teaching (supposedly from God to VP to us) plainly laid out in print --- right before my very eyes!

(What I thought then really isn't worth mentioning, so I'll just stop here.) :angry:

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Like 1

Hi WW. I think we can say that no, VPW did not cite his sources in a consistent, professional or scholarly way that would allow a reader of most of his work to track it. 

I used those three words deliberately - there are some references here and there but there is a notable absence of him foot noting sections of what he published under his name that were clearly and closely identical to other work of other writers and doing it consistently or in such a way that it would be on record. Nor did he observe professional and legal best practices in that area, nor educational standards. 

He did talk about them, at times. He referenced Bullinger, Leonard, etc. etc. but never in a way that credited them, nearly always making note that they had all somehow stepped into error at some point or stopped "believing" God at His Word. 

I think one of the likeliest reasons he did that was to support his claim that God would teach him like no other since etc. if he would teach that to others. If he referenced huge chunks of his ideas and language used to express them to others having it first it would erode that claim.

The best thing he could have done was invite all critics including those he quoted, to question and negate his work if they so desired and then let the pieces fly as they might. That would have suited his two-fisted mans-man motorcycle riding personae he promoted. Instead he talked about it in ways that allowed him to "credit" them while making sure the listener understood they were not fit to judge his ultimate use of their words. 

Matthew 5 – "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' But I say to you, do not swear at all; neither by heaven, for it is God's throne nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one."

"Honesty" is a moving target for a lot of people. In the Way it's reserved for "the truth of God's Word". Everything else to them is a "fact", unreliable and invalid. Facts are ignored and replaced by "what's the Word say?"....and of course the Word says to be honest and truthful in regards to our "facts".

Jesus taught His followers to pursue honesty through clarity and performance. Say what you mean, mean it and do your best to do it. We're not going to perform a 100 per cent of that all the time, we know that, but any effort to redefine that blurs the reality Jesus led us to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, the only people VPW ever quoted in his books by name were Bishop K. C. Pillai and George Lamsa, and not that often.

9 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Interestingly, the only people VPW ever quoted in his books by name were Bishop K. C. Pillai and George Lamsa, and not that often.

The only 2 who claimed to have a special insight to the Bible.  I doubt that's a coincidence.  I suspect he saw a kinship with them. He let Lamsa even finish work on his "Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts" in his home. (Incompetent critics later claimed that was the standard Bible used in twi instead of the King James Version.)   As for Pillai, he invited him to teach more than once.  Both of them saw sales of their books in the twi bookstore.

Pillai claimed his understanding came from Eastern customs, and acted like the Telugu Bible was far superior to the English versions. Lamsa claimed his growing up in the Palestine area and familiarity with Eastern Aramaic and customs in Palestine gave him special insight into the actions 2000 years earlier in the same area, and with Palestinian Aramaic.  Pillai seemed nice enough.  Then again, so did wierwille, and we know how that worked out.

Hi Greasespotters!

Allow me to clue you in on a FACT: dictor Paul couldn’t write his way through high school! At his very best, he was capable of writing at an 8th grade level. Remember all those times he talked about his older sisters Sevilla and Lydia, “reading him the riot act” about his horrible school performance?? He bragged about it all the time in a blatant attempt to cover-up the FACT that he was flunking out of high school by the 9th grade. As a matter of fact, the principal had considered not allowing him to return for 10th grade unless his parents could control his behavior. 

Ya see, dic was known as the town bully, the NK Biff of Back To The Future fame. Everybody else was Marty McFly! He would speed through town on his motorcycle doing tricks and making lots of  noise, intimidating pedestrians and being an all around annoying idiot. Sevilla and Lydia were often credited with “straightening me [dictor] out”, thereby preparing him for his earth shatteringly scholarly and revelatory career as the “greatest MOG since The Apostle Paul”! Dic pulled himself together enough to graduate with a low C grade average, and with a lengthy letter of excuses from Dr. Kunst, the local minister at the Evangelical and Reformed Church in NK (and graduate of Lakeland himself), and lots of $$ from papa Adolph, dic managed to slip his way into the world renowned Lakeland Mission House College in Sheboygan, WI! There, he invented the hook shot in basketball, never played professional basketball, secretly married his hometown sweetheart, and barged his way through Mission House like John Blutarski did through Faber College in Animal House! LOL!

ALL the early books “written” by dic prior to JCING were transcribed from teachings dic gave on Sunday nights, church study nights in Van Wert, “Spiritual 40 Club” events, and Chimes Hour Youth Caravan broadcasts. ALL OF THEM! I mentioned that dic at his most eloquent with a pen, rose to an average 8th grade level, so writing anything coherent, credible, and scholarly, was absolutely out of the question. So, the great teacher recorded everything he taught and would have Rhoda, then eventually, Donna Randall, Bernita Jess, and Peter J. Wade, along with David Anderson, to transcribe every teaching dic wanted included in his “package” of plagiarized platitudes and “research”. So, once J.E. Stiles, the real author of RTHST, led him into tongues, and dic bought Stiles’ book, “Receiving The Holy Spirit”, and used it to teach his new research on the “gift of tongues”, dic got on a roll. J.E. made it easy. He had already written the book!

The next step was taking B.G.’s “The Gifts of the Spirit” class up in Canada. Dictor took it the first time by himself, alone, basically barging his way into the opening session late, while BG was playing his violin before starting. Vic got home and immediately started teaching Dottie, Donnie, Karen, Mal and Jan George, and a few others. Then, the next summer, dic dragged Dotsie and Donnie with him to Canada and they took the class. That was the last time Vic credited BG with ANYTHING in TWI. 

BG had a big syllabus with tons of scripture references and his definitions of the 9 “gifts”, “keys to walking in the spirit”, the various names of devil spirits, “current” and in the Bible with every single bible record used in dic’s Advanced Class along with the teaching notes Dotsie, and Donnie took. Many parts of that syllabus became the syllabus for “Interpretation of Toungues and Prophecy” (TIP, & INT class) and The Advanced class, plagiarized literally verbatim.

Dic was teaching his own “Power For Abundant Living” classes now. Mimeographed limited syllabi and 3 hour sessions. As he was used to since Chimes Hour Youth Caravan, he had everything recorded, and then Rhoda would transcribe all the tapes. Then, she and Dotsie, and Karen would edit for spelling and coherence, and dictor would determine the content. Later, as people with greater technical and intellectual abilities came along, (Donna Randall, Peter Wade, Walter Cummins, David Anderson, Bernita Jess, Ken Klug, John Somerville, Bishop Pillai, Lamsa) more textual and MS evidence was brought to the fore and given the thumbs up or down by dic. Again, everything recorded and transcribed! This is how the orange book, the blue book, the green book, and the PFAL book itself were written. When I first took the class, there were no books! There was the syllabus, Christians Should Be Propsperous in booklet form, Are The Dead Alive Now (also softback), Studies in Human Suffering (on the Book of Job) and 56 separate little pamphlets called “the collaterals”, which were eventually compiled into the first three volumes of the “Studies In Abundant Living” volumes, blue, green, and orange.

During my first in-Rez year with the 4th corpse, dic held numerous research nights in the BRC with corpse and the research dept staff, which at that time was Walter Cummins, Donna Randall, Bernita Jess, and dictor as the head cheese and chief revelatory, to work on the final edition of the new JCING. Everybody was allowed to offer their thoughts, opinions, scriptural references, questions, counterpoints. They lasted 3-4 hours with a 1/2 hr break in the middle. They were really fun. But, the final writing was done as it had always been done since Van Wert. That’s why people notice the big difference in all the published works AFTER JCING. JCOP was the first book that was NOT based solely on transcripts of dic’s teachings. As a matter of fact, the body of the contents as well as the vast majority of it were NOT contributed by dictor at all! I can honestly say that the only thing dictor wrote in that book was the dedication! LOL!

That’s enough for now. I know there’s a thread somewhere in which Penworks and I basically describe dictor’s “research” and “writing” techniques and prowess. Can’t remember the name of it, or when it was. But, IIRC, it pretty much covers the entire process of “writing” piffle and TWIt books. It might also be called “The Way: Living in Lies”! Or, “How To Plagiarize Your Way To Financial Independence: Building A Fundamentalist Cult”. LOL!................peace y’all!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that info-packed post, Don’t Worry !

I am totally surprised hearing about those research nights when you were in-Rez ...quite different from the stifling stagnation experience when I was at Rome City.

10 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Allow me to clue you in on a FACT: dictor Paul couldn’t write his way through high school!

Your description of VPW's approach to compiling information reminds me of my former step-father.  Every Sunday morning he would grab the paper before any of us had a chance, and he would hide in his bedroom with it.  One particular morning he came out of the room with a HUGE, insightful announcement about washing your face.  "Do it twice and your face will SHINE!!!" he declared.

Later that evening, I finally had my chance at the paper (I was the youngest there) and happened to read the article about the face washing.  I just shook my head, thinking what a schmuck my step-dad was.  I lost all respect for him at that moment, realizing he was a fraud.

I now feel the same about VPW, and am surprised that there are so many "old-timers" that are still dedicated to him.

I just recently came across a study by Bullinger on Job, from victim to victor.  It is the entirety of what is covered in the FNC from TWI, and then some.

11 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Hi Greasespotters!

Allow me to clue you in on a FACT: dictor Paul couldn’t write his way through high school! At his very best, he was capable of writing at an 8th grade level. Remember all those times he talked about his older sisters Sevilla and Lydia, “reading him the riot act” about his horrible school performance?? He bragged about it all the time in a blatant attempt to cover-up the FACT that he was flunking out of high school by the 9th grade. As a matter of fact, the principal had considered not allowing him to return for 10th grade unless his parents could control his behavior. 

Ya see, dic was known as the town bully, the NK Biff of Back To The Future fame. Everybody else was Marty McFly! He would speed through town on his motorcycle doing tricks and making lots of  noise, intimidating pedestrians and being an all around annoying idiot. Sevilla and Lydia were often credited with “straightening me [dictor] out”, thereby preparing him for his earth shatteringly scholarly and revelatory career as the “greatest MOG since The Apostle Paul”! Dic pulled himself together enough to graduate with a low C grade average, and with a lengthy letter of excuses from Dr. Kunst, the local minister at the Evangelical and Reformed Church in NK (and graduate of Lakeland himself), and lots of $$ from papa Adolph, dic managed to slip his way into the world renowned Lakeland Mission House College in Sheboygan, WI! There, he invented the hook shot in basketball, never played professional basketball, secretly married his hometown sweetheart, and barged his way through Mission House like John Blutarski did through Faber College in Animal House! LOL!

ALL the early books “written” by dic prior to JCING were transcribed from teachings dic gave on Sunday nights, church study nights in Van Wert, “Spiritual 40 Club” events, and Chimes Hour Youth Caravan broadcasts. ALL OF THEM! I mentioned that dic at his most eloquent with a pen, rose to an average 8th grade level, so writing anything coherent, credible, and scholarly, was absolutely out of the question. So, the great teacher recorded everything he taught and would have Rhoda, then eventually, Donna Randall, Bernita Jess, and Peter J. Wade, along with David Anderson, to transcribe every teaching dic wanted included in his “package” of plagiarized platitudes and “research”. So, once J.E. Stiles, the real author of RTHST, led him into tongues, and dic bought Stiles’ book, “Receiving The Holy Spirit”, and used it to teach his new research on the “gift of tongues”, dic got on a roll. J.E. made it easy. He had already written the book!

The next step was taking B.G.’s “The Gifts of the Spirit” class up in Canada. Dictor took it the first time by himself, alone, basically barging his way into the opening session late, while BG was playing his violin before starting. Vic got home and immediately started teaching Dottie, Donnie, Karen, Mal and Jan George, and a few others. Then, the next summer, dic dragged Dotsie and Donnie with him to Canada and they took the class. That was the last time Vic credited BG with ANYTHING in TWI. 

BG had a big syllabus with tons of scripture references and his definitions of the 9 “gifts”, “keys to walking in the spirit”, the various names of devil spirits, “current” and in the Bible with every single bible record used in dic’s Advanced Class along with the teaching notes Dotsie, and Donnie took. Many parts of that syllabus became the syllabus for “Interpretation of Toungues and Prophecy” (TIP, & INT class) and The Advanced class, plagiarized literally verbatim.

Dic was teaching his own “Power For Abundant Living” classes now. Mimeographed limited syllabi and 3 hour sessions. As he was used to since Chimes Hour Youth Caravan, he had everything recorded, and then Rhoda would transcribe all the tapes. Then, she and Dotsie, and Karen would edit for spelling and coherence, and dictor would determine the content. Later, as people with greater technical and intellectual abilities came along, (Donna Randall, Peter Wade, Walter Cummins, David Anderson, Bernita Jess, Ken Klug, John Somerville, Bishop Pillai, Lamsa) more textual and MS evidence was brought to the fore and given the thumbs up or down by dic. Again, everything recorded and transcribed! This is how the orange book, the blue book, the green book, and the PFAL book itself were written. When I first took the class, there were no books! There was the syllabus, Christians Should Be Propsperous in booklet form, Are The Dead Alive Now (also softback), Studies in Human Suffering (on the Book of Job) and 56 separate little pamphlets called “the collaterals”, which were eventually compiled into the first three volumes of the “Studies In Abundant Living” volumes, blue, green, and orange.

During my first in-Rez year with the 4th corpse, dic held numerous research nights in the BRC with corpse and the research dept staff, which at that time was Walter Cummins, Donna Randall, Bernita Jess, and dictor as the head cheese and chief revelatory, to work on the final edition of the new JCING. Everybody was allowed to offer their thoughts, opinions, scriptural references, questions, counterpoints. They lasted 3-4 hours with a 1/2 hr break in the middle. They were really fun. But, the final writing was done as it had always been done since Van Wert. That’s why people notice the big difference in all the published works AFTER JCING. JCOP was the first book that was NOT based solely on transcripts of dic’s teachings. As a matter of fact, the body of the contents as well as the vast majority of it were NOT contributed by dictor at all! I can honestly say that the only thing dictor wrote in that book was the dedication! LOL!

That’s enough for now. I know there’s a thread somewhere in which Penworks and I basically describe dictor’s “research” and “writing” techniques and prowess. Can’t remember the name of it, or when it was. But, IIRC, it pretty much covers the entire process of “writing” piffle and TWIt books. It might also be called “The Way: Living in Lies”! Or, “How To Plagiarize Your Way To Financial Independence: Building A Fundamentalist Cult”. LOL!................peace y’all!

OMG........

This reminds me when, as in-residence twigs, we were each scheduled to attend Aunt Lydia's in New Knoxville.........to learn of "Dr. Wierwille's upbringing."

Gawd, were we indoctrinated or what?    LOL

Are The Dead Alive Now, as well as the entire “seed-boy” crap came from Bullinger’s article in his Research Journal, “Of Things To Come”, entitled “The Witch of Endor.....”, along with a BG’s teachings on devil spirits in his Gifts of the Spirit class. Dictor had all 23 volumes of “Of Things To Come”! Donna Randall showed me dic’s personal research library. It was in a wall safe in his office. I had access to them a couple of times, but that didn’t last after I asked some questions that Moggie-Pooh couldn’t answer. Dic stole almost all of Bullinger’s works, then sold them in the bookstore to validate that his “research” was original, and that Bullinger proved it. He even said once, “ I believe Bullinger would have gotten to Jesus Christ is not God had he lived long enough.” LOL! Same thing with RTHST. After even just a brief investigation of Bullinger writings with dictor’s “writings”, it becomes almost immediately obvious, that there are LENGTHY sections of many Bullinger works which are lifted almost verbatim by dic in many of his “writings”, but most definitely in his so-called “research”, and ALL the corpse night teachings on Romans, Ephesians, Thessalonians, and I&II Timothy. BTW, da forehead did the same thing with his “Lies & Deception” book too. The entire basis of his 8 great statements is lifted from appendices in Bullinger’s Companion Bible. Like faddah-in-da-woid, like son! LOL!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Are The Dead Alive Now, as well as the entire “seed-boy” crap came from Bullinger’s article in his Research Journal, “Of Things To Come”, entitled “The Witch of Endor.....”, along with a BG’s teachings on devil spirits in his Gifts of the Spirit class. Dictor had all 23 volumes of “Of Things To Come”! Donna Randall showed me dic’s personal research library. It was in a wall safe in his office. I had access to them a couple of times, but that didn’t last after I asked some questions that Moggie-Pooh couldn’t answer. Dic stole almost all of Bullinger’s works, then sold them in the bookstore to validate that his “research” was original, and that Bullinger proved it. He even said once, “ I believe Bullinger would have gotten to Jesus Christ is not God had he lived long enough.” LOL! Same thing with RTHST. After even just a brief investigation of Bullinger writings with dictor’s “writings”, it becomes almost immediately obvious, that there are LENGTHY sections of many Bullinger works which are lifted almost verbatim by dic in many of his “writings”, but most definitely in his so-called “research”, and ALL the corpse night teachings on Romans, Ephesians, Thessalonians, and I&II Timothy. BTW, da forehead did the same thing with his “Lies & Deception” book too. The entire basis of his 8 great statements is lifted from appendices in Bullinger’s Companion Bible. Like faddah-in-da-woid, like son! LOL!

Bullinger wrote "the Rich Man and Lazarus: an Intermediate State?" and  "King Saul and the Witch of Endor: Did the Prophet Samuel Rise at Her Bidding?"    Bullinger only wrote 2 works with titles in the form of questions.  vpw's book "Are the Dead Alive Now?" contains their contents. It's the only vpw book whose title is in the form of a question.  That's so blatant that the only "rebuttal" I ever heard on that wasn't  "no, he didn't rip off their contents entirely" nor "no, there was original material as well as that" but rather criticism I pointed out that the question format was copied in addition to the contents! 

Legally, vpw could have reprinted both books, bound them as one, added a preface all his own, added an intermission all his own, then added an epilogue all his own.  However, that would have shown all the work was Bullinger's- which the law and principled people insist is important but was the opposite of what vpw wanted.

• Upvote 2

Research Nights relating to JCING? Opinions and counter arguements allowed? Where are the transcripts of those meetings? This would be earth shattering for us Twits.

18 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The only 2 who claimed to have a special insight to the Bible.  I doubt that's a coincidence.  I suspect he saw a kinship with them. He let Lamsa even finish work on his "Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts" in his home. (Incompetent critics later claimed that was the standard Bible used in twi instead of the King James Version.)   As for Pillai, he invited him to teach more than once.  Both of them saw sales of their books in the twi bookstore.

Pillai claimed his understanding came from Eastern customs, and acted like the Telugu Bible was far superior to the English versions. Lamsa claimed his growing up in the Palestine area and familiarity with Eastern Aramaic and customs in Palestine gave him special insight into the actions 2000 years earlier in the same area, and with Palestinian Aramaic.  Pillai seemed nice enough.  Then again, so did wierwille, and we know how that worked out.

Lamsa grew up in Eastern Turkey, not Palestine. different cultures. Likewise India, totally different Asian culture, even different from China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.Mega egos just like Weird Willie.

4 hours ago, skyrider said:

OMG........

This reminds me when, as in-residence twigs, we were each scheduled to attend Aunt Lydia's in New Knoxville.........to learn of "Dr. Wierwille's upbringing."

Gawd, were we indoctrinated or what?    LOL

Yikes! Aunt Lydia? How apropos. 

More than 30 years ago now, I vividly remember imagining that TWI would become legalistic and extremely religious. It happened more quickly than I guessed it would.